IGNORED

Marriage in Thailand - legal in UK

Jai Yen

Hi, looking for some help or advice.

I'm getting married in Feb 2011 to my long term tgf. She has UK citizenship, passport etc. so not needing visa.

But if we are getting married in Thailand how do we go about getting the marriage recognised as legal in the UK?

I've heard that we have to go to the UK embassy in Bangkok then onto a registrar to do the paperwork. Seems it would take a couple of days sitting around in offices and would cost around 15,000 baht, not really how i'd like to spend my time on holiday.

I thinking it might be a lot easier and quicker to have ceremony in Thailand then register marriage in UK later.

Any advice would be very appreciated, thanks.

Why not marry in thailand,then go to a UK magistrate and have a civil ceremony in the UK.

I'm thinking that might be easier, but was hoping to have everything done while over in los, paperwork ceremony etc. just makes it a little more special :)

Why not marry in thailand,then go to a UK magistrate and have a civil ceremony in the UK.

This is a really naive question. But. If someone has been separated in the UK for longer than 7 years, but not divorced, can he marry a Thai Girl?

And if so, what happens when he takes her back to England? Could a civil ceremony still be had if she doesnt have Citizenship?

Cheers

H888

This is a really naive question. But. If someone has been separated in the UK for longer than 7 years, but not divorced, can he marry a Thai Girl?

And if so, what happens when he takes her back to England? Could a civil ceremony still be had if she doesnt have Citizenship?

Cheers

H888

The OP said the girl is a UK citizen.

Cheers

H888

A civil ceremony is legally approved so I think that would count as bigamy :Circle_Sharks:

I'm getting married in Feb 2011 to my long term tgf. She has UK citizenship, passport etc. so not needing visa.

But if we are getting married in Thailand how do we go about getting the marriage recognised as legal in the UK?

I've heard that we have to go to the UK embassy in Bangkok then onto a registrar to do the paperwork. Seems it would take a couple of days sitting around in offices and would cost around 15,000 baht, not really how i'd like to spend my time on holiday.

I thinking it might be a lot easier and quicker to have ceremony in Thailand then register marriage in UK later.

If you start in the morning you will have it all done by mid afternoon.

If you start in the morning you will have it all done by mid afternoon.

Did you need to go to both embassy and registrar for yours? If I can ask how much did this cost for paperwork or did you use an agent? Thanks.

We do a marriage service 12000 baht & no need to travel to Bangkok.

Thai Visa Express

Registered UK Immigration Consultants 

OISC F200700163 UK Immigration Consultants

Impartial UK Immigration Advice - Expect An Honest Visa Assessment - NO Win No Agents Fees.

Web: www.thaivisa-express.com

Face Book : Thaivisaexpressthailand

OISC : https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/office-of-the-immigration-services-commissioner

Email : [email protected]

Tel : 0801022328

Tel :038420313

Tel UK : 020 -0281 -338 -059

• 3 weeks later...

A marriage in thailand is legal in the vast majority of countries in the world, including UK.In fact it would not be legal to marry again in UK.You do not need to register anywhere in UK,only need the translation of marriage certificates from thailand to do anything.

• 3 weeks later...

I did mine over 3 days,Tota[ cost about 4000bt,Is quite easy if your wife is on the ball spent most time waiting for paper work.

1st day embassy get letter single status

2nd day Ministry of foreign affairs

3rd day Amphur sign wedding papers (should have 2 witness but they tend to over look this)

Good Luck