IGNORED

water safety in patts

changoo

Hello BM's just a quick question about the water in patts, I know you cant drink the water there but is it ok for you to brush your teeth and rinse your mouth out with the water in the hotels or guest houses without getting sick, will be out there in november and this is a slight concern to me, I like to use a tounge cleaner and you have to rinse after every stroke so would just like to know if I can use the tap or have to use bottled water which will be time consuming and a bit awkward I should imagine, anyway thanks for reading and please let me know.

It's not recommended for foreigners to use water from the tap. It's safest to use bottled water for everything - including brushing your teeth. Even if the chances were slim for you to get sick, why risk it? Every place I have stayed in has provided at least a couple bottles of water each day. If you need more bottles of water, they are dirt cheap, and lots of 7-11's and FamilyMarts around.

The only times I use non-bottled water is to shower (and even then I avoid getting it in my mouth), flush, or wash something.

Good advice smb!

I run a water filtration business here in Thailand mostly Pats.

Here is a picture of backwash water (City supplied) after 2 weeks from a Point of Entry Filter with zeolite media.

P.O.E backwash sample (Small).jpg

Be prepared for a dose of the shits anyway.

The change in food will do it alone.

I have had 4 cases of food poisoning in the last 6 yrs here in LOS and 3 were from Farang food.

Not wanting to scare you, just talk some basic precautions like rinsing your mouth with Listerine.

Generally speaking you will be OK and it is not as bad as other places I.e (India)

Bushy :GiveBeer1:

Edited by Bush Pig

May all beings be free from suffering and the causes of suffering. "Hari Om Tat Sat"

Sorry for the double post. happened when editing.

Hopefully a mod can take the second one out!

May all beings be free from suffering and the causes of suffering. "Hari Om Tat Sat"

Another tip -

swimming is also a hazard.

80% of eye, ear, nose and throat infections for Farangs are from swimming pools.

If you swim try keeping your head above the water.

If not then close your eyes

Also after drop a little mentholated spirits in your ears after swimming.

Otherwise have a great stay :LMAO1:

i use tap water to wash my tooth brush etc, but bottled water to rinse out my mouth, and bottled water to make coffee etc. If your on a quick holiday, its always better to safe than sorry and just use bottled water - would be bad to fly all the way to thailand and get sick and waste it.

Farang = Walking ATM. TG's push the right buttons and money comes out. PIN = BBBJ

• 2 weeks later...

The water in Thailand is literally shit. Try to avoid contact with it.

Drink beer instead. Heck, brush your teeth with beer.

:Bow5: Love it, Tap Water 'dont brush ya teeth in it' :D but muff dive as many PRO's as ya like ! boil it 1st, dont tell me you ya do that 1st too :LMAO1: Edited by visage

The water in Thailand is literally shit. Try to avoid contact with it.

The rain water also burns holes in your eyes on contact :LMAO1:

Sorry but love Nahm comments, (ex-military) Ok I wouldnt drink ltrs of Thai tap water on a daily Basis, but not brushin ya teeth with it :LMAO1:

(good luck to all who brush teeth with bottle water and spend afternoon down soi 6) :Bravo1:

Edited by visage

Been here for 4 years now and at first only brushed my teeth and made my coffee from bottled water, gave up on that ages ago.

I have been making my coffee from tap water for ages, I also use it to brush my teeth, but I'm extremely vigilant about not swallowing the unboiled water and I am yet to get anything nasty from it.

Hell I had a dose of Giardia back home in Oz from Tank water, so water anywhere can get you if your not careful. But if your here only for a week or 2 then perhaps you should stick to the bottled water.:Dehydrated:

:Chokdee:

Bam Bam

That which doesn't kill me only makes me stronger

Been here for 4 years now and at first only brushed my teeth and made my coffee from bottled water, gave up on that ages ago.

I have been making my coffee from tap water for ages, I also use it to brush my teeth, but I'm extremely vigilant about not swallowing the unboiled water and I am yet to get anything nasty from it.

You're braver than me mate.My tank water's so bad I asked on here what to do about it and a US Army BM sent me leaflets on the subject.

Basically now I put bleach in the tank once a month which is helping in cleaning the water a bit but there's no way I'd make coffee with the tap water.Bottled all the time for that and cold drinks.

You're braver than me mate.My tank water's so bad I asked on here what to do about it and a US Army BM sent me leaflets on the subject.

Basically now I put bleach in the tank once a month which is helping in cleaning the water a bit but there's no way I'd make coffee with the tap water.Bottled all the time for that and cold drinks.

Back home after the Giadia, I spoke with a mate in that water purification game, told me that the simplest way of killing off the bugs in my rain water tanks, was to toss a few Pool Chlorine Tablets in the tank, then I bought a small Brita activated charcoal filter, that screwed straight onto the spout in the kitchen sink, that fixed that problem.

But boiling it does the job as well, that's why I have no real issues with using it for my coffee, the inside of your kettle is a fair indication of just how much crap and minerals are in the water and to be honest, my kettle here has almost no deposits in it unlike the one I had back home.

Bam Bam

Small amounts of the water don't contain enough bacteria to infect you; showering, teeth brushing & arse blasting are nothing to worry about. I've drunk a few gulps from the tap without thinking before & haven't suffered any major side effects; except all the killing.

Just don't drink the Cool-aid!

Peace. :GoldenSmile1:

sgu_banner.gif

Back home after the Giadia, I spoke with a mate in that water purification game, told me that the simplest way of killing off the bugs in my rain water tanks, was to toss a few Pool Chlorine Tablets in the tank, then I bought a small Brita activated charcoal filter, that screwed straight onto the spout in the kitchen sink, that fixed that problem.

But boiling it does the job as well, that's why I have no real issues with using it for my coffee, the inside of your kettle is a fair indication of just how much crap and minerals are in the water and to be honest, my kettle here has almost no deposits in it unlike the one I had back home.

Bam Bam

It was the colour of the filter on the washing machine that made me realise,it was green after only a month or so.

Maybe it's just me but I'll stick to the bottled water for the coffee etc.Still flush my mouth with tap water after brushing and so far not had a problem with the shits.

I wonder if we're on the same pipeline or not ?

Something else that's not a bad indicator of how much crap is in the water is, fill a clear container with a litre or 2 of tap water, cover it and allow it to stand for a week or so without disturbing it and see what settles out of it, it can be quite disturbing.

:OMFG:

Bam Bam

I live since 15 years in Asia and Africa.

While in Thailand I always brush my teeth with tap water.

Only the water I drink I get from the vending machine at my condo.

1 bath per litre.

Never had any problems but maybe I am just used to it due to my constant exposure to different germs from all over the world.

Dehydrated.gif

It is really UP TO YOU.

I've always used tap water from hotels in Thailand for brushing teeth and never had any issues. For drinking I only use bottled water.

I remember reading advice somewhere that to allow your body to adapt to local microbes, brushing teeth with tap water is an effective method.

GFE: Gull Friend Experience

Official Pattaya Song

P.O.E backwash sample (Small).jpg

10 minutes later

Make your own decision!:GiveBeer1:

POE Backwash sample 3 Dec 06.jpg

I live since 15 years in Asia and Africa.

While in Thailand I always brush my teeth with tap water.

Only the water I drink I get from the vending machine at my condo.

1 bath per litre.

Never had any problems but maybe I am just used to it due to my constant exposure to different germs from all over the world.

Dehydrated.gif

i did not beeing exposed to many germs true the world and brush with pipe water and drink the machine water (first i did not trusted it as my Tgf wished to used for me) and never problems for more then 2 years beeing here in TH.

laughing myself if i remember to use Bottled water before to coock my food..... :Laugh1:

Non native English writing poster, not using a spell checker !! 

Drink beer instead. Heck, brush your teeth with beer.

lol. I actually did that because I ran out of water and I was paranoid of the tap water.

I don't recommend it - I nearly chucked.

single-mum.jpg

post-1-0-28227900-1338976307.gif

Always used the tap water for cleaning me teeth every thailand trip-7 visits with no ill effect,mainly too lazy to use bottled water.