IGNORED

Thai Script

ragazzo

Just did the first writing lesson in my book. Have been joining the dots to make letters like a three year old, but wow. Only did four consonants and four long vowels, plus the tone marks, so don't want to get carried away, but suddenly it's not so scary.

The book showed how these eight letters go together to make words, and it felt so good to be reading a few basic words of Thai.

I'm really excited! I should have done this a year ago!

First step on a long journey to reading and writing Thai...

"I can resist everything except temptation." Oscar Wilde

Which book is this? Is it a school book or one we can find online?

Picking up some Thai before going back in the spring would be a good thing indeed...

Which book is this? Is it a school book or one we can find online?

Picking up some Thai before going back in the spring would be a good thing indeed...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Thai-Beginners-Benjawan-Poomsan-Becker/dp/1887521003 This one, and I also got the CD to go with it, which must be bought separately.

"I can resist everything except temptation." Oscar Wilde

"Thai for beginners" is an excellent starting point, also providing you with a vocabulary more than adequate to make yourself understood in thai in several situations. Coupled with the audio CD it also gives you a clear idea of the correct pronunciation of the different letters - especially the vowels, that in the english-based translitterations are often hard to figure out correctly. And, once you manage to read the words straight from the thai script learning thai itself will become much easier.

I don't believe there's a lie in every smile.

Thanks for the tip. I will try this one.

Was wondering where to begin learning Thai, but this seems a good starting point.

Don't buy the CDs you can get the MP3s online for free.

Thai <-> English translations. 100% anonymous and confidential. Cheap rates. Paypal accepted. Email Lek on "[email protected]"

• 2 weeks later...

Thai is not all that hard to learn to read, but writing is another matter since there are so many dupilcate letters. Once upon a time I could write fairly well. I haven't done so for years and now I can't spell anything anymore. :(