IGNORED

Pattaya Bangkok Hospital

Cerberus

I need an MRI scan on my shoulder, the only local hospital with a MRI scanner is the Pattaya Bangkok hospital. I had the wife call them and explain what was needed and was quoted a price of 12,600 baht, so she proceeded to make an appointment for me. All was fine till she had to give my full name, there was a short silence and they then asked if I was Farang? the Mrs answered yes but what has that to do with anything, she was then told that being the case the price would be 18,800 baht for the scan.

My Lass was incredulous and asked if there was something so different between my shoulder and that of a Thais and she was informed that was not the case but there was a two tier pricing system in the hospital :unsure: they are not joking, a 33% difference :wacko:

She then called the hospital in Siricha the next nearest with a MRI scanner, explained the situation again and was quoted the sum of 9,300 baht. The lass then asked the question as to if that was the same for everybody, as her husband was a foreigner. The spokesman said there is but one price and that is the one we had been given! Guess where I am going :D

I hate dual pricing more than anyone but unlike the crocodile farm or national park they 'might' be providing a value added service of English speaking staff, possibly dealing with overseas insurance companies and providing test results in English.

Edited by Mike Asia

I hate dual pricing more than anyone but unlike the crocodile farm or national park they 'might' be providing a value added service of English speaking staff, possibly dealing with overseas insurance companies and providing test results in English.

Paying cash, want the results in Thai for a Thai surgeon, I come with my own Thai translator who I trust more than any of them :D . The hospital in Siricha has the same issues to consider and a captive Farang expat community. How does any of that justify 33% increase anyway :rolleyes:

what a rip off, heard it so many times but I guess it hits home when a Thai calls to get the quote then gives a farang name for the procedure

bang out of order, will give them a miss

Paying cash, want the results in Thai for a Thai surgeon, I come with my own Thai translator who I trust more than any of them :D . The hospital in Siricha has the same issues to consider and a captive Farang expat community. How does any of that justify 33% increase anyway :rolleyes:

How far is Siricha hospital from PBH

As a side note....For anyone wishing to get a good Heart and Brain exam I can recommend the Pattaya International Hospital.

Since Ive just turned 50 I thought it would be a great idea to have my heart and brain checked out. Got a CT Scan of my Heart for 3500 Baht. Brain Scan with contrast medium was 6800 baht. 2 separate blood tests for cancer screening were 850 baht total. Total costs including doctors writeup/eval and copies of all records including the CT xray scans was 14,100 baht.

Appointment made in only 2 days and was at 1pm. Arrived at 12:50. Had a IV in my hand by 1:10pm. Everything finished by 2pm and paid bill. Came back at 4pm for the readings of evals. Out the door by 4:30 with copies of everything.

The cost was excellent and a fraction of the prices quoted by Bungrungrad, Bangkok Hospital or Piviyate Hospital.

FYI...The results of the testing were excellent. They score you from 0-100 in the Heart Scoring category and Im happy to announce I got a Zero which means Ive got a less than 5% chance of a heart attack as compared to men 50+. They say Ive got no identifiable plaque buildup and my heart is excellent. As for my brain everything ok there too other than a small cyst in my right maxillary sinus (they said no problem). Blood tests for cancer show no signs of enzymes that would be present IF I had cancer.

I had thought about getting a Virtual Colonoscopy but the doctor talked me out of it saying that first I should get the blood screening test. If the screening test come back positive THEN he suggests the Colonoscopy.

I highly recommend anyone approaching 50 to get these tests.

Edited by SlickMonkey

By the way...Ive checked prices on MRI's (just in case I needed one) and the cheapest hospital I could find was the "Bangkok Heart Hospital" up in Bangkok.

I checked about 10 different hospitals and It was about 2000-3000 baht cheaper than any other hospital I checked for both the MRI Brain and MRI Heart. You might give them a call and check their price for a MRI of your shoulder.

Edited by SlickMonkey