IGNORED

Global Entry Trusted Traveler Program

Evil Penevil

I became a member of the Global Entry program in March and have since made four trips outside the U.S. - two to Canada, one to Europe and one to Thailand. Each time I re-entered the U.S. at Kennedy or Newark airports, it took me five minutes max to clear Immigration and Customs. That compares to anywhere between 30 and 90 minutes in the past.

The biggest advantage is that you can skip the line to Immigration control and use a kiosk that automatically scans your passport, takes your photo and reads your fingerprints. That takes less than a minute. The kiosk then prints a "ticket" that you hand over to the CBP agent as you exit the customs area.

Because all program members have been vetted as low-risk, "trusted" travelers, there's very little chance you'll ever be called over for a Customs' check, much less a "secondary examination."

This is the perfect solution for travelers who've had a hassle with Customs' checks in the past, assuming you haven't really done anything that would qualify you as a legit security risk.

You can read more about the program here: Global Entry . It only costs $100 for the first five years.

Evil

Edited by Evil Penevil
  • Like 2

sigmyvvv.jpg.cb46a0ab77905c40e6b49f00c43b583a.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hey evil

when you returned from thailand did you go through LAX. if so did the entry pass expedite you through the baggage claims area' it's always been a mad house for me there

Thanks for any info

jim2k

I've already got a NEXUS pass, which does the same thing but for Canada land border crossings only. I was worried about getting approved (I have two arrests for patronizing a prostitute on my USA record - no convictions though) but after providing documentation that showed the charges were dismissed (after paying fine and completing volunteer service time) and going through interviews with both US and Canadian customs, I was given the pass.

I don't think I do enough international travel to make it worthwhile. The $100 fee is the easy part, I'm guessing you have to set up appointments with Customs, go through the interview process, etc.

What exactly was involved in obtaining this?

we have a similar system here in Canuckland

but i refuse to pay for the privledge of being allowed back in my own country ! + theres no fooking chance i would willingly let a goverment agency have my fingerprints !

Hey evil

when you returned from thailand did you go through LAX. if so did the entry pass expedite you through the baggage claims area' it's always been a mad house for me there

Thanks for any info

jim2k

I have only re-entered the U.S at Newark Liberty and JFK airports. However, the Global Entry program wouldn't help you within the baggage claim area at any airport. It makes it possible for you to skip the lines at Immigration Control and the special "ticket" the kiosk prints out almost guarantees you won't be examined going through Customs, but you still have to pick up your suitcases from the baggage carousel in the usual fashion.

I solved that hassle by returning to the U.S. with only a carry-on bag and laptop. No checked luggage on the return trip. I go to LOS with a collapsible suitcase filled with gifts for my TG and her family as well as things I donate to one of the orphanages/children's foundations, but go back with only my laptop and carry-on with the collapsible bag folded inside.

I don't think I do enough international travel to make it worthwhile. The $100 fee is the easy part, I'm guessing you have to set up appointments with Customs, go through the interview process, etc.

The Web site has all the details, but basically you apply on line. The Customs and Border Protection then presumably run a background check. After 10 days or two weeks (roughly), they will notify you if you are eligible for the next step, the interview. You schedule it on line at one of the "examination points," usually an airport. During the interview, a CBP agent checks your ID (passport and driver's license) as well as your "proof of residence" (lease or utility bill), then takes your photo and fingerprints (electronically). He asked me a couple of questions, but nothing serious. He spent most of the time explaining how the entry kiosk works.

I had scheduled the appointment at Newark Liberty to coincide with my return from a domestic trip. The whole interview took 15 minutes. At the end, you get a little CBP sticker on the last inside page of your passport.

Besides saving time by avoiding the entry lines to Immigration Control, you'll also avoid the "special attention" and "secondary examinations" to which a lot of guys returning from LOS are subjected. If you're a "trusted traveler," you are excluded from the computerized "profile" lists that can involve "secondary examination," i.e., Customs searches your baggage and sometimes even your laptop.

Evil

Edited by Evil Penevil

sigmyvvv.jpg.cb46a0ab77905c40e6b49f00c43b583a.jpg

...Besides saving time by avoiding the entry lines to Immigration Control, you'll also avoid the "special attention" and "secondary examinations" to which a lot of guys returning from LOS are subjected. If you're a "trusted traveler," you are excluded from the computerized "profile" lists that can involve "secondary examination," i.e., Customs searches your baggage and sometimes even your laptop.

Evil

Interesting to hear that. When I had my briefing and got my sticker earlier this year there was no mention of this. In fact, they indicated that sometimes the kiosk will issue a slip directing a person to report to an agent for additional inquiry.

Do agree it's a good program. Perhaps a bit pricey in the view of some, but I'm happy with it.

I've already got a NEXUS pass, which does the same thing but for Canada land border crossings only. I was worried about getting approved (I have two arrests for patronizing a prostitute on my USA record - no convictions though) but after providing documentation that showed the charges were dismissed (after paying fine and completing volunteer service time) and going through interviews with both US and Canadian customs, I was given the pass.

The NEXUS pass is actually valid for air crossings from Canadian airports with US customs pre-clearance facilities as well, however you need to have your iris scan done to use these NEXUS air kiosks.

If you've already got a NEXUS pass then you can apply for Global Entry for no additional charge... Just log into your GOES account and apply for Global Entry. I don't believe that you'll need to do another interview, however you may need to have your fingerprint scan done if CBP didn't take them at the NEXUS interview.

Also, as of December 15th Canadian citizen NEXUS holders are eligible for Global Entry... Check your GOES account and you should see a note stating that you can now use the Global Entry kiosks at US airports.

If you do any travel to Canada the NEXUS pass is the way to go, as it's only $50 for the 5 year term and there's no additional cost to add Global Entry onto the NEXUS once you have it.

Fritzy

Edited by Fritzy

we have a similar system here in Canuckland

but i refuse to pay for the privledge of being allowed back in my own country ! + theres no fooking chance i would willingly let a goverment agency have my fingerprints !

Vancouver airport has recently gone all electronic. When I returned last week, I just scanned my passport and declaration card. It prints a copy and you just hand it in as you exit the secure area. I didn't actually talk to anyone!

Most recent trip report: Cambodia/Thailand/Myanmar 2012

• 6 months later...

Since the 9/11 attacks, airport and airline security have become extremely important in the US and round the world. Now the TSA will debut an experimental “trusted traveler” process in coming months. The goal is to make it quicker for frequent flyers to get through security checkpoints. I found this here: Trusted traveler program to be studied by TSA

Unfortunately, I live in Minneosta and fly out of Minneapolis. It is not one of the airports with the kiosks. I checked the website and they said they might expand to additional airports. Do you have any idea when that will happen?

what was the interview like? I think I'm going to try this out ,I hate standing like cattle waiting my turn for some stupid stamp. there is never enough customs people working in nyc.

also with government cutbacks I see this only getting worse

help

Most flights from Ireland pre-clear US immigration and customs before departing and then land like a domestic flight to the US. British Airways do a special business only flight to JFK from London City Airport that lands and refuels in Ireland so their Business customers can avail of the special treatment given to travellers from Ireland and avoid the hassle in the US when they land, also the plane can't take off from London City with enough fuel to make it to JFK as the weight of a full fuel tank would be too much for its short Runway, so they refuel in Ireland whilst the Business customers get fast tracked through immigration.

I just got my Global Entry approval. Like mentioned, you start out online and then after their review you are invited for the interview. You book a date and time online for the interview and show up with the invitation letter, passport and driver license. Some different requirements if you are a US resident but not citizen. Watch video for 6 minutes and then officer talks to you about program and asks a few questions but nothing seemingly probing. They mentioned if you are caught in violation of customers the fines are higher as you should know better and you lose your Global Entry privledges. The primary benefit is to not stand in line for 30-60 minutes which to me is like having a toll road pass rather than waiting to pay each time. The agent also mentioned that after collecting your luggage you can go into a different line and shorter line for Global Entry passengers down the right side of the que. You complete the declaration of what to declare or not at the kiosk and just hand that paper in as no need to do the paper form on the plane but should keep one with you just in case something goes wrong with the kiosk. There is the possibility you might be asked to have an inspection but probably less than other travellers. The agent mentioned a case of a lady who took an orange on a flight and kept it when entering the US. The dogs sniffed it and she was checked, fined and will lose her Global Entry. Unfortunate but they expect more from those in the program. Looking forward to using the program. One downside is that you may reach the luggage area way ahead of the luggage if they expect most passengers to take a long time to go through immigration.

Common sense is not very common.