IGNORED

who to contact when you have a problem with the BIB

dickdasterdly

Who to contact when you have a problem with the BIB trying to scam you or extort a bribe?

This has always been the problem in pattaya but as has already been reported elsewhere on the forum ---Howard Miller is now the Honorary Consul for the UK in Pattaya/Jomtien,------the interesting part is this---shamelessly copied from wikipedia.

"Notwithstanding their other roles, Honorary Consular Officers (in the widest use of the term) also have responsibility for the welfare of Citizens of the appointing country within their bailiwick. Thus, particularly within a port town, an Honorary Consul may be called out (at any time, day or night) to attend to the well-being of a citizen of the appointing country who has been arrested. Their role in this situation is to ensure that the arrested persons are treated in a like manner as would be the citizen of the country in which this person was arrested, and understand their rights & obligations".

For those who dont know Howard was the head of the Tourist Police Volunteers---he gave up that position when he took up the Consular role,so he is well versed in all of the lies of the thai police and knows how the law should be applied.

Now a lot of people slag this guy off on forums but i have never heard anybody say that he is personally corrupt or in any way co-operates with the criminal activities of the thai police in pattaya in fact apart from people just saying that they find his news channel annoying any other comments about him seem to be positive and indicate that he is an honest and helpful guy,certainly the Consular position does not pay him enough to make money his motive for doing it.

He now has a lot more weight behind him to stand against the corrupt pattaya police when necessary---- no fat jokes --its too easy :).

A good discussion about him on thaivisa

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/382078-howard-miller-appointed-new-british-honorary-consul-for-pattaya/page__st__25

Tourist Police phone number 1155

Honorary Consul:

Mr Howard Miller

Address: Unit 3, 489/3 Moo 12

Jomtien Beach Road Soi 5 (next to Pattaya Immigration Office)

Nong Prue, Banglamung

Chonburi 20150

Phone: +66 (0) 38 267 113 - Phone / Fax

+66 (0) 81 889 2470 - Mobile

Office hours: Monday-Friday:

09:00-11:30 (local time)

02:00-04:30 (GMT)

• 2 weeks later...

Howard is not a bad guy; I contacted him last year with a small legal problem and he was quite helpful. Sent him an e-mail on his website and he answered me with a private message very quickly. Without going into details, and although I had already thought of it, the advise he gave me was exactly how I ended up handling it.

Howard is a good guy, he is always willing to help. Unfortunately, people hate any volunteer police, its a worldwide hate. I think they do a good thankless task..

Howard is not a bad guy; I contacted him last year with a small legal problem and he was quite helpful. Sent him an e-mail on his website and he answered me with a private message very quickly. Without going into details, and although I had already thought of it, the advise he gave me was exactly how I ended up handling it.

Yes, he gave me the same advice. 500Baht short time, 1000Baht long time.

• 4 weeks later...

He now has a lot more weight behind him to stand against the corrupt pattaya police when necessary---- no fat jokes --its too easy :).

No fat jokes here.

Actually I think most of your view about Howard is probably correct. My knowledge of him is via the TV, articles, this forum and hearsay so I'm in no position to comment on his character. I would suggest though that he is unlikely to take a strong stand against any police, corrupt or not. His news company could be severly hamstrung if he could not rely on their co operation or worse they decided to actively hinder news gathering. I'm not exactly sure what his new duties are but if it involves helping people who have a problem with the BIB it could possibly create a conflict of interest.

RULES

1NQq.gif

There are only two types of people in the world, those who can extrapolate from incomplete data......