IGNORED

Playing Golf in Chiang Mai

BogeyPro

I'm coming to LOS from 14 Nov-5 Dec, staying in Pattaya, and playing organized golf out of Soi L.K. Metro. I was thinking about taking the last week to make a trip up to Chiang Mai and play some golf up there, just to get a fresh change of scenery.

Pattaya is truly blessed by having several golf clubs to choose from, from where you can sign up and go almost every day if you want, and the cost is quite reasonable.

Does anybody here have any experiences up in Chiang Mai, i.e. the golf scene? Is it a similar setup to Pattaya? More expensive, etc.

Also, any good intelligence on the mongering scene up there, is always welcome.

Most grateful for any information you would be willing to share.

Cheers

• 4 weeks later...

I'm coming to LOS from 14 Nov-5 Dec, staying in Pattaya, and playing organized golf out of Soi L.K. Metro. I was thinking about taking the last week to make a trip up to Chiang Mai and play some golf up there, just to get a fresh change of scenery.

Pattaya is truly blessed by having several golf clubs to choose from, from where you can sign up and go almost every day if you want, and the cost is quite reasonable.

Does anybody here have any experiences up in Chiang Mai, i.e. the golf scene? Is it a similar setup to Pattaya? More expensive, etc.

Also, any good intelligence on the mongering scene up there, is always welcome.

Most grateful for any information you would be willing to share.

Cheers

Played golf in Chiang Mai a couple of years back, did it via a Thai based golf company with English Management (Coco Golf) It was arranged as a combi trip with Pattaya, hotels, transfers etc all taken care of. The Golf courses are on a par with Pattayas Best, there is a small but expanding mongering scene but dont expect anything likle Pattaya. I seem to remember the golf being cheaper than Patts. And i am sure there will be some expat bars arranging golf trips.

The weather was cooler and it is a beautiful city full of history. Worth a visit golf or no golf.

i never played golf in chiang mai but its look goods ans have a good weather, so be happy bru !

RACLURE TEAM V 1.01

• 10 months later...

In Nov. it will be very good season in CM.

You may need long sleeve shirts in the morning and night especially Dec. and Jan.

And there are some excellent courses and cheap courses.

I think you need to rent a car to access there because of no society of the golf.

After my Patts trip I'm off to CM...any golfing info much appreciated

I was there last month and played Chiang Mai Highlands, Alpine, Summit Green Valley, Royal Chiang Mai, Mae Jo and Inthanon. The top two are Highlands and Alpine although Green Valley, Royal CM and Mae Jo are very nice as well. Inthanon was not as nice. Did not play the various Gassan courses and heard mixed reviews. Would easily recommend the ones I mentioned. All are 30-45 minutes out of central CM and I had own transportation. If you have a map and GPS it is ok. I do not have any contacts or recommendations for golf tours or societies and did not see much on the internet as you can find for Pattaya. I had someone book for me so paid higher rates but there were deals to be had if you contact the clubs directly or check websites. It was quiet in August and only a few people on the courses. Caddies reported slow times. Many had on site accommodation but all except Green Valley are out by themselves so nothing to do outside golf.

Note CM is currently experiencing flooding in town along the Ping river and not sure how that impacts mobility. and accommodations. The courses are all out of town and doubtful they are impacted.

Worth mentioning that Santiburi in Chiang Rai is an outstanding course and if you have time it is well worth going and spending the night such that you could play the day of arrival and departure to get in two rounds. They had a special in September for half price green fees of about 800 baht or thereabouts.

Common sense is not very common.

Thanks hawkeye info useful, I'm playing most of the courses which you mentioned as I'm signed up to play in the CM amateur week tournament with golf Asia . Com

I have never been to CM for golf, but would always like to if I have the chance.

" Lead, follow, or get the hell out of my way!!"

• 8 months later...

might as well throw my 2 cents in even though this post is a bit late to help out bogeypro.i agree with hawkeye. santiburi in chiang rai has to be up there as one of the nicest in thailand.great temperature to play in and the condition was good.the two courses that stand out in chiang mai are alpine and highlands. i played gassan kuntan and although the layout is quite amusing in a circus kind of way , the condition was horrendous. the greens were like us open rough and the fairways might as well be rice paddies.the highlands course is run by the same group that also owns muang kheow in bangkok which is a very nice track that is close to the airport which makes it handy for a quick game before leaving.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for being so late with this, saying thank you for the kind replies and excellent information. It has been over a year since I last logged in! THANK YOU!