Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Got Verizon - Need Info? - Look Here

miked818

I live in the states and my carrier is Verizon. Most people don't realize that Verizon does NOT use GSM networks, but uses CDMA networks. You can NOT just pop a Thai SIM card into your phone.

For my first trip to LOS, I picked up a cheap phone from eBay for $20. It is a Motorola v180 - a basic clam-shell design. I made sure that it was the proper frequency and the charger was dual voltage before purchasing. The phone worked perfect and actually stayed charged for a long time (3 days). It was nice knowing if I lost it, it didn't matter. The problem is that I missed all the cool gadgets on my smart phone, especially the camera. Also, texting sucked on it. I found while I was in LOS that my Verizon phone actually got a good signal. I didn't use it much because I was afraid of the charges. I was thinking of using it on my upcoming trip and called Verizon to found out the costs. They are:

Voice - US$1.99/min

Send SMS - US$0.50

Receive SMS - US$0.05

Data - US$0.02/KB

I will continue to use the cheap GSM phone!!

Also if any one wants to rates to call Thailand from Verizon. They are (prices in US$):

Standard Rate per min(Landline Terminating) $1.99

Standard Rate per min(Mobile Terminating) $2.49

$3.99 Int'l Value Rate per min(Landline Terminating) $0.24

$3.99 Int'l Value Rate per min(Mobile Terminating) $0.26

Rate per Message Sent $0.25

Rate per Message Received $0.20

Rate per Picture/Video Sent $0.50

Rate per Picture/Video Receive $0.25

The $3.99 Int'l Value Rate is available if you sign up for $3.99 per month International plan.

Ya, v180 is the cheapest quad-band on Ebay. Used one on my trips to LOS for a few years. Finally upgraded to a Samsung T129 so I could have a camera in the phone.

When I need my smartphone apps, I fire up the WiFi on my Verizon Droid, turn off the radio, and things are good. Can even use Skype. Need to be near a Wifi hotspot, but then again I don't want to make a habit of thinking about the real world anyway.

Did you mean Samsung T219?

I have a Droid X, thanks for reminding me I can turn off the radio and use WiFi. I use Google Voice, not sure if that works over the WiFi, need to test.

My TGF got a knock-off Samsung with Droid OS and dual SIM for $60 over at the IT Tower (teckum?). I was thinking of picking up one of those to use and giving to my son to use as an MP3 player.

• 1 month later...

Quick Question..I will be heading to LOS in about 2 weeks and I have a Blackberry Storm through verizon..can I unlock it in Pattaya and use it? Then when I go back to the states just pop the verizon sim back in?

NO, you cannot. Most Verizon phones do not have SIMS. The Blackberry 8830 world phone is the one exception I am aware of.

Your Verizon phone will work in Thailand, but you will have to pay the rates I listed above. You can pick up an unlocked phone before you leave or get one there. If you want to get one there, just go to Big C or Tesco. I wouldn't recommend Tukcom tower unless you really know your phones. There are so many choices there your head will explode. Plus, they also sell used phones and copies of good phones.

I previously wrote about my TGF's imitation Samsung. It died in about 3 weeks. I bought her a new i-Mobile phone (Thai company) last time I was there for 3000 baht. It had camera, touch screen, dual SIM and several other options.

You can get a basic phone for less than 1000 baht. My TGF said i-Mobile has been around for years. There was another Thai manufacturer she had never heard of. I believe it was Gen-e.

Thanks...I guess I just bought an unlocked Storm 2 for nothing...that sucks. It is not connected to a service yet..

Quick Question..I will be heading to LOS in about 2 weeks and I have a Blackberry Storm through verizon..can I unlock it in Pattaya and use it? Then when I go back to the states just pop the verizon sim back in?

As someone has already told you, Verizon is not a SIM system, but CDMA, so you cannot "pop in" a Thai Sim. The only phone services in USA that use SIM's are AT&T and T-Mobile. You can unlock those phones, say on the 4th floor at MBK in BKK, and then pop in a Thai Sim, and then when back in USA pop the US sim back in. Or you can buy an unlocked phone from Amazon or E-Bay, or buy an unlock phone in Thailand, and then pop your USA sim back in it when you get home. The only thing you will have to add when you get back to the the USA is the phone number to get your messages from your service (either AT&T or T-Mobile)--they will supply you with that and you can simply add it.

I know I got a hard head as my wife says in Thai (strong Head) so leave me alone. To be honest I really don't care about the phone..I just didn't want my wife to do the usual and thinks she knows the answer to the unlocking thing and then be wrong and i am holding a huge cell phone bill. And besides that I keep getting conflicting answers from other sources. I was told you could change from the global network on the network options to a GSM network and use the SIM. I did buy the phone from Ebay (unlocked). But thanks for your reply it did help.

I know I got a hard head as my wife says in Thai (strong Head) so leave me alone. To be honest I really don't care about the phone..I just didn't want my wife to do the usual and thinks she knows the answer to the unlocking thing and then be wrong and i am holding a huge cell phone bill. And besides that I keep getting conflicting answers from other sources. I was told you could change from the global network on the network options to a GSM network and use the SIM. I did buy the phone from Ebay (unlocked). But thanks for your reply it did help.

This is not a big mistake. You can always resell it on eBay or Craigslist and get your money back. You could possibly take it an independent cell phone shop and trade for a GSM phone. The Storm is still in demand so it should be easy to sell.