Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Thai / Cambodian mobile rental

Frosty

I'll be in Thailand and Cambodia for two weeks. I've found out they don't work on the same frequency as the phones I have so I was looking into renting a mobile phone for the duration. I've heard they have a lot of unlocked phones and SIMs you can load, but should I be looking for anything specific to work in both countries? I'll need to stay in contact with my work location in case of emergencies so I figure 10-15 hrs of talk usage should be fine. If I need anything longer I can stop somewhere or hit the hotel to turn my Skype on.

First time doing the mobile phone deal. Any recommendations are appreciated.

Just buy a cheap phone when you get here, around 750 - 900 baht will get you a serviceable phone, it will work here and in Cambodia.

Get a Cambodian sim while your there, they are cheap both here in Thailand and in Cambodia, a few of my mates have a cheapie that they keep just for when they are here.

Bam Bam

That which doesn't kill me only makes me stronger

Just get buy a cheap one when you get here. It will work in both countries. For Thailand buy a pre-paid SIM card. I don't know about Cambodia but I suspect it will be similar.

Also you will only need to pay for out-going calls. Unlike in North America the person making the call pays for it with no charges made to the receiving mobile phone.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

Sounds like a plan. But, if I have this sorted out right I'll need a separate SIM card for each country. There's no SIM that will work in both countries?

A Thai 'Happy' sim (DTAC) will work fine in Cambodia if you turn on the happy go inter feature.

It does mean the person calling you needs to call a thai number - if you are using it so BG's can contact you the this may put off some khmer girls as they have to pay a higher price to call you.

Now, as for the phone itself, virtually any modern mobile will work in both countries, if it is a tri or quad-band phone then it will work fine. If you are with Verizon in the USA then they are similar to Telstra 'NextG' in Australia where they use a unique frequency (850 MHz HSDPA) for 3G connectivity, but as neither Cambodia or Thailand had 3G then it doesn't matter, the phone will switch to the other frequencies to pick up a 2G signal (as long as you make sure your network options in your settings are not set to 3G only)

Nope, no one other than work will get this mobile number so that sounds like a plan then. The Happy sim it is.

Nope, no one other than work will get this mobile number so that sounds like a plan then. The Happy sim it is.

You will probably pay through the nose for roaming calls in Cambodia, personally I'd go the sim in each country route.

I bought a "Beeline" sim at the airport in Phnom Pehn, sim US$3, put US$5 credit on it and did the same for my wife, she called her friends in Thailand everyday and believe you me, she can talk on the phone for hours, and it lasted all week, on the other hand I hardly used mine, made one call from here in Thailand when I got back (lost my Thai sim over there) and it emptied the credit in seconds.

From memory the charges were, 6c a minute local and only 7c a minute for international calls, cheap as chips.

Bam Bam

That which doesn't kill me only makes me stronger