IGNORED

Australian Attacked by Elephant Trainer

bill391

Aussie tourist attacked by elephant trainer

Posted Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:30pm AEDT

An enraged Thai elephant trainer beat an Australian tourist with a hooked stick after the man criticised him for using elephants to milk cash from tourists, Thai police said.

Kingsley William, 41, suffered cuts to his arm, head and ear when the elephant trainer and guide, known as a mahout, attacked him with a hook used for controlling elephants in the northern Thai city of Chiang Mai.

An Australian woman, Kim Kavanagh, 31, was injured when she went to Mr William's aid.

Reports in Bangkok said the mahout, Bancha Niyomsakul, attacked Mr William after the Australian accused him of exploiting elephants to beg for money.

Thai police said Bancha became angry when the Australian tourists refused to buy bananas for the elephants and the two men argued, with the trainer lashing out at Mr William.

Elephants are regularly brought to tourist areas where mahouts ask passersby to buy bananas for the pachyderms.

Bags of bananas cost about 75 Australian cents or 20 baht.

But tourists are often critical of the practice, seen as a form of begging.

Mr William and Ms Kavanagh were not hospitalised following the incident and continued on their travels.

Thai tourism authorities and police have launched crackdowns against the practice of bringing elephants into cities and towns.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

So it would appear don't tell the buy with the bananas to sod off. It might be one thing to just walk on and not be a part of the whole thing and something totally different to stand up and say something. TIT

Aussie tourist attacked by elephant trainer

Posted Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:30pm AEDT

Thai tourism authorities and police have launched crackdowns against the practice of bringing elephants into cities and towns.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Heard of plenty of police crackdowns before but this is pretty unique. :What:

75 cents ... now I understand the concept of cheap charlie.

Ummm I guess that is one way to see it. It would seem that there was a bit more to it than the money...exploitation of animals maybe?

That said...The Ozzy is lucky to be alive - do not bring Western ideals with you to Asia or suffer the consequences!

Although I hate to hear about this sort of thing happening, it kinda makes me wonder what kind of people go to a foreign country on their holidays and start giving out to the locals. I mean they are tourists, in a 3rd world country, what do they expect? I don't agree with the elephants being taken around tourist spots but people gotta make money somehow...

On a side note, a few years ago in Pattaya, I was happily sitting at the bar minding my own business and a bargirl started laughing at me and she was pointing behind me, I looked around and there was a fucking elephant right behind me, I got a bit of a fright and I had to leave shortly afterwards to change my pants... :P

“Who are you to judge the life I live? I know I'm not perfect -and I don't live to be- but before you start pointing fingers... make sure you hands are clean!”. Bob Marley.

CountdownClockCodes.com

75 cents ... now I understand the concept of cheap charlie.

bigtime cheap charlie

elephant guides in places like chiang rai make 1200baht a month so a few hundred baht tip is a big thing to them

Farang = Walking ATM. TG's push the right buttons and money comes out. PIN = BBBJ

Is it just me, or is the money not the issue here? I never give them money because I disagree with what they are doing. That does not make me a cc, but instead is an example of me withholding support for something that I consider to be wrong.

The issue arose because the guy tried to teach. Pay and keep the horrific practice alive, or don't pay and know the "trainer" will move onto greener pastures (and the poor beast will be able to live a more normal life, if it is possible to return it to normalcy). Do not teach though - that was his mistake, and he was taught instead.

Ummm I guess that is one way to see it. It would seem that there was a bit more to it than the money...exploitation of animals maybe?

That said...The Ozzy is lucky to be alive - do not bring Western ideals with you to Asia or suffer the consequences!

What he said !

Stupid A-hole is lucky to get off so lightly

Improving one Issan girls cash flow , one cash grant at a time !

Brave woman.

Shoot, seems like in 97 percent of cases of 'conflicts' between Thais and foreigners, no one, let alone a woman, will intervene.

GFE: Gull Friend Experience

Official Pattaya Song

exploitation = "The act of using something in an unjust or cruel manner"

(it can also be a simple synonym for use ... but that is not what was implied)

Have any idea what water buffalo's and elephants are normally used for ? They are "beasts of burden".

Is it exploitation when a dog's master pats it on the head for shaking hands ? Is it exploitation when a horse is given an extra measure of oats and a good rub down after a hard ride ? Is it exploitation when a dog's trainer allows it play with its favorite toy after discovering a hidden cache of drugs ? Is it exploitation when volunteers at Thailand’s Tiger Temple take visitors in to have their photo taken with a tiger.

Want real examples of animal exploitation ?

The slab of beef on your plate at dinner (murderer).

The belt around your waist or the shoes on you feet (murderer).

The eggs on you plate at breakfast (abortionist).

Caged animals in a zoom (kidnapper).

Do you like baseball. The cover is made out of horse hide.

High quality paint brushes are made from camel hair (at least they do not have kill the camel).

The mahouts are responsible for the care and feeding of their elephant like a parent is for a child. Someone can become a parent by accident. A mahout has to earn that honor. If the mahout can not get enough "normal" work they bring the elephant into town to entertain the farang tourist. It is probably more of an embarrassement to the mahout than the elephant, but he (or she or heshe) is going to do what he has to in order for the elephant to get something to eat.

exploitation of animals ???

teaching ???

I have another animal term for it: male bovine organic fertilizer

Edited by lostagain
  • Like 1

Eh, I'm OK with Elephants walking bar to bar earning a living.

That's reality.

Modern world doesn't need Elephants for logging or anything really. If it wasn't for the tourist industry, the only elephants you would see in Thailand would be in a zoo. The rest would die out. They are not cheap to maintain.

:Grin_Jump1::LMAO1:

The eggs on you plate at breakfast (abortionist).

I think we've got it ! 2010' best topic !!!

I agree with 90% of your post, but this one is just great...

Eh, I'm OK with Elephants walking bar to bar earning a living.

Invite an Elephant (not be confused with a overly large female farang tourist) on the next Soi 6 bar crawl ?? Probably be a hit with the BGs/LBs ... but might be too much competition for some of the BMs.

Whether you agree with Elephants being employed in the tourism industry or not, I think that the guy decided to try and tell the locals what he thought of their choose profession. This to me is where this all went wrong. Had he decided that he didn't agree then kept it to himself then this would have worked out very differently. I think that this should be a warning for all those who think that they are morally obliged to have their say.