IGNORED

Which class do you fly ?

juniordk

I have very long legs - so this is a big deal to me. They are long enough that in most cattle class seats I can't sit down without my knees pressing quite hard into the back of the person in front. This is a pain (literally) for short haul, but just about acceptable. However for long haul it is really grim. When I'm traveling for business I try to swing business class when I can but, barring the occasional special offer, I'm not keen on spending that sort of money if I'm paying for myself. Usually Premium Economy is the way to go. One useful tip is consider Air Asia. They now fly long haul from London and Melbourne to KL (which is only a short hop away from LOS). In their Premium Economy cabins they have proper Business Class seats (i.e. lots of space and they fold down into a flat bed). In every other respect the deal is the same as their standard Economy (seriously no frills - same food, same baggage allowance and you even pay extra for movies!) - but those seats are the one thing that I really care about.

I haven't seen a free upgrade to anybody without airline status in at least 10 years. It's as rare as a Unicorn IMO. Shit. these days, it's even hard to get an exit row without paying for it. wj

It is rare, but not that rare. I have had a free upgrade probably half a dozen times over the last ten years - between one in five and one in ten of my long haul flights. I don't agree that you should ask for it directly. I have seen loads of people doing this, never with any success - generally it just annoys the staff. The most important thing that you need to do is befriend the counter staff. Be charming, tell (good) jokes, and make their day that little bit brighter. Then you need to have some good reason why an upgrade would be a good thing (in my case it is my infeasibly long legs). Then you need to try to make them feel sorry for you. I usually ask them, very gently, if the plane isn't fully booked whether I can be moved to a seat with an empty seat next to mine so that I can sit sideways. Or, failing that, if I can have a bulkhead seat so at least he person in front of me won't have to suffer. Sometimes I manage to get one of those, but on occasions I have then got an upgrade. Rare, yes, but it can be done.

Trip Reports:

"Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company."

Mark Twain

One useful tip is consider Air Asia. They now fly long haul from London and Melbourne to KL (which is only a short hop away from LOS). In their Premium Economy cabins they have proper Business Class seats (i.e. lots of space and they fold down into a flat bed). In every other respect the deal is the same as their standard Economy (seriously no frills - same food, same baggage allowance and you even pay extra for movies!) - but those seats are the one thing that I really care about.

I know what you mean, I have long legs/short body syndrome! Just looked at Air Asia Lon - KL premium Economy in February and they are not that cheap £1461 compared to BA/Quantas on the same day is £1510

RULES

1NQq.gif

There are only two types of people in the world, those who can extrapolate from incomplete data......

Usually first, sometimes in business.  Sometimes as a side-trip from work, or using my own miles.  I'd never pay cash for a flight!

I find that any flight is usually uncomfortable for me. I prefer business class which I flew twelve months ago but I continue to fly EVA direct from Heathrow to Bangkok in economy as I have made four trips in the past twelve months. For a once a year flight I would go business but now with more frquent visits I try to keep costs down and fly economy. Gets me from A to B.

You can log out anytime you like but you can never leave.

babydollsaddict.gif

Always economy, unlike some of your rich pricks LOL.

I'd rather spend the money of extra curricula activities

I am searching only for economy flights, looking for lowest fare. I'm never flight in business class yet. I think that I am Cheap Charlie, after reading this thread. :)

i always fly eva prem econ at around 750 pounds return i think its great value for money and non stop is a bonus too.

I fly economy.

It arrives exactly at the same time as business and even the first class!

Nanren bu huai, nuren bu ai.

if i'm paying its economy with a few upgrades thrown in from miles, but now always bussiness cos my company pays for the ticket and it costs me an extra 100 quid to upgrade to bussiness, it does make a huge difference flying bussiness, not only in the air but getting fast tracked through immigration and free food and drinks in the lounge

Spoiled on First Class.

I know it is a waste of money, but it is the only way to fly. :Flying:

I only buy economy and use points to upgrade to business. I've only paid for a business class upgrade once at the counter though.

I can't stand economy any more :o

No way I can sit comfortably or get some sleep, food is crap, after a few hours I get a sore ass.

Thus I pay for business class whenever possible but only with airlines that have flat beds.

Collecting miles to fly at least half way with upgrades to save money is acceptable.

I am gold on Etihad and it helps with perks also, business class check in, 15kg extra lugage, lounge access, priority boarding, fast track immigration at Bangkok airport, my preferred destination. :P

When and if economy is overbooked gold card holders have priority for business class upgrades. On 4 returns this year got 2 upgrades to business and one to first.

I try to book business class promotions and surf the net months before planned trip.

But: 2007 65k, 2008 70K, 2009 75k, 2010 80k, actual prices 2011 around 95k, waiting for January promotions if any...

In the past it has always been economy but last 2 trips (LHR-BKK) I treated myself to Biz Class with Eva and Qatar. Both cost around £1500 as against the usual £600. Next 2 trips will be premium economy with EVA (both around £1000). I enjoyed the Biz class experience but can't really justify the extra expense. The extra leg room is the main advantage but I don't really think that is worth the extra £900. I have nearly qualified for the EVA silver FF card so in future I will probably fly EVA economy or premium economy and get the use of the Biz lounge and some extra baggage allowance.

I fly Business Class from USA to Taiwan 4-5 times a year on EVA 777-300 planes. I have been very disappointed in their equipment since they have yet to install true flat bed seats and the audio visual equipment looks to be a carryover from the 1990s. I mean here I am in a seat that I paid $3,500 for and I am watching a fuzzy movie on a 13" screen with a slight buzzing sound in my ear phones. Hello! ever heard of HD? For this kind of money I should get a large clear screen and a choice of any move released that year. Get with the times EVA Airlines!

I also fly business class on KLM from Taiwan to BKK. The cost is an extra $70-$100 per leg so it makes sense for me at 6'2". It is only a 4 hour flight, but the extra legroom and attention is worth the money, plus you get a jump on the immigration line.

I feel the extra room in Business Class is a huge advantage for me since I get a lot of work down on the plane. So in a way it pays for itself at times. It is the only place that I can focus on my projects without the phone ringing every 5 minutes.

I just wish more airlines flew non-stops into BKK from the USA.

Like many others, I suspect, I have to save hard for my trips to Pattaya,

So although the long haul flights in economy are hell (despite sleeping pills, drinks, etc.), I console myself by thinking that i will get there at the same time as everybody else in the more expensive seats.

Anyhow, seems a shame really to give all that extra money to the airlines when there are all those poor little needy Thai girls who are so desperate to take that money off us instead!

I fly Business Class from USA to Taiwan 4-5 times a year on EVA 777-300 planes. I have been very disappointed in their equipment since they have yet to install true flat bed seats and the audio visual equipment looks to be a carryover from the 1990s.

This reminds me of a passenger review of Thai Air economy I read once. The guy said the plane was an old 747 and had shared TV. He said the whole set up was so dated he was half thinking of going to the back for a cigarette!

To be fair to EVA though their business class is a lot cheaper than the competition

I console myself by thinking that i will get there at the same time as everybody else in the more expensive seats.

Think again. Of course everyone lands at the same time but I was lucky enough to fly 1st class once. 1st and business leave the aircraft before economy and I had priority baggage so I went from plane to taxi in less than 15 mins!

RULES

1NQq.gif

There are only two types of people in the world, those who can extrapolate from incomplete data......

I fly Business Class from USA to Taiwan 4-5 times a year on EVA 777-300 planes. I have been very disappointed in their equipment since they have yet to install true flat bed seats and the audio visual equipment looks to be a carryover from the 1990s. I mean here I am in a seat that I paid $3,500 for and I am watching a fuzzy movie on a 13" screen with a slight buzzing sound in my ear phones. Hello! ever heard of HD? For this kind of money I should get a large clear screen and a choice of any move released that year. Get with the times EVA Airlines!

The EVA planes that fly the London to Bangkok route are actually far more modern that the competition. Although the seats are not true flat beds, I still prefer them over BA or Thai.

I have come across the same situation with American Airlines when flying to South America via the States. The plane on the London to New York route was almost brand new. The same model used on the New York to South America route looked like its days were numbered.

I am not sure of the decision making process as to which planes fly which route but I guess it is all to do with competition and where there is less competition, the airlines will get away with using older planes.

ทำให้ไม่ชอบสงคราม

I can only afford to fly economy. I have thought about booking business class but then I would have a lot less money to spend in Pattaya on girls and beer.

I have been lucky in recent years because I have always joined the airlines frequent flyers clubs and on a few occasions I have been given free upgrads to business class

Usually I split long-term flights (7+ hours), not only to BKK.

On the way in I`m still in good spirits and Pre.-Eco. or Eco is Okay.

On the way back when I`m a bit worn out I go for Biz, it is just more comfi and you have lounge at the departure airport.

If it`s completly overnight flight I book Eco.

I sleep like dead on a plane, so who cares for the ticket-class.

Edited by pm1982

Proud member of the -Heavydrinking Hardcore Mongers Union of Pattaya-

... it does make a huge difference flying bussiness, not only in the air but getting fast tracked through immigration and free food and drinks in the lounge

Agree about the extras, the benefit really kicks in when you're delayed etc, and you can get this through a silver/gold card depending on who you fly with, whatever class you are flying. And as has been said, being in the loyalty scheme definitely helps with the upgrades on certain airlines.

I wouldn't pay for business, because given my overall income it doesn't represent a good value proposition. But I'll use miles to upgrade to it every time I can. It's all about the money isn't it, or we'd all fly it every time - of course it's better.

If I had the cash I would love to travel in style, but at £1000 or around 40 lt's I'll suffer in silence for a few hours!

I typically fly first or business using a combination of award tickets/elite upgrades.

I can usually generate enough miles in a year to do one trip in first where I spread out the flights over 9 months or so, then pay for a couple of economy return tickets (upgraded to business with elite upgrades) to get back home from my award stopovers. This nets me 3 vacations throughout the year for around $2500 in airfare.

If I'm paying out of pocket without the company picking up the tab I'm willing to pay 2x the economy fare for business class; for me the journey, be it by plane or train, is a big part of my overall vacation experience and I guess I'm willing to pay to enjoy it rather than suffer in economy :-)

Fritzy

I always fly buisness class, tall and don't like smelly fat guys sleeping on me, lol, Love the leg room, service and lounges during layovers. This coming trip, I get to try out buisness on Emiretes A380, (GE engines, not Rolls), and see how nice the lounge is on the plane.

Last time in Pattaya i flew economy on thaiair, from Stockholm it was ok cause you had something to look forward to and a free bar. But on the way back it was a pain so im flying business class this time and using Qatar Airways only like 500 euro more. Have to stop in doha though but hope its worth it and you get access to lounges .