IGNORED

from Chicago

mustangcar

Probably the easiest would be to fly United to Narita, Japan, and then on to Bangkok. The only drawback is ugly flight attendants and poor service.

Could also fly to LA or San Fran and catch one of many asian carriers. (Cathay Pacific, Asiana, Thai, Korean, JAL, China Airlines, ANA, Eva) All probably have great looking flight attendants and service.

The hardest part about the first time going is just "making the reservation and doing it."

YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE. ENJOY LIFE TO THE FULLEST FOR THE FUTURE IS NOT GUARANTEED.

Do be aware that if you go once, life will not be the same and you will repeat your trip again and again.

if you fly united and do economy you can do a small upgrade and get economy plus for a small charge($175ish) for one way and you get a lot more legroom.. if you are flying any other class then tough nuggies... hahahaha...

Isn't there a United flight Chicago direct to Bkk? I remember seeing that on my hunt for a flight

Isn't there a United flight Chicago direct to Bkk? I remember seeing that on my hunt for a flight

It stops somewhere, probably Tokyo but it might have the same flight number for both segments. the only non stop to BKK from the US is on Thai Airways from LA

No nonstops from ORD to BKK. I think the confusion is United 881/882 are direct route flights from O'Hare to Suvarnabhumi with a stop in Narita.

From O'Hare, you've got a few options since ORD is a hub for both UA and AA.

From O'Hare, ANA, JAL and UA all fly through NRT (Toyko-Narita). AA offers routing on a codeshare through Narita on JAL or you have the option of going 3rd stop through LAX/SFO and Hong Kong or LGA (LaGuardia-NYC). Korean and Asiana fly through Inchon. Delta also flies there as well, but you'll probably need to layover in Minneapolis or Detroit first (and they also fly through Narita).

In terms of quality in flight, ANA or Korean will probably offer better service. It may come at a higher costs or fewer miles than you might earn if you're already a member of Mileage Plus or AAdvantage.

Easiest: Take Korean or UA round trip.

Best service: Korean

Highest Miles: UA or AA (flying JAL or ANA may not get you the mileage accelerators that you're eligible for if silver or gold status member).

What I'd do if I lived in the Chicagoland area:

• Economy Plus on United
  • Prestige (Business) on Korean

You do not want a middle seat for a 15+ hour flight so don't buy the cheapest fare.

Booking is easy and just check the board for taxi/bus service and accommodation reviews.

Good Luck

Edited by arbiez

• 2 months later...

I have Made 5 International trips from ORD. Japan(Delta). China 2 trips united and 2 trips Asiana. Would definetely have to reccomend Asiana. You will have a layover in Korea, but it is a very nice airport. The Korean based airlines have way better service.

The Asian Airlines generally have better service, but I fly United several times a month for work, so I take United. I usually get an upgrade.

You should minimize the number of connections, which is a bonus for United or Korean or JAL. You will only have one stop, which makes it basically a 24 hour flight.

Edited by whitty

I have Made 5 International trips from ORD. Japan(Delta). China 2 trips united and 2 trips Asiana. Would definetely have to reccomend Asiana. You will have a layover in Korea, but it is a very nice airport. The Korean based airlines have way better service.

I've had a good experience with Asiana as well. Used them to pop down to BKK after a biz trip to Korea. I was in a regular, cheapest-I-could-find economy seat and they still treated me like a valued customer. I was Gold on United at the time and that was good enough for them to offer me access to the biz-class lounge. I'll fly them again given the chance.

Edited by jasonbalmer

Leaving in two days on Korean Air. Delta and United has OLD FAT flight attendants and bad service. Price in advance was $1184 round trip. One stop in S.Korea.