IGNORED

house building costs

louie

Can anyone help me with a rough idea of materials cost for a house near Buriram? I want to build on 2 floors each floor being about 200 sq metres Upstairs 4 bedrooms 3 bathrooms 3 A/C units downstairs Kitchen ,dining room. big Tv lounge 2 A/C units hallway

I want to use concrete with insulating block walls between pillars a decent roof tiled floors and rendered outside walls

Inside walls will be plasterboard/dry walling type finish as will ceilings Anybody built anything similar recently?

I am budgeting about 600,000 baht without labour based on what prices I have got so far but am I anywhere near the mark?( or will I be living in a shack) Cheers guys for any advice

a friend of mine built a brick 4 bedroom, 4 bathroom single storey house of around 400 sqm and it cost him $1.6m baht when fully completed. This was in Sukathai but shouldnt vary that much.

Edited by Craig_ozz

Farang = Walking ATM. TG's push the right buttons and money comes out. PIN = BBBJ

I have a Problem..... I just can't decide if its a good problem or a bad problem...

Contact Alanthebuilder or Jasonthai on the board as they have experience in this field and have built houses i think jasonthai costs everything down stage by stage can't remember which thread though send them both a PM to look at a detailed report with photo's!

I was very impressed with it myself! :GoldenSmile1:

Alan the builder would be 5m baht + according to his posts on his own forum for a property that size

Here are his comments

Posted by alanthebuilder

We did price a job for 1 of Rays friend this week , 356 sqm build the cost worked out around 4.7 mill for a high quality build .

Edited by Surin1990

WISH I COULD SEND A PM TO JASONTHAI WHATEVER THAT IS BUT i AINT GOT A CLUE HOW TO DO IT MAN! JUST YOUR AVERAGE THICKO WHEN IT COMES TO COMPUTERS BUT IF YOUR OUT THERE JASONTHAI PLEASE GET IN TOUCH LOUIE

You should try contacting boloa he will advise on costings and show you pictures of houses thats been built at a very reasonable price if you want i can ask him to pm you

Another good thing about boloa hes a very nice guy and dont ask for kickbacks from anyone,hes one of the genuine guys here in thailand.

Can anyone help me with a rough idea of materials cost for a house near Buriram? I want to build on 2 floors each floor being about 200 sq metres Upstairs 4 bedrooms 3 bathrooms 3 A/C units downstairs Kitchen ,dining room. big Tv lounge 2 A/C units hallway

I want to use concrete with insulating block walls between pillars a decent roof tiled floors and rendered outside walls

Inside walls will be plasterboard/dry walling type finish as will ceilings Anybody built anything similar recently?

I am budgeting about 600,000 baht without labour based on what prices I have got so far but am I anywhere near the mark?( or will I be living in a shack) Cheers guys for any advice

Hi Louie

IMHO there is no way you can build a 400 squ/m 4 bedroom house for 600k plus labour, Maybe a nice budget built 2/3 bedroom 120 sgu/m Bungalow for that price .I think Craig Ozz's friend who he said build a 400squ/m Bungalow for 1.6m may be mistaken, that works out a 4k per squ/m.I would say a realist price for a bungalow is 8k squ/m.Maybe 10k+ a squ/m for a 2 storey house built by local Thai builders. I have a friend who has just finished a 200squ/m Bungalow in Surin for 1.6 mill. That has 3 bedrooms and two bathrooms.large lounge and outside seating area's and verandas, very nice place indeed.

What I would recommend is to look around at local house's you like and ask the owners how much they spent and who built it for them. If I was you and on a limited budget, build smaller and buy the best mertirials you can afford.

Big Ol' Lucky Ol' Al.

Thanks Boloa I,m not on a limited budget as such possibly up to about 4 million but I dont really want to spend that much aged 65! might be dead 5 minutes later but if not think of all that beer money gone to waste!anyway if you can send me maybe an email address perhaps I can have a chat with in January 2011 when I come to buy the land

Thanks Boloa I,m not on a limited budget as such possibly up to about 4 million but I dont really want to spend that much aged 65! might be dead 5 minutes later but if not think of all that beer money gone to waste!anyway if you can send me maybe an email address perhaps I can have a chat with in January 2011 when I come to buy the land

To be honest Louie at 65 to spend 4 mill on a house in Thailand is the last thing you should be doing. For 8k a month you can rent a very nice house in Buriram,4 mill or even 2 mill is a lot of rent!! I would recommend that anybody who wants to come and live in Isan rents for a while before building.Just to make sure the lifestyle suit's you before you spend your cash.Unlike Pattaya,Phuket and Koh Samui houses here in Isan don't have much of a re-sale value unless you are close to the main provincial town.

I have another friend who has just built a 2 bed Bungalow for his girlfriend ,he is 73 and it is more of a thankyou to her as she looked after him very well over the years . He spent about 700k ,maybe 1 mill in total.Money he had save from his pension whilst living here.Money that he would have spent if he had stayed in the UK .It has taken him about 5 years to save the money,whilst saving he rented a nice Bungalow for about 3.5k a month here in Surin . It does amaze me why older guy come and spend large sums of money on building houses for their Thai GF or new wive's,but if it's for someone you care about or a long term wife, do what you feel is best,you can't take the money with you but at the same time you don't want to waste it either..... :D

Big Ol' Lucky Ol' Al.

You have to be an Advanced Member to view that tread, Not much good for us newbies. :GoldenSmile1:

But with coming up to 150 post's and 5 reps , I live in hope that I will get the nod from the Guys upstairs soon.. :ThankGod1:

• Like 1

Big Ol' Lucky Ol' Al.

Thanks fellas for replies Yes I have considered renting partly to see what permanent life in Isaan is all about and partly because the exchange rate is crap and in 12 months things could be quite different but I do want to give some security to her indoors

I will be staying initially for 3 months anyway so that will be a rental and doubtless will need to rent during any build

The land I am buying is good value and in a good position so that is also influencing the decision but thanks anyway for all your advice-buy you a beer if we ever meet!

To be honest Louie at 65 to spend 4 mill on a house in Thailand is the last thing you should be doing. For 8k a month you can rent a very nice house in Buriram,4 mill or even 2 mill is a lot of rent!! I would recommend that anybody who wants to come and live in Isan rents for a while before building.Just to make sure the lifestyle suit's you before you spend your cash.Unlike Pattaya,Phuket and Koh Samui houses here in Isan don't have much of a re-sale value unless you are close to the main provincial town.

It does amaze me why older guy come and spend large sums of money on building houses for their Thai GF or new wive's,but if it's for someone you care about or a long term wife, do what you feel is best,you can't take the money with you but at the same time you don't want to waste it either..... :D

That's gotta be just about the most sound advice I've seen in any forum on the web. It's good to read guys who know what they're talking about sharing very helpfull info.

& you're spot on about the re-sale of houses in or around Issan Villages too. :10of10Score: That's not trying to say it's always a bad move to build up there...just that I have seen guys build

who really didn't need to do so & then regret it.

Boloa is without doubt a 100% genuine guy and as previously stated helps people freinds and even people he doesnt know,pity there are not more like him around the issan region.

Boloa is without doubt a 100% genuine guy and as previously stated helps people freinds and even people he doesnt know, pity there are not more like him around the issan region.

Well I guess I'm very lucky with the fellow Falangs in & around our village, there are 3 Germans, 1 Frenchman, 1 Norseman, 1 Yank, 1 Aussie, 1 Italian & 2 Brits (me being 1)

Falangs who live a few months to 1/2 the year up there- they are, everyone of them a great guys. If anyone of us can help onother we will do & we're all close friends.

Just hope the next guy that moves in is of the same mindset. I guess by the law of averages that...an utter tosspot has gotta move in one day for sure!

BTW Funny thing is that nearly all of them are builders & have built their own place (except Me & the American)

this link might help you to get information regarding building a house in Buriram area.

http://www.buriramexpats.com/forum/index.php?board=10.0

I also think building a house in Isaan should be up to 1 Million Baht, if you really have money spend not more than 2 Million Baht, that is of course easy to say but hard to do when someone truly love someone and want to build a house the way he want it to be. sometimes more than planned!

:GrinNod1:

• 3 weeks later...

Cost of building a house in Thailand

Tips and Infos for Newbe Expats about how to live and survive in Thailand

Since it is possible for a foreigner to legaly rent a piece of land for at least 30 years in Thailand, ist is also possible to build your own house on that land. Then the question comes up about how much does it cost to build a house in Thailand?

Generally we can say that it is cheaper to build a house somewhere in the province than somewhere near a tourist place, like in Pattaya, Koh Samui or Phuket. It is also true, that it is cheaper to build a house somewhere in the North of Thailand than in the South, due to lower labour costs. Most foreigners however prefer to build their houses at tourist places anyway, but a significant number also moves to the North East, in the Isaan, following their Thai girlfriends or Thai wives.

There are two ways to build a house in Thailand, after you have solved all necessary paperwork and planing:

You look for a "building team" and arange a "price per square metre" with the foreman, that can be with or without the material. Doing it this way, might be a little more expensive but causes certainly less trouble.

You build or manage the building of the house by yourself and also look for the workers and the matreial by yourself. Might be less expensive but causes more trouble.

Prices for building a house in Thailand also depends on the style you want to build. It is the cheapest if you build Unit Style Apartments, which is basically a big garage with some more internal walls and a bathroom.

Most expensive of course is to build a Bungalow Style Villa, with all western style equipment.

So, the cost of building a house in Thailand ranges from about 4000,- Baht per m² for a unit style building, with Thai style (simple) bathroom up to about 20,000,- Baht per m² for a luxurious villa. Remember that this prices can double at- or near well known tourist places. So you probably won't be able to build the cheapest house for 4,000 per m² at a place like Phuket or Pattaya.

If you build two or more floors, multiply this prices by the number of floors.

This prices should include all building material like cement, blocks, roof, tiles, windows, doors, electric and bathroom but of course not the furniture

http://www.living-in-thailand.com/cost-of-building-a-house-in-thailand.html

• 2 months later...

I have another friend who has just built a 2 bed Bungalow for his girlfriend ,he is 73 and it is more of a thankyou to her as she looked after him very well over the years . He spent about 700k ,maybe 1 mill in total.Money he had save from his pension whilst living here.Money that he would have spent if he had stayed in the UK .It has taken him about 5 years to save the money,whilst saving he rented a nice Bungalow for about 3.5k a month here in Surin . It does amaze me why older guy come and spend large sums of money on building houses for their Thai GF or new wive's,but if it's for someone you care about or a long term wife, do what you feel is best,you can't take the money with you but at the same time you don't want to waste it either..... :D

Good post boloa, ive just joined pattaya addicts to try and do some research on building materials and all my research keeps bringing me to around 7k to 10k per sqmtr and even if you do most off the work yoursef(if your lucky) i dont think you could get away from this figure, remember you rarely get any thing for free in Thailand. Theres a good book from Bookazine or other farang book stores "how to buy land and build a house in thailand" lots of info in there Im building for my wife and son with a new Bub on the way i love my wife and family and only really moving up country for them but i cant really see myself settling up ther just hope there be enough cash for a few family holidays per year, remember to build in ya budget and always be prepared to walk away with nothing...

• 1 month later...

At 65, I would rent aswell otherwise, buid one of 200 m2, (open space style)which is plenty big enough

At 65, I would rent as well otherwise, build one of 200 m2, (open space style) which is plenty big enough

Money can't be taken with you, so you may as well spend it on someone that will make you happy and take care of you while in Thailand. They are true to their heart. A good man indeed.

cheers tommy x

cheers, Tommy of Richmond

why sleep if you are going to get up anyway?

Here you go just click on my link below

Cheers

JT

CLICK ON THE LINK BELOW FOR FULL DETAILS & COSTS

Building A House In The Village

CLICK ON THE LINK BELOW FOR FULL DETAILS & COSTS

Getting Married In The Village & Bringing Her To The UK

Money can't be taken with you, so you may as well spend it on someone that will make you happy and take care of you while in Thailand. They are true to their heart. A good man indeed.

cheers tommy x

There are some wonderful Khmer temples around Isaan and also plenty of Farang funded monuments. :GoldenSmile1:

Great link Jason BTW!