Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Soaking Jasmine Rice

Hello everyone,

Do you have to soak jasmine rice prior to steaming? I am making fried rice tonight using jasmine rice and would like to know please.

THanks in advance

Quick answer is: No

Hello everyone,

Do you have to soak jasmine rice prior to steaming? I am making fried rice tonight using jasmine rice and would like to know please.

THanks in advance

no you dont have to soak it.

but you do rinse it.

i use a rice cooker as do most thais lol.

use less water so the rice is a bit more dry otherwise you have sloppy fried rice and doesnt seperate.

or cook it in the morning or the day before and put it in the fridge.

you steam sticky rice thuough.

best of luck.

Thais always rinse off rice before cooking. This gets rid of any chaff that may remain, as well as any rocks or bugs. And as advised go easy on the water! Use about 1 cup rice to 1 1/2 cups water. I detest soggy rice, which is what westerners almost invariably make. :P

The Thai way of making fried rice is to use leftover boiled rice. Waste not, want not. :D

Edited by Sam Hill

I have found, that with the rice cooker, when it is cooked and switches itself to warm, I switch it off and leave it for 5 to 10 minutes. If you leave the bugger on warm, it sticks to the cooker bowl.. Just my opinion. We only use Jasmine. (Hom Mali)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The only rice I know that you have to soak over night before you cook it is 'wild' rice..

Its a mixture of black,brown and white rices. The black rice especially is not commercially grown in great amounts anywhere in the world which makes wild rice alot more expensive than any of the white rices.

You have to soak it because black and brown rice are especially hard in texture, soaking cuts down the cooking time.

If you like white rice that separates nicely after cooking then wash it in slow running cold water.The water goes creamy coloured..that's the starch been washed away

If you like sticky rice, the type that 'claggs' together for sushi then don't wash it before you cook it.

The starch makes any rice stick together.

Endeth cooking lesson for today...heh...heh...