IGNORED

help with words placement

changoo

in english , the sentence " i cannot go because of work tomorrow " would be

chan mai dai bai phro pron nee tam ngan kurp . but that's totally wrong !! "phro pron nee tam ngan chun bai mai dai kurp" makes more sense right?

so how should i place words exactly? like for example : (reason) ( yes/no ) ( chun/khun ) or somewhere along the line?

thank you very much guys

bai mai dai.. proh waa mee tham ngaan proongnee thawn chao..

i cannot not go. because i have work tomorrow morning...

mai dai bai = i didnt go.

Edited by joltme1313

bai mai dai.. proh waa mee tham ngaan proongnee thawn chao..

i cannot not go. because i have work tomorrow morning...

mai dai bai = i didnt go.

I'm not going to say that you are wrong, but I'm a little dubious of the use of "mee tham ngaan" here.

If using mee, I would say it as "mee ngaan ja tham"

I would say it slightly different and I don't know for sure if either is right or wrong.

"proongnee, bai mai dai.. proh mee ngaan ja tham"

or preferably..

"proongnee, bai mai dai.. proh thawng gahn tham ngaan"

Chasing girls can be expensive

But it's more expensive if you catch one

I'm not going to say that you are wrong, but I'm a little dubious of the use of "mee tham ngaan" here.

If using mee, I would say it as "mee ngaan ja tham"

I would say it slightly different and I don't know for sure if either is right or wrong.

"proongnee, bai mai dai.. proh mee ngaan ja tham"

or preferably..

"proongnee, bai mai dai.. proh thawng gahn tham ngaan"

Like english, there are many word placements available.

ต้องทำงาน เลยไปไม่ได้

dtong tam ngaan leey bpai mai dai.

I have to work, so I cannot go.

I've only ever heard leeuy bpai เลยไป used in the sense of direction

As in telling a taxi driver to go on a bit further.

So here เลย is used as therefore, so เลยไป is 2 separate words ?

Edited by Loong

Chasing girls can be expensive

But it's more expensive if you catch one

This is what I would say:

pomV bpay may^ daay^ pro_/ prung nii/ pomV dtoo_ng^ tam ngaan

I go not can bc tommorow I need work

or

i cannot not go. because i have work tomorrow morning

pomV bpay may^ daay^ pro_/ prung nii/ dto_n^ chaaw/ pomV dtoo_ng^ tam ngaan

I go not can bc tomorrow at morning I need work

V = rising tone

/ = high tone

^ = falling tone

Hope this helps. I can write this is Thai script if you want?

Edited by Ajay75

My understanding of women goes only as far as the pleasures.

-- Michael Caine (Alfie, 1966)

I would have thought that would be ไปเลย? I guess I just mean to use เลย as จึง or ก็เลย. i.e., therefore. Of course the speaker has to make sure to pause between the two sentences :)

A bit of advice. Learn basic sentence structure in Thai early on. Then as you pick up new vocabulary you can easily drop it into place. For Pete's sake, don't try memorising sentences by rote as some newbies do. Any good language course should teach you the sentence patterns first. Thais like to keep sentences to the minimum. Too many language books will teach you a formal, unnecessarily wordy way of speaking. Try to keep it short.

A bit of advice. Learn basic sentence structure in Thai early on. Then as you pick up new vocabulary you can easily drop it into place. For Pete's sake, don't try memorising sentences by rote as some newbies do. Any good language course should teach you the sentence patterns first. Thais like to keep sentences to the minimum. Too many language books will teach you a formal, unnecessarily wordy way of speaking. Try to keep it short.

Really? I haven't seen many newbies doing anything other than learning individual words, including myself at the beginning. Learning some high value phrases would seem to be a good thing to add to your bag of thai in the start to get thais talking to you more. Even little ones, where are you from, how long have you worked here, i want take care you. Isn't that the way the thais seem to have learned English and for their terrible grammar, their ability to communicate with such a small amount of English is pretty good.

To me, the only way to learn basic sentence structure is reading and using them. Memorizing high value ones will only accelerate your ability to communicate, so I have to disagree. BUT, on the other hand, don't spend all your time just memorizing sentences - but I've never heard of anything close to that.

I would have thought that would be ไปเลย? I guess I just mean to use เลย as จึง or ก็เลย. i.e., therefore. Of course the speaker has to make sure to pause between the two sentences :)

ก็เลย always follows a noun or subject

e.g.:

Pro_/ tanonV bpiak\ kun goo_^ lee_y dto_ng^ ra/ wang = The road is wet therefore you need to be careful

Pro_/ pomV may^ mii aray gin pomV goo_^ lee_y ja bpay suu_/ aahaanV = I have no food therefore I will go shopping

But the other 'therefore'

เพราะฉะนั้น

Raw chaa pro_/ chanaanV dtoo_ng^ riib^ riib^ = We are late therefore we hurry

จึง = so...

e.g.

Ho_ng^ muu_d^ jang, chuay^ bpee_d\ maan^ no_y\ = Room so dark, please open curtains a little

ก็เลย always follows a noun or subject

e.g.:

Pro_/ tanonV bpiak\ kun goo_^ lee_y dto_ng^ ra/ wang = The road is wet therefore you need to be careful

Pro_/ pomV may^ mii aray gin pomV goo_^ lee_y ja bpay suu_/ aahaanV = I have no food therefore I will go shopping

But the other 'therefore'

เพราะฉะนั้น

Raw chaa pro_/ chanaanV dtoo_ng^ riib^ riib^ = We are late therefore we hurry

จึง = so...

e.g.

Ho_ng^ muu_d^ jang, chuay^ bpee_d\ maan^ no_y\ = Room so dark, please open curtains a little

However, the subject can be dropped if understood from context :)

Also, I'm pretty sure จึง and ก็เลย are basically identical except that the former is only used in writing, no? I basically use ก็เลย and เลย pretty much interchangeably which may be a bad idea but I suspect the difference is subtle because it's pretty hard to discern from writing when exactly each is used. Maybe spoken language is different - do you know?

EDIT pra cha nan - more precisely means "because of that"

Edited by el_jefe

However, the subject can be dropped if understood from context :)

Also, I'm pretty sure จึง and ก็เลย are basically identical except that the former is only used in writing, no? I basically use ก็เลย and เลย pretty much interchangeably which may be a bad idea but I suspect the difference is subtle because it's pretty hard to discern from writing when exactly each is used. Maybe spoken language is different - do you know?

จึง is used in spoken quite a lot and is different to ก็เลย. I have never used ก็เลย without putting the subject before (like in the examples above) as this is what I've been taught by my teacher. The sentence patterns between speaking and writing are the same with the exception of some words which are only used in written language.

เลย is used generally at the end of sentences and can be used in different ways:

May^ .... lee_y - May^ daay^ tam aray lee_y (I didnt do anything at all)

Suay^ maak^ lee_y - So beautiful

Choo_b\ tang/ lee_y - Like the whole thing

Mua_nV gan lee_y - Exactly the same

There are other meaning of lee_y but it depends on the sentence you create. Hope this helps.

Leey can also mean 'therefore' and it's use is correct in the sentence.

ความจริงเป็นสิ่งที่ไม่ตายแต่คนพูดความจริงอาจจะตาย                 

The truth is immortal but people who speak it aren't - Thai proverb

Karl's Thailand - My YouTube Channel

His u8sage of the word was correct, see my previous post.

Like english, there are many word placements available.

ต้องทำงาน เลยไปไม่ได้

dtong tam ngaan leey bpai mai dai.

I have to work, so I cannot go.

Leey can also mean 'therefore' and it's use is correct in the sentence.

His u8sage of the word was correct, see my previous post.

I'm not sure what you mean. Are you confirming my usage in the first post?

I thought what he was saying was that in addition to the way i used it as therefore/so, one might say เลยไป to mean continue on as in dt®ong bye or dtau bye (ต่อไป) and I said I thought it might be they're saying bye leauy rather than lauey bye??

I've never heard leuey bye, but I don't use that many taxis nor am i in situations where a thai person is telling me where to drive, but I would use dtrong bye but i could imagine bye leuey being used, but I doubt it would sound that good (nor be very well received) coming from a white man :)

Or do you mean the sentence is "therefore, (you) go" ?? That doesn't make much sense to me??? Unless the preceding sentence is I don't like you or you smell or something and I would add "should" before go or "would be better" after go.

Edited by el_jefe

จึง is used in spoken quite a lot and is different to ก็เลย. I have never used ก็เลย without putting the subject before (like in the examples above) as this is what I've been taught by my teacher. The sentence patterns between speaking and writing are the same with the exception of some words which are only used in written language.

เลย is used generally at the end of sentences and can be used in different ways:

May^ .... lee_y - May^ daay^ tam aray lee_y (I didnt do anything at all)

Suay^ maak^ lee_y - So beautiful

Choo_b\ tang/ lee_y - Like the whole thing

Mua_nV gan lee_y - Exactly the same

There are other meaning of lee_y but it depends on the sentence you create. Hope this helps.

I'm gonna have to respectfully disagree. Leey is definitely used all over the place as "so, therefore" and w/o the noun. e.g., พวกเราพลาดรถโดยสารเที่ยวสุดท้ายเลยต้องเดินกลับ we missed the last bus, so we had to walk home. reference: http://www.thai-language.com/id/220005.

จึง is defined as a formal word at TL, so typically used in formal spoken language or books: http://www.thai-language.com/id/131408. I haven't heard thais using it very often. Maybe i'm listening to the wrong people :)

jeung is defined as, "so, therefore, thus" at thai language as well as the royal institute: แสดงความที่เป็นผลเนื่องจากเหตุข้างหน้า เช่น ทําดีจึงได้ดี.

EDIT: เลย's definition includes that it's a conjunction and has จึง next to the abbreviation for the word conjunction ( สัน.) which I would guess means they're defining it as จึง. Although sometimes the ris seems to define things the way they want them to be, and not the way they are in practice.

เลย : ก. พ้นหรือเกินจุดที่กำหนด เช่น เลยเวลาเที่ยงไปตั้งนาน รถเลยบ้าน ไปแล้ว อายุเลยวัยกลางคน. ว. ใช้ประกอบหน้ากริยาแสดงว่ากระทำ กริยาอีกอย่างหนึ่งต่อไป เช่น จะไปซื้อของแล้วเลยกินข้าวนอกบ้าน ผมเปียกแล้วเลยสระผมเสียด้วย; ใช้ประกอบหลังคำอื่นเพื่อเน้นความ ว่า ทันที, ทีเดียว, เช่น ออกจากนี่แล้วไปเลย ไม่ต้องแวะเวียนที่ไหน พอนั่งโต๊ะก็กินเลยไม่รอใคร อายุ ๗๐ แล้วยังดูหนุ่มอยู่เลย; โดยสิ้นเชิง, แม้แต่น้อย, เช่น ไม่เชื่อเลย ไม่เห็นด้วยเลย ซื้อของจนเงินหมดกระเป๋า เลย. สัน.จึง เช่น ทำถ้วยเขาแตกเลยต้องใช้เงินเขา รถเมล์จอดพ้นป้าย ไปมาก เลยต้องเดินย้อนกลับมาใหม่.

Here's an example from TL with ก็เลย and no noun: เขาคิดขึ้นว่าอายุของตัวเองก็ใกล้เบญจเพส จะตายโหงเมื่อไรก็ยังไม่รู้ ก็เลยตัดสินใจบวช

Maybe the difference is the ก็ strengthens the therefore - is that what you meant when saying they're quite different? unfortunately i cannot find a definition for ก็เลย online in thai.

ps I agree (like English) sentence patterns in writing vs speaking are basically the same (although like english writing may be slightly more verbose/correct/formal whatever). But, what I sloppily asked was whether in speaking it might be easier to discern the difference between ก็เลย and เลย by the speaker's facial expression, stress, etc. that was an ill posed question.

Edited by el_jefe

I'm not sure what you mean. Are you confirming my usage in the first post?

I thought what he was saying was that in addition to the way i used it as therefore/so, one might say เลยไป to mean continue on as in dt®ong bye or dtau bye (ต่อไป) and I said I thought it might be they're saying bye leauy rather than lauey bye??

I've never heard leuey bye, but I don't use that many taxis nor am i in situations where a thai person is telling me where to drive, but I would use dtrong bye but i could imagine bye leuey being used, but I doubt it would sound that good (nor be very well received) coming from a white man :)

Or do you mean the sentence is "therefore, (you) go" ?? That doesn't make much sense to me??? Unless the preceding sentence is I don't like you or you smell or something and I would add "should" before go or "would be better" after go.

Yes, I was confirming your usage as being correct. I responded to your later post by mistake, thinking it was somebody else. challenging your use of the word. Leey pai is common usage meanin 'go further' i.e.'leey pai iik nit nung' = go further just a little.

Leey in the context that you used it (correctly) means therefore. i.e. Khaw pen khon (thee) mai dee chan leey mai choop khaw = He/she is a bad person, therefore I don't like him/her.

Yes, I was confirming your usage as being correct. I responded to your later post by mistake, thinking it was somebody else. challenging your use of the word. Leey pai is common usage meanin 'go further' i.e.'leey pai iik nit nung' = go further just a little.

Leey in the context that you used it (correctly) means therefore. i.e. Khaw pen khon (thee) mai dee chan leey mai choop khaw = He/she is a bad person, therefore I don't like him/her.

I now see on thai language.com it includes "further; beyond; more" as part of the definition of leey.