IGNORED

GPS question

buttmint

...I have a Garmin Maps GPS60CSx.

Great unit, downloaded v9 of the Thai maps and unlocker code. Doing something wrong.

Or I have drainbamaged.

Anyone out there that can lend a hand? Pm me and we can meet up anywhere in Pattaya...

thanks!

ALL girls like it in the Ass. Not all know it....yet!

• 4 months later...

...I have a Garmin Maps GPS60CSx.

Great unit, downloaded v9 of the Thai maps and unlocker code. Doing something wrong.

Or I have drainbamaged.

Anyone out there that can lend a hand? Pm me and we can meet up anywhere in Pattaya...

thanks!

Did you solve your problem?

I've got the same unit and I've also got a v9 Garmin CD (which i bought doh).

It worked fine on a car unit I had, though I seem to recall doing it online.

I've copied the file onto the unit's SD, but zilch.

It doesn't show that any maps are present.

It's possible that the unit isn't reading the SD. I couldn't get my PC to find the card, though the unit was there OK, so I took the card out and loaded it through a card reader.

I seem to be stuck.

I've had a 60cxs for years, great unit . PM me with your unit ID and I will sort you out with a more re net Thailand map and a working code for unlocking it on your unit.

ความจริงเป็นสิ่งที่ไม่ตายแต่คนพูดความจริงอาจจะตาย                 

The truth is immortal but people who speak it aren't - Thai proverb

Karl's Thailand - My YouTube Channel

Garmin MPS 60CSx fans....

Yes, a great unit. With a v11 CD version of Thai Maps, you have to download to MapSource software on your computer first and then upload to your Garmin unit

via USB cable and port on back of 60CSx unit.

I had the v11 loaded onto my 2GB Micro SD card. I tried to load my Thai Maps ONTO my computer, no such luck.

I wanted to make a backup of my v11 Thai maps, guess this is not possible?

I joined 60CSx User Groups, etc. and then just resorted to using Google Earth v6 to view my routes and waypoints. Good enough, yet GE uses some weird spellings of towns.

Like "Soi Khao" for "Soi Dao." etc. Great to do a zoom-in on a series of waypoints when you get horrible lost and can reconstruct one's moves after the fact. The zoom-in and out feature

on GE is detailed enough. Many inexplicable dead-ends on Tai backroads.

I run Alkaline batteries when I have the 60CSx mounted on my mtn bike for long bicycle Thai trips....from Pattaya to Rayong, Kleang, Chanthaburi to Trat and back,

getting 18-20 hours per set of batteries, not bad.

I run from Pattaya to Ban Chang and back in under 4 hours, about 24kmph. Great back roads and reservoirs to explore.

Longer time if I diddle around in BC.

Then another pedal ride to Sa Kaeo, dropped down through Soi Dao, Chanthaburi and looped back to Pattaya.

My forays keep getting longer. If you do take long distance bicycle rides in the Kingdom, I have found that employing a CamelBack (knapsack reservoir drinking water system) is indispensable.

I can carry 6 liters of electrolytes much easier. I make a strong concentrate and then add a bag of ice from Seven. Works well. As you already know, there is food everywhere in the Kingdom.

I use RAM mounts to secure and swap out my Garmin between my Gary Fischer and Honda Wave i.

For my Wave, it is easy to do a power take-off and run 12v juice (power) to a quick disconnect.

The real artistry is making the mount to hold the unit.

I made my own out of aluminum and a RAM ball, employing the screw hole used as a helmet hook. Now my 60CSx is right over

my speedo, yet not scratching the lens.

www.rammounts.com

I got turned around in Pluak Daeng, due east of Pattaya. I trusted my N-arrow that is always displayed on the maps page as they are drawn out as you ride.

My hunches were screaming at me that I was going the wrong way, but found Highway #3245 heading north.

This is a great highway to take if sussing out this area. It gets better after you pass Highway #344. Rural and quiet.

The Moorise and MoonSet/ SunRise-Set feature is very helpful. You hit the vid button and the sun and moon do their dance.

Be sure to hit Menu>Set-Up>Enter>scroll to Calibration>Enter>shift to Altimeter>Enter and take your unit to the beach and hold 6" above the water and set your

unit to sea level. You are good to go!

Yes, there is a learning curve to using the 60CSx. I've read the manual about 20 times.

Written in Nerdese.

Too bad the 60CSx is not dual language. You can pick up a cheapie Nuvi in USA via amazon.com for about $80 USD / 2400b

BTW, the 60CSx in the Kingdom runs about $925 USD / 27,750b

Ouch.

Yes, a great unit. With a v11 CD version of Thai Maps, you have to download to MapSource software on your computer first and then upload to your Garmin unit

I had the v11 loaded onto my 2GB Micro SD card. I tried to load my Thai Maps ONTO my computer, no such luck.

I joined 60CSx User Groups, etc. and then just resorted to using Google Earth v6 to view my routes and waypoints. .........................

..................You can pick up a cheapie Nuvi in USA via amazon.com for about $80 USD / 2400b

BTW, the 60CSx in the Kingdom runs about $925 USD / 27,750b

Ouch.

Thanks for the answer. It looks like there's a lot of helpful info' there, including that I paid too much for the damn thing - doh.

I've got a BNISB unit, but as yet I can't get it, or my PC, to recognise any storage in it.

I've tried different cards and I've tried loading the mapping using a card reader - zilch.

I'll read what you wrote about d/l onto Mapsource again in the morning but atm I'm struggling to see how it's possible to load or read anything from storage that isn't there.

I just wonder if the unit is faulty.

Thanks for the answer. It looks like there's a lot of helpful info' there, including that I paid too much for the damn thing - doh.

I've got a BNISB unit, but as yet I can't get it, or my PC, to recognise any storage in it.

I've tried different cards and I've tried loading the mapping using a card reader - zilch.

I'll read what you wrote about d/l onto Mapsource again in the morning but atm I'm struggling to see how it's possible to load or read anything from storage that isn't there.

I just wonder if the unit is faulty.

Does it not recognise any micro-sd card? When you tried that map I sent you on the card reader could you see the 'garmin' folder I told you to make and the gmappsup file I said to place in side it? If you could see them on the map reader then the unit should recognise it.

It is possible that the map I sent was was corrupt (I haven't tested that one yet). We'll see how it goes and if you can't sort it I'll send you another cersion of the map unlocked for your specific unit.

Does it not recognise any micro-sd card? When you tried that map I sent you on the card reader could you see the 'garmin' folder I told you to make and the gmappsup file I said to place in side it? If you could see them on the map reader then the unit should recognise it.

It is possible that the map I sent was was corrupt (I haven't tested that one yet). We'll see how it goes and if you can't sort it I'll send you another cersion of the map unlocked for your specific unit.

All seems correct on the SD card when I look at it using a Card Reader, but the Device shows no maps available and when I connect the Device to the PC via USB, the PC recognises the Device but no Storage/SD Card in it and offers no actions for it. Properties says the Device is working properly but shows no storage.

I have tried 3 different MicroSD Cards, all of which work in my Nokia.

Currently the card has in it one folder named 'garmin' which contains the file named 'gmappsup.img' Zip file which you sent.

In Map Setup - Information, the box is blank.

At all times please bear in mind that I could be doing something really stupid.

PS - Could this Topic be moved to Technical, as I don't think it's Funny Shite any more. wacko.gif

All seems correct on the SD card when I look at it using a Card Reader, but the Device shows no maps available and when I connect the Device to the PC via USB, the PC recognises the Device but no Storage/SD Card in it and offers no actions for it. Properties says the Device is working properly but shows no storage.

I have tried 3 different MicroSD Cards, all of which work in my Nokia.

Currently the card has in it one folder named 'garmin' which contains the file named 'gmappsup.img' Zip file which you sent.

In Map Setup - Information, the box is blank.

At all times please bear in mind that I could be doing something really stupid.

PS - Could this Topic be moved to Technical, as I don't think it's Funny Shite any more. wacko.gif

It's a shame I'm not there as I could probably sort it in a few minutes. First priority is probably to try to get it tested with at least one micro-sd dard that is known to be working but that might mean going to a dealers. Tomorrow I'll create and send you another file to try. The only other possibility I can think of is that your SD card is formatted in an incorrect system, if the card reader gives you more than one option to reformat when you right click on the SD Card's drive letter (Maybe NTFS or FAT32) then try both, I can't remember off hand which system should be used or even if it's important but it's a possible problem. Also make sure that you have the latest firmware for your unit from Garmin as some of the earlier versions did not accept larger capacity cards.

It's a shame I'm not there as I could probably sort it in a few minutes. First priority is probably to try to get it tested with at least one micro-sd dard that is known to be working but that might mean going to a dealers. Tomorrow I'll create and send you another file to try. The only other possibility I can think of is that your SD card is formatted in an incorrect system, if the card reader gives you more than one option to reformat when you right click on the SD Card's drive letter (Maybe NTFS or FAT32) then try both, I can't remember off hand which system should be used or even if it's important but it's a possible problem. Also make sure that you have the latest firmware for your unit from Garmin as some of the earlier versions did not accept larger capacity cards.

Thanks. Maybe you could pop over?

Sorry, I forgot to say, I have tried formatting the SD Card in both Fat and NTFS.

I updated the firmware when I registered the unit with Garmin.

The cards I've tried are 2 x 1Gb and 1 x 16 Gb, but the latter only to check whether the PC could see it.

I have a Help call in to Garmin, which they should answer by Monday.

The only Garmin dealer I know of is in Bangkok. I don't know if there are GPS folk in TukCom.

If Buttmint is local to me, he has the same unit and switching cards back and forth would probably confirm whether the Device can read a card.

Thanks. Maybe you could pop over?

Sorry, I forgot to say, I have tried formatting the SD Card in both Fat and NTFS.

I updated the firmware when I registered the unit with Garmin.

The cards I've tried are 2 x 1Gb and 1 x 16 Gb, but the latter only to check whether the PC could see it.

I have a Help call in to Garmin, which they should answer by Monday.

The only Garmin dealer I know of is in Bangkok. I don't know if there are GPS folk in TukCom.

If Buttmint is local to me, he has the same unit and switching cards back and forth would probably confirm whether the Device can read a card.

Well, I know he's a bit of a Ban Chaang hound ! Yes, if he purchased his Thailand map on an official Garmin SD card then it should work in yours as well. If he loaded it himself through Mapsource then his SD card would not work in your unit as it would be unlocked specifically for his unit only. Trying the SD card with the file I sent you should work so long as it has been created, named and placed correctly. Wait until I send you that other file tomorrow and try that first.

Well, I know he's a bit of a Ban Chaang hound ! Yes, if he purchased his Thailand map on an official Garmin SD card then it should work in yours as well. If he loaded it himself through Mapsource then his SD card would not work in your unit as it would be unlocked specifically for his unit only. Trying the SD card with the file I sent you should work so long as it has been created, named and placed correctly. Wait until I send you that other file tomorrow and try that first.

OK thanks.

One question to anyone out there who has one, is whether, regardless of any or no data on the SD, it should show up as storage when I connect the Device to my PC?

On the Nuvi I had, it showed as mass storage and I could load MP3s and Pics or whatever on it.

OK thanks.

One question to anyone out there who has one, is whether, regardless of any or no data on the SD, it should show up as storage when I connect the Device to my PC?

On the Nuvi I had, it showed as mass storage and I could load MP3s and Pics or whatever on it.

There is a way of making it show as mass storage but I recall that it's buried deep in the menus and I can't recall where. Visit Garmin's website and download a PDF instruction manual if you don't already have one. I'll look for you later.

wow..lotsa back 'n forth on this topic. Good insights.

Just sent you a PM Edge about how to get ahold of me and we can meet up anywhere in Pattaya.

Preferably where there's WiFi.

One thing is for certain: when you feel helpless, just take a break from it all.

I know I'm a newbie, making his way as well with it.

The unit is pretty amazing. The zoom in and out buttons I use all the time.

Very slick keypad to punch in a Mark, which is really a waypoint. If you can stop, you can pull up the 60CSx's keypad and

punch in a few words to trigger your memory later.

You have MapSource or BaseCamp on your computer, correct?

There are some handy utilities to employ as well. If you type out your question into the Google Search bar,

you do get directed to various sites that might be of help.

I know, I know, I wanted to USE my GPS, not become a programmer.

Maybe two heads will be better than one?

BM

Just sent you a PM Edge about how to get ahold of me and we can meet up anywhere in Pattaya.

Preferably where there's WiFi.

Brilliant, thanks for all that info' and the offer.

It has a keypad???

There will now be an intermission. I was stupidly thinking it would be out of the box and go, like the Nuvi 230 was. No such luck.

I've got a busy day/night booked today with a birthday girl and then it looks like I have to give in and read the damn book before I waste anyone else's time.

As you said in one of your PMs, I seem to have a computer without an OS.

I will be back.

.......................... Trying the SD card with the file I sent you should work so long as it has been created, named and placed correctly. Wait until I send you that other file tomorrow and try that first.

EUREKAKAKA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The last file Doc sent me worked straight off. 001_Thank_You5.gif

Do I run with that or is it worth having a go with v11?

Anyway, I really do need to read the book and have a go with Mapsource now..............if the PC can see it................

Great news at last. I will look for another v.11 for you although they don't usually change that much between versions. V10.1 is fine for the time being.

EUREKAKAKA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The last file Doc sent me worked straight off. 001_Thank_You5.gif

Do I run with that or is it worth having a go with v11?

Anyway, I really do need to read the book and have a go with Mapsource now..............if the PC can see it................

.....Congrats Edge!

The main differences in the versions is some updated intersection in Krung Thep, or altitude variance on a flyover. Minor stuff.

Or maybe roads now what were once rice or tapioca fields.

I would suggest taking your 60CSx on a trip with you next time with the booklet. Skim the whole damn book beforehand in 15 minutes, just turn the pages, don't burrow in.

Then, while underway, you can see your unit come alive as it tracks your position. I usually just leave it at the "maps" page and watch new maps being drawn.

Sometimes my maps get drawn very fast, other times, slow, Do not know why?

Do NOT be at the wheel. Fun to sit on a bus and be next to the window. The 60Csx

can pull in signals from most anyplace. Great satellite reception. If you are on the "maps" page, use the "In" and "out" buttons, yes, this zooms you in

or OUT of what your maps are drawing as you are moving. Don't forget this "zoom" feature. Sometimes you are locked in at one extreme or another, easy mistake to make.

On the left hand side of the buttons of the unit as you hold it in your hand, you'll see one that says "Mark." This is also the MOB--'man overboard' button. If you had your unit on a boat and some guy fell off, you'd hit this button immediately to "mark" your position. As I ride along on motorbike or bicycle and I spy something I was to zoom in later with Google Earth, I hit the "Mark" button, or some crucial turn.

The 60CSx consists of a series of customizable "pages" like "acquiring satellites," "compass," "Maps," etc. You flit through them by hitting the "page" button.

Once you get more savvy with your unit, you can alter and change the array and order of these "pages."

You can also customize what colour of background you prefer.

Experience helps. You'll need about 1-2 months of dicking around with it. You'll keep getting better.

If you proceed too far in a "page" selection, hit ""quit" this is the same as "back."

Yeah, sometimes I think the Garmin guys in Kansas were smoking some funny stuff when they programmed this thing.....

not exactly intuitive, this is why Dr. O suggested downloading the manual if you lost yours. Or just read it online at the Garmin site.

www.garmin.com is also where you download MapSource, etc.

No matter what "Page" your unit happens to be on, once you hit the "mark" button, another page is highlighted that gives you the Latitude and Longitude and

other info of the "mark" or "waypoint" you just entered. Mark-waypoint-mob is same-same.

You'll see an area darkened down below. To get rid of this page, hit "Enter" and Garmin assigns a number to this

newly entered waypoint. OR, use the rocker switch in the center to "rock" upward. You'll see the darkened area move upwards on this Lat & Long Page.

It finally comes to rest (2-3 moves) on the latitude and longitude.

Press "Enter."

This brings the Alpha-Nuremic Keypad up, works great after you make every mistake in the book. Alphabet to the left, numbers to the right. Commands in the middle.

Hang in there.

You'll see the "A" highlighted, or darkened. I usually scoot over to the right and hit "Space" else, the typing begins right on top of the last Longitude description.

Then I type in some cue, like "344 n 3245"

I know what that means...the intersection of Hwy 344 heading south east and #3245 heading NE. I took my reading sitting at the Cop Hat on the SW corner of this intersection.

Okay, you are done typing, then what?

Move the cursor/highlight/darkened area over "Ok" Hit "enter" here and you then jump back down to the bottom, hit "enter" again

and you are free to move about.

Next time you are at the beach area, go to Menu>setup>enter>calibration>enter>altimeter>enter

Your unit will them ask you "...do you know the exact altitude?"

Enter "yes."

You can also use this feature if you are in the mountains and come upon a benchmark, also called BM.

In USA, these are brass caps used by the USGS to denote mountain tops, etc.

The 60CSx is +/- 10 feet. Close enough, what the hell?

Should you travel to another continent, be prepared to drive your 60CSx crazy for a spell as it reacquires a new batch of satellites.

You'll have to enter in a new Map Chipset anyway under the batteries.

At startup, hit "Menu" and you'll be prompted with a list of options, one of them being "is this a new location?"

Yes.....

Also, let's say you have taken a load of trips and your odometer/statistics "page" is reading a bunch of accumulated trips, how to zero out?

First, write down any info if you are keeping a distance log of your trip since you are about to zero all out.

Hit "Menu" You'll be offered a "reset" option. Hit yes. The you'll have a list of items to checklist or not...a customizable erase, sweet.

You might wish to keep certain info, up to you!

Before you get carried away, stop in at Tukcom and buy a pack of screen protectors as used for cellphones. You'll have to trim them to size.

I made a paper template first and then used this to cut the clear mylar screen protector. You don't wanna scratch up your screen. Trim first, then attach

after clearing your screen. Have heard that there is an anti-glare screen protector out there. Haven't found one, yet....

Do you gents use Google Earth in which to dump your data into and view, or use MapSource?

Have fun!

If Buttmint doesn't mind sharing (copying the contents) of his v.11 equipped SD Card then I can send Edge the tiny unlock file that will unlock it for his unit ( it might be unlocked for all units anyway). Let me know.

If Buttmint doesn't mind sharing (copying the contents) of his v.11 equipped SD Card then I can send Edge the tiny unlock file that will unlock it for his unit ( it might be unlocked for all units anyway). Let me know.

Q to Buttmint - Is that a possibility.

Q to Doc - Have we given up on the v11 you sent me first?

Do I presume the unlocker you sent with v10 wouldn't work with your v11? - Edit no it won't, just tried with another SD.

Edge...just sent you a PM, as well as one to Doc Winston...

BTW, should you go onto any "GPS Users" websites, be forewarned that they are filled with Garmin lurkers wanting to nip in the bud any and all

"sharing" of their Maps. I joined the yahoo users group of 60CSx Users to advanced my limited knowledge of how all works in the realm of GPSs.

I asked a simple techie question "...can I import v11 Thai Maps from my SD Micro card back onto my computer and into MapSource?"

Holy fook, I got jumped bigtime. "No, you cannot, blah blah blah."

I thought the guy was just some schmo wanting to assist me. Think again. It was Garmin own enforcement team, quite pervasive on the web to deter

in the sharing of ANY of their maps. You have to assume they are reading this very note now, eventhough P-A is supposedly guarded by password, easy to flaunt.

They are really insane about any free map upgrades being disbursed on the net. Just my humble opinion.

Q to Buttmint - Is that a possibility.

Q to Doc - Have we given up on the v11 you sent me first?

Do I presume the unlocker you sent with v10 wouldn't work with your v11? - Edit no it won't, just tried with another SD.

Well you haven't had any luck with that file so far so unless there was something you can think of that you might have done wrong I'd move on to another strategy.

Trust me, you do not need to use Mapsource. All you need to do is to copy the mapfile from your SD card to Edges, then maybe Edge will have to add a tiny file that I will create for him. Should take just a few seconds to copy.

Edge...just sent you a PM, as well as one to Doc Winston...

BTW, should you go onto any "GPS Users" websites, be forewarned that they are filled with Garmin lurkers wanting to nip in the bud any and all

"sharing" of their Maps. I joined the yahoo users group of 60CSx Users to advanced my limited knowledge of how all works in the realm of GPSs.

I asked a simple techie question "...can I import v11 Thai Maps from my SD Micro card back onto my computer and into MapSource?"

Holy fook, I got jumped bigtime. "No, you cannot, blah blah blah."

I thought the guy was just some schmo wanting to assist me. Think again. It was Garmin own enforcement team, quite pervasive on the web to deter

in the sharing of ANY of their maps. You have to assume they are reading this very note now, eventhough P-A is supposedly guarded by password, easy to flaunt.

They are really insane about any free map upgrades being disbursed on the net. Just my humble opinion.