IGNORED

Cheap flights AU-BKK (SYD-BKK)

arak.72

I just flew SYD-BKK-SYD end of Oct for $987.56, that's cheap.

Now there are amazing prices with Thai $766 (via Expedia), it feels expensive to stay at home with such fares!

Clipboard01.jpg

But I managed to do even better: $0 (yes, free!), in January as a free stopover on my flight from Germany back to Oz, a flight which I had to do anyway...

Which time of the year are the best rates from AU to LOS?

Edited by arak.72

Nanren bu huai, nuren bu ai.

Emirates were doing Syd - BKK a couple of months ago for aboyr $820, unfortunately I couldn't get the dates I wanted so I'm doing BNE - BKK via brunei with Royal Air Brunei - about $750 I think.

Many thanks arak.72, it is too cheap to stay here.

I just may be able to squeeze in a trip late November, and quoted the same return price of $766.00.

If you could be bothered with lots of words: my newbie trip report from November 2010

$450 all in melbourne to bangkok via KL. Already booked for Feb 2011...Air Asia.

Yeah, I've done that same flight - nice and cheap, but not terribly comfortable, and this is from a guy who can just abut sleep on broken glass!

AA had this 'marvellous' idea of fitting their A330's with a new type of seat a few years ago, rather than the seatback reclining backwards, the seat bottom instead slides forwards - their explaination was that it would stop the person in front of you reclining their seat onto you ... the truth is it means more rows of seats (lol).

They have now admitted it was a bad move and are refitting their fleet (slowly).

Last time I used them the flight was only about half full so I had a whole row to myself, yet try as hard as I could, I couldn't find any position that got me remotely comfortable ... I don't mind their seats on the smaller airbus, they are quite comfortable, but the A330 experiment was an abysmal failure - I pity anyone who did a MEL-LON flight on one of those things!

Try to search in Jetstar during Feb-Mar. Those tix are for $490 from Melbourne.

I have a dozen friends who have turned away from Thai Airways because of their ridiculous price's.....

Now we are all flying Jetstar(xmas-$800, Easter 11/$800) & Air Asia...far more opportunity for discounts throughout the year.

Edited by felix the cat

I have a dozen friends who have turned away from Thai Airways because of their ridiculous price's.....

Now we are all flying Jetstar(xmas-$800, Easter 11/$800) & Air Asia...far more opportunity for discounts throughout the year.

Melbourne...

Jetstar no fly Sydney to Pattaya....

Melbourne...

Jetstar no fly Sydney to Pattaya....

Yes i know m8...i was just stating that we are always looking for cheaper flights (of course)......that would be the 1st time this year Thai Airways has had discounts flights....

Flown on Air Asia multiple times for $250 return and Jetstar for $500.

jetstar $500 return?

jetstar $500 return?

You better believe it bro....last year (Aug 09) i flew with Jetstar & scored a return flight from Melbourne to BKK $460AUD....they have these every few months, but you have too be quick.

Comes down to timing

I get the feeling if you leave it later you may get a cheaper flight

I booked thru jetabroad.com.au as they were the cheapest

However now I look at the THAI website , the flights are the same price

Depends how paitent you can be

I am terrible, I like everything booked and set in place months ahead

SO I pay the HIGHER price DOH.

You better believe it bro....last year (Aug 09) i flew with Jetstar & scored a return flight from Melbourne to BKK $460AUD....they have these every few months, but you have too be quick.

Yep and book fairly well in advance. I've scored 4 Air Asia flights for $250 and 2 Jetstar flights for $500 over the past 2 years. They have been a godsend :)

Tiger via singapore is a good option for Perth.

Flown Tiger and Jetstar and wasn't much between them and prices similar.

Farang = Walking ATM. TG's push the right buttons and money comes out. PIN = BBBJ

Yep and book fairly well in advance. I've scored 4 Air Asia flights for $250 and 2 Jetstar flights for $500 over the past 2 years. They have been a godsend :)

Yeah,good find m8...i thought about those Air Asia flights but i wasn't keen in going too KL then BKK, especially on the return leg. When i have more holiday time for each trip will definitely look into it further :Grin3:

Singapore Air have great deals out of PER to BKK starting Feb next year from $531 return booking with Zuji or flight centre

Too good a deal to miss

Edited by barmatt

Yeah,good find m8...i thought about those Air Asia flights but i wasn't keen in going too KL then BKK, especially on the return leg. When i have more holiday time for each trip will definitely look into it further :Grin3:

Yeah the stop over can be a pain for some...I don't mind it though. Generally on the way in its a 2.5 hour stop. The flight arrives early so Immigration is pretty quick, have some breaky then away again.

Unfortunately returning home its an early morning flight from Bkk and about a 3 hour stop over in KL.

Still for those prices, I'm happy to endure it...you know where the saving on flights go ;)

Cheers.

As a sydneysider I've never bothered with jetstar or airasia. Mucking around with domestic connections then a layover at Melbourne/Coolangatta or wherever only to save a few measly dollars, if anything, hardly seems worth it.

I check flights obsessively. From my reckoning late February to March and September/October/November see the best deals.

Emirates have good deals that come and go throughout the year $800~ The downside is that the outbound flight gets in to BKK at 1:10am

Malaysia Airlines will have flights for $790+ from time to time but of course there is a layover in KL

Singapore and Thai Air as already discussed have their moments.

I usually go with BA as I'm a Qantas FF member and their flight times mean I can go straight from/to work if need be. Never paid much more than $1k with them.

I live in Sydney...

First time I went to Phuket with Jetstar direct...it was OK but because of the timing of the booked we paid WAY too much. $1100

I just got back from my 2nd trip. I flew Malaysia Airways and had that stopover in Kl both ways. The service was OK but I will NEVER do a layover again...it really is not worth it for a couple of hundred dollars. The trip back ended up taking about 18 hours instead of 9 due to delays at KL. Cost was $800.

This morning I booked my next trip with Thai Airways for March. $948.

I was considering booking with Jetstar for about $650 return but just as I was about to hit the accept button I considered the layover in Melbourne....

I need to fly direct...hence I paid more but I know I will be there in 9.5 hours...no mucking around and because the hostesses will be Thai they will be hotter. :)

My Youtube Channel about everything Thailand - TravInThailand

I live in Sydney...

First time I went to Phuket with Jetstar direct...it was OK but because of the timing of the booked we paid WAY too much. $1100

I just got back from my 2nd trip. I flew Malaysia Airways and had that stopover in Kl both ways. The service was OK but I will NEVER do a layover again...it really is not worth it for a couple of hundred dollars. The trip back ended up taking about 18 hours instead of 9 due to delays at KL. Cost was $800.

This morning I booked my next trip with Thai Airways for March. $948.

I was considering booking with Jetstar for about $650 return but just as I was about to hit the accept button I considered the layover in Melbourne....

I need to fly direct...hence I paid more but I know I will be there in 9.5 hours...no mucking around and because the hostesses will be Thai they will be hotter. :)

Good choice. I flew with them Jan 2010 and will again Jan 2011.

I'm Getting the flight that leaves 11 am+- Syd - BKK and then Leaving on the flight at 11:58 pm BKK-Syd.

Have booked an extra night in the hotel so I can still have fun on the last day, will leave at around 8:00 from hotel to airport.

This way i arrive just about on time for the action to kick off in Patts and leave as late as possible.

Cheers

Good choice. I flew with them Jan 2010 and will again Jan 2011.

I'm Getting the flight that leaves 11 am+- Syd - BKK and then Leaving on the flight at 11:58 pm BKK-Syd.

Have booked an extra night in the hotel so I can still have fun on the last day, will leave at around 8:00 from hotel to airport.

This way i arrive just about on time for the action to kick off in Patts and leave as late as possible.

Cheers

I also chose that time flight going out.

Main reason...to maximize my time in Pattaya.

I finish work at 4:00 in the morning then jump on the plane at 11:00 that day.

I figure or hope that I will be able to sleep during the continuous uninterrupted flight and hit the ground running when in arrives at 4:30 that afternoon.

My Youtube Channel about everything Thailand - TravInThailand

Main reason...to maximize my time in Pattaya.

Yep gotta make the most of it.

Cheers

As a sydneysider I've never bothered with jetstar or airasia. Mucking around with domestic connections then a layover at Melbourne/Coolangatta or wherever only to save a few measly dollars, if anything, hardly seems worth it.

I check flights obsessively. From my reckoning late February to March and September/October/November see the best deals.

Emirates have good deals that come and go throughout the year $800~ The downside is that the outbound flight gets in to BKK at 1:10am

Malaysia Airlines will have flights for $790+ from time to time but of course there is a layover in KL

Singapore and Thai Air as already discussed have their moments.

I usually go with BA as I'm a Qantas FF member and their flight times mean I can go straight from/to work if need be. Never paid much more than $1k with them.

Saving $500. Still not worth it?

Saving $500. Still not worth it?

Just divide the saved $$ by the time you lose in the connections, and then the actual damage is four times higher since you could have done much better things at that time, both at home and in Pattaya.

So calculation is $500/(5 hrs lost on the way in + 5 hrs lost on the way back)/2 (for the contrast between waiting for your plane vs being in Pattaya)/2 (for the unused free holiday hours from your everyday life)= you get to a saving of of 12.5$ per hour.... Not worth it!