IGNORED

Very short stopover in Berlin, nervous about the time!

The Viking

Hey, I've ordered this flight:

Flights

ROUTE

OSL - TXL

TXL - BKK

BKK - TXL

TXL - OSL

DATUM

VLUCHTTIJD.

15:05 - 16:40

18:00 - 10:10+1

12:15 - 18:05

21:25 - 23:00

As you can see, my plane is supposed to land in Berlin at 16.40 and leave for BKK at 18.00 at Tegel Airport.

How does a stopover work? I haven't done one since I was about 10 years old!

I have 1 hour and 20 minutes to catch the next flight, and I guess that I will have a hurry. BUT; How do I do with luggage? Do I have to wait for it at the baggage claim, then check in again or how does this work? Also, guess I have to be at the plane 30 minutes ahead? Is the airport big? :o

edit; also, what the fuck to do if the plane is delayed? This is really making me think to much and is why I allways take direct flights!

Kenneth

Edited by Knudde

I would assume that you would check your baggage (other than carry-on) straight through, from OSL to BKK, and never see it at TXL. You will probably have to go through security again at TXL, but an hour and 20 minutes should be plenty of time.

Bakwan

I would assume that you would check your baggage (other than carry-on) straight through, from OSL to BKK, and never see it at TXL. You will probably have to go through security again at TXL, but an hour and 20 minutes should be plenty of time.

Bakwan

Thanks Bakwan, I feel like a complete idiot when it comes to this stuff. I just hope it's on time and that I can get to my next flight. January in Norway is cold, and the flight may be delayed because of defrosting. Have you been to TXL?

Kenneth

most flights that i have been on with a stop over when you get off the plane you will see signs for arivals and transit just follow the signs for transit you bags etc will be loaded onto the next plane for you once you get to the transit area just look for your flight number and it will tell you the gate time etc, no extra security etc you should have loads of time

A Thai girls arsehole is just like a 9 volt battery you know you shouldn't but sooner or later you will put your tounge in it

Ok, that's good. Starting to get a bit reliefed now, strange after existing 22 years THEESE things are the ones making me nervous? lol!

edit; I see on wikipedia that AirBerlin uses hall A,B and C for Bangkok. Hall A doesn't have a transit zone so guess I'll cross my fingers for my plane landing at the C one.

what does this mean;

There is no transit zone, which means that each gate has its own security clearance checkpoint and exit for arriving passengers. Therefore, direct flight connections are not possible.
This is about Terminal A

and I guess this

The extended terminal now houses a transit zone for connecting passengers (which did not exist at any other terminal).

Gotta improve my english =/!

Edited by Knudde

Hey, I've ordered this flight:

As you can see, my plane is supposed to land in Berlin at 16.40 and leave for BKK at 18.00 at Tegel Airport.

I have 1 hour and 20 minutes to catch the next flight, and I guess that I will have a hurry. BUT; How do I do with luggage? Do I have to wait for it at the baggage claim, then check in again or how does this work? Also, guess I have to be at the plane 30 minutes ahead? Is the airport big? :o

edit; also, what the fuck to do if the plane is delayed? This is really making me think to much and is why I allways take direct flights!

Kenneth

Plenty of time, you'll be fine, all you're really doing is walking from one gate to another. Worst case scenario, the other gate is in a different terminal and it might take you a half hour or so. Once you check your bags in Oslo you won't see them again until BKK.

i take it that both legs of your flight are with the same carrier ?

if they are then your luggage will be checked throught to bkk.

if they're not you might have some fun

i take it that both legs of your flight are with the same carrier ?

if they are then your luggage will be checked throught to bkk.

if they're not you might have some fun

both are with Airberlin, yes!

Thanks Bakwan, I feel like a complete idiot when it comes to this stuff. I just hope it's on time and that I can get to my next flight. January in Norway is cold, and the flight may be delayed because of defrosting. Have you been to TXL?

Kenneth

No, I haven't been to TXL, but I'll be there about 3 weeks from now. I've flown in and out of many European airports, however, as well as other international locations, and my experience tells me that you won't have a problem. Yes, a delay from OSL could cause a problem, but it's likely that it wouldn't be late by more than 30 minutes, or so, at most (if delayed at all). That still shouldn't be a problem. But, if by some chance you do miss your TXL-BKK flight, the airlines are pretty good about getting you on the next flight (even if it's on a different airline). The probability of a significant problem is low enough that it's not worth worrying about.

I assume you're headed to Pattaya. Have a great time! I'm sure you will!

Bakwan

No, I haven't been to TXL, but I'll be there about 3 weeks from now. I've flown in and out of many European airports, however, as well as other international locations, and my experience tells me that you won't have a problem. Yes, a delay from OSL could cause a problem, but it's likely that it wouldn't be late by more than 30 minutes, or so, at most (if delayed at all). That still shouldn't be a problem. But, if by some chance you do miss your TXL-BKK flight, the airlines are pretty good about getting you on the next flight (even if it's on a different airline). The probability of a significant problem is low enough that it's not worth worrying about.

Bakwan

Yeah, I'm going to Patts. Thinking about trying BKK for a few days, but since it's only my 2nd trip I feel slightly more interested in going straight to Pattaya! :P

First time traveling solo also, including everywhere else too. So, will be interesting.

Edit; I sure hope they have in seat tv's where I can choose movies myself.. Problem is, last time I traveled thai and after that my flight experiences have never been the same! ;)

Edited by Knudde

Bakwan

Good advice. I used to stress over connecting flights and whether or not my luggage would make it etc. Then you realise there is nothing you can do about it and in my experience the airlines will make sure you are looked after even if you are going to miss your connection. Some people go crazy when these things happen but they never achieve anything. You just have to relax and know you will make it sooner or later.

The option of going to the flight deck and asking the captain to speed it up a bit or requesting the flight attendant go to the cargo hold and make sure your suitcase is there are probably not advisable however tempting. :D

Bottom line, then... you and your luggage will make it to BKK. Even if through some mishap that is no fault of your own you miss your connecting flight, your airline will take care of you. Don't worry. :)

• 2 weeks later...

have a similar thing coming up tomorrow. Flying out off brussels, with a stopover in Vienna, only 1h40 between flights. But with all the snow in Europe I'm expecting delays. I just hope both flights are delayed and not just the one out of Brussels. Reading the posts here has made me feel a bit better, but vienna is a relatively small airport, not much chance of Eva booking me onto another flight on the same evening. I'm dreading a night in Vienna airport after looking forward to my holiday for so long, but I guess getting nervous about it, isn't going to help. Fingers crossed... (i got a connecting flight in Bangkok to Udon with ThaiAir, have giving up on getting to that one!)

Trust me, it's paradise. This is where the hungry come to feed.

For mine is a generation that circles the globe and searches for something we haven't tried before.

So never refuse an invitation, never resist the unfamiliar, never fail to be polite and never outstay the welcome.

Just keep your mind open and suck in the experience. And if it hurts, you know what? It's probably worth it.

reeves.jpg

have a similar thing coming up tomorrow. Flying out off brussels, with a stopover in Vienna, only 1h40 between flights. But with all the snow in Europe I'm expecting delays. I just hope both flights are delayed and not just the one out of Brussels. Reading the posts here has made me feel a bit better, but vienna is a relatively small airport, not much chance of Eva booking me onto another flight on the same evening. I'm dreading a night in Vienna airport after looking forward to my holiday for so long, but I guess getting nervous about it, isn't going to help. Fingers crossed... (i got a connecting flight in Bangkok to Udon with ThaiAir, have giving up on getting to that one!)

I'm crossing my fingers for you!

• 2 weeks later...

Don`t worry Berlin-Tegel(TXL) is a small Airport - transfer time is more than enough and Air Berlin is experienced in fast transfers.

Last year I have passed through their hub in Palma de Mallorca (they rotate and reroute all spain passengers their in winter), it was pretty impressive every in the Airport they had personal which would point you to the right gate. :stargate001:

p.s.: Don`t forget to take the Frequentflyer Miles - Oslo-Pattaya-Oslo should give enough miles for another flight Oslo-Berlin-Oslo :Offtopic2:

Edited by pm1982

Proud member of the -Heavydrinking Hardcore Mongers Union of Pattaya-

Don`t worry Berlin-Tegel(TXL) is a small Airport - transfer time is more than enough and Air Berlin is experienced in fast transfers.

Last year I have passed through their hub in Palma de Mallorca (they rotate and reroute all spain passengers their in winter), it was pretty impressive every in the Airport they had personal which would point you to the right gate. :stargate001:

p.s.: Don`t forget to take the Frequentflyer Miles - Oslo-Pattaya-Oslo should give enough miles for another flight Oslo-Berlin-Oslo :Offtopic2:

Thanks pm! I did get my frequent flyer card in the mail the other day, does it get registered automaticly or do I have to bring it with me when I check in?

Bring it to the check-in. I would also keep your ticket-stups and control online later on.

I don`t know why, air berlin is usually pretty decent - I fly air berlin alot- but some how they sometimes screw up the miles.

Proud member of the -Heavydrinking Hardcore Mongers Union of Pattaya-

I'm used to travelling on standby tickets, if the flight is looking like it is going to be full they will not allow you to check in till the very last minute (sometimes 20 mins prior to departure) if a seat is available they check you in and print off a boarding card and you have very little time to make it to the flight as does your luggage through all the conveyors and x-ray machines etc... as a precaution I always hand my baggage receipt to a hostess and ask her to check that it has made it onto the flight which they are always happy to do, it puts my mind at rest at least.

An earlier poster got it spot on... if you are flying with the same airline you should be fine.

Kenneth

1. Take a look at this map of the layout of Berlin Tagel:

http://www.berlin-airport.de/EN/ReisendeUndBesucher/AmFlughafen/Terminalplan/TXL.html

2. Call your carrier and ask which terminal it will use for your incoming and onward flights (terminals and usually specific gates are fixed up well in advance).

On your timings, you should be off the incoming flight by 17.00hrs and will need to be at the gate for the onward flight by not later than 17.30. If both use Terminal A you should be OK, though the number of shops logos for Terminal C suggests that may be the on eused for intercontinental flights. That looks a very brisk walk from Terminal A.

3. Think about travelling with hand-carry baggage only, but as others have said, your baggage will catch up with you sooner or later. It will be ticketed through to BKK when you check in at point of departure.