IGNORED

Motorbike licence

sexpanther

Yes it is possible to gain your bike licence and car licence whilst on a tourist visa , Although its a little time consuming during a short trip , but will do my best to explain as far as i can remember from earlier on this year , first thing your going to need is some

passport photos ( so off to the kodak shop , they normally do you about 6 photos ) i forgot the cost say 100 bht

Medical cert from the doctors office , i used a place on soi boakow that looked like a chemist , i think they are supposed to examine you but just asked if i wanted the papers and charged me 100 bht each for them ( 1 for car and 1 for bike )

Then you need to go to the immigration on soi 5 jomtien , taking with you some proof of address ( i took the bill from the hotel where i was staying ) there is a couple of forms to be filled out , some sort of residence papers , and then have to hand them in to the nice lady police officer in the back room , she will ask for the photos and other id ( passport Ect )

you will be directed to another desk to pick up your completed papers , in my case it was the next day .

then take all your papers with you to the test station , which is on the highway into pattaya . ( behind the Regents School)

they will ask you for photocopies of everything , i found it best to have about 4 copies of everything including your passport , because seems everywhere you go they all want a photocopy .

after that your more or less done , you will be sent upstairs to begin your test process .

hope it helps . if its not totally accurate sorry but that was it as far as i can remember .

have fun on your test and dont come off the ramp , because if you do , you will be TOLD TO RETURN "NEXT WEEK" you only get one shot .

i already had an EU drivers licence for a car , so they just check it and give you a car thai car licence .

you still have to go through the process of eye test reaction test and a few highway code questions on a computer , 30 questions , you need to score 23 or more .

Cheers

Choonsy

Good advice Choonsy

In my case I already have a UK car/motorbike licence; I only had to do reaction/brake test and colour blind test, no riding test or questionaire, not sure this is always the case though, depends on their mood. Now had licence for 2.5 years.

If you do get your initial 1 year car/bike licences, remember to renew them on the anniversary, when you can get a 5 year licence, otherwise you have to go through the whole process again at a later date.

passport photos ( so off to the kodak shop , they normally do you about 6 photos ) i forgot the cost say 100 bht

Medical cert from the doctors office , i used a place on soi boakow that looked like a chemist , i think they are supposed to examine you but just asked if i wanted the papers and charged me 100 bht each for them ( 1 for car and 1 for bike )

Cheers

Choonsy

Great Info! I am looking to both drivers and bike licenses. Do you have more detail on the medical paperwork place on Soi B? If not, I will walk around and look for it.

Good advice Choonsy

In my case I already have a UK car/motorbike licence; I only had to do reaction/brake test and colour blind test, no riding test or questionaire, not sure this is always the case though, depends on their mood. Now had licence for 2.5 years.

If you do get your initial 1 year car/bike licences, remember to renew them on the anniversary, when you can get a 5 year licence, otherwise you have to go through the whole process again at a later date.

you have a full 12 months to renew your licence after it expires,if you upgrade to the 5 year licence do it a couple of weeks after your birthday you get nearly 6 years then

so you have to take pictures with you in Pattaya.

in Bangkok they take your picture as you sit at the desk having your paper work checked,they then just produce your licence from a machine and hand it to you,once you have paid ofcourse.

Great Info! I am looking to both drivers and bike licenses. Do you have more detail on the medical paperwork place on Soi B? If not, I will walk around and look for it.

i dont know how it works in Pattaya but in Bangkok you only need 1 original medical cert and 1 copy for your licences,same for the letter of residence,1 original and 1 copy for the 2nd licence.

dont need to take pictures with you either they take them there and then.

are they really that far behind in Pattaya.

• 1 month later...

I went to a clinic to get my medical certificate for driving.

The lady at the counter said "100 Baht".

I paid, and she stamped some paper, put it in an envelope and that was that. No test....nothing.

so, I asked her "What if I was blind?"

Without a beat, she said "200 Baht".

I love this country.

• 2 months later...

UPDATE ON GETTING A NEW MOTORBIKE DRIVING LICENCE ON A TOURIST VISA (February 2011)

1. Residence Certificate:

Obtained from the Immigration Office in Jomtien. You need:

a. 2 passport photos

b. Original Passport

c. Copy of Passport ID page

d. Copy of Tourist Visa page

e. Copy of Departure Card

f. Copy of last entry stamp in Passport

g. Completed Residency Certificate Application form

h. Copy of rental contract front page (with FULL address of residence, building no., moo, area code, etc)

i. Original Rental Contract (just to be safe)

Take a number from the info desk and go to back of room (number 7 door) when called.

Pay Baht 200

You get a number card and they will tell you when it will be ready. Usually the next working day.

When collecting Certificate, go straight to counter 8 and hand over your number card. No need to get a waiting number from reception.[/indent]

2. Medical Certificate:

a. Call in any clinic and pay Baht 100. No examination is done, they just give you the certificate.

b. Remember to take along your passport so they can get your name correct.

3. Driving Licence/Test:

a. Located behind The Regent’s School. I left the Immigration Office in Jomtien at about 09:30am and arrived about 10:00am.

b. Outside the entrance is someone to check you have everything. Hand over:

i. Original Passport

ii. Copy of Passport ID page (signed at bottom)

iii. Copy of Tourist Visa page (signed at bottom)

iv. Copy of Departure Card (signed at bottom)

v. Copy of last entry stamp in Passport (signed at bottom)

vi. Residence Certificate

vii. Medical Certificate

viii. No photos are required.

c. Proceed to counter inside building (ground floor) and had over documents and sign the form they with give you. They will issue you with a number.

d. Go upstairs and wait until your number (along with a few others) is called out. This is in Thai (so learn your numbers).

e. Do eye test and reaction test. (A little confusing but not difficult).

f. You are then directed to the theory testing room. I was given a basic Thai road signs book (in English) and flicked through that for 10 mins. I then went in the room and was sent to a computer monitor. The test is all computerized so you can start at any time. 30 questions. Multiple choice. You have 1 hour to answer them and can go back and check any you are not sure about before hitting the “finish” key. Your results are instantly displayed. If you get less that 23 you have to retake it later but cannot take the driving test that day. It only took me 15 mins to complete. Not difficult, but the wording/translations are a bit misleading. This had all taken about 80 mins. I was told to go outside (at side of building) to the driving test site at 1pm.

g. At 1pm prompt the test begins. Names are checked and everyone lines up. You are shown the course and someone will give a demonstration of what to do. It’s all in Thai, but obvious what you need to do – ride in and out of a few cones (do not hit any) and drive up and along a straight, slightly raised, narrow path (do not come off it). Stop at the two “stop” signs on the circuit and your done.

h. Go over to the counter after to make sure your form has been signed off and you name is in the book.

i. Head back to the main building and go upstairs. When your name is called out you go to the front and pay Baht155. You are given a number.

j. When your name/number is called, you go and get your photo taken, then go back to your seat.

k. A few minutes later your name is called again and you go and pick up your new shiny 1 year driving licence.

l. All finished by 2:00pm.

m. You can now drive past those traffic cops at rent time with total peace of mind.

Edited by mcb

No matter where you go, there you are....