Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Pogoplug online storage device

ZGreyFox

Hi Folks,

I've seen the question of Online Storage come up occasionally and just wanted to share my thoughts about a nifty device I got recently. (Please note, I am not associated with the product manufacturer and am only recommending this device because I think it would be of use to fellow BMs.)

Last year I read about a device called a Pogoplug. It's a box that allows you to access up to 4 USB storage devices from anywhere in the world via a browser interface or mobile device. You connect your external drives (HD, SSD, or even Flash) to the Pogoplug and then connect the Pogoplug to your home router. From there, you can just use a web interface or an App to browse, explore, upload and download your data. Pogoplug supports PC, Mac and has Apps for Apple, Android, BB and Palm. How much memory you can access is only limited by what you hook up to the Pogoplug. (I have a 1TB drive hooked up to mine). As an added bonus, you can stream music and movies from the attached drives to your Xbox or PS3.

After playing with the device for a week or two these are my Pros/Cons assessments:

Pros:

-You do not need to have your home computer/laptop powered on to share your drives. If you use a USB powered hard drive, the only thing that needs to be powered is the Pogoplug and your router.

-Upload and Download of data files, movies, photos works as advertised. You can browse and edit files on your shared drives with ease.

-Streams movies and music locally to Xbox and PS3 (but see Cons)

-No service charges. Pogoplug costs about 75 Euro, but there are no fees or service charges beyond that.

-You can opt to share specific files and folders with others, allowing them remote access to your content. Access can be as open or restricted as you designate.

Cons:

-Does not stream movies through the web very well (via xbox works fine). You'll need to down convert to MP4 format to get decent streaming or just download the movie if you want to view it locally.

-Usage requires a one time device activation. You have to set up an account (free) with Pogoplug and login there first before being directed to your shared drives. This brings up a concern about privacy and how secure your data is. Pogoplug states that it uses SSL throughout your entire session, but I still have some hesitation on this. The manufacturer also makes assurances that if the company ever goes out of business, a software solution will be released to enable continued content access. Riiiight. For now, I am not storing anything more than movies, photos and backup software unencrypted. For anything sensitive, I just use Truecrypt and upload the encrypted volume.

Overall, I think it is a useful device and is a makes for a good alternative to Dropbox, Adrive and Zumocast.

Cheers,

-ZGF