IGNORED

Dec 5/6 Room Rate Surcharges

Kitsch22

Throughout the last 12 years or more I have stayed once or twice during every year at the Welcome Plaza hotel on Second Road. It is a bit disappointing that they have not seen fit to provide free WiFi but other than that I have had no significant complaints. The low season rate is reasonable and the 150 Baht per night price increase during high season is fair enough. I carefully avoid compulsory "gala dinners." However I have just been told by the Pattaya girl who makes my reservations for me that I have to suffer an increase of 300 Baht per night on 5 and 6 December. While I do not object to such surcharges at Songkran, for example, I do not recall being surcharged previously on the King's birthday. Does anybody know if this particular price hike is general in Pattaya hotels or is it a brainwave peculiar to the management of the Welcome Plaza?

Kitsch22

never heard of it for the 5th and 6th.

Thanks. That tends to confirm my suspicion that this is yet another minor rip-off. Although 600 Baht is not a huge sum, nobody enjoys being gouged. Unfortunately, I have prepaid for four nights; usually I would extend at the Welcome Plaza. Although I may perhaps be overreacting, I think that I shall now proceed to look for somewhere else to supply accommodation for the remainder of my stay.