IGNORED

Pratumnak Hills & Cosy Beach

semi-retired member

I'm posting this in the Jomtien-forum, since I couldn't see where might be more-relevant, perhaps the mods might consider a new sub-forum for this area ? It's an area of Pattaya with its own 'flavour' IMO.

I've had a couple of good holidays on Cosy Beach recently, it lies on the headland between South Pattaya & Jomtien Beach, and is perhaps best-known for the Royal Cliff hotel or the Convention-Centre, which is 100m north of Cosy Beach. There are several larger hotels, which come-up on Agoda.com & the other usual hotel-booking sites.

I stayed for a week at the Cosy Beach hotel with my family of 3, nice-room with balcony except the satellite-TV was limited on channels, good buffet-breakfast & a couple of OK-pools. It's grown from the original popular-with-Kuoni budget-hotel into quite a complex. Other guests included quite a few Russians, staying in the shabby old-annexe, and a mix of other countries.

I returned a couple of months later on-my-own, staying at a couple of cheaper-GHS (OK-room & 400B-450B per-night), also tried the Royal View Place (excellent brand-new room & bathroom, pleasant small-pool & relaxed-atmosphere, guest-friendly @ 650B/night). further up-the-hill but still only a few hundred metres from the beach. Would stay there again.

Plenty of places to eat, more-expensive where closer to the big hotels on/adjacent the cliff-top, included Swedish & a couple of British-bars/restaurants, plus the usual range of farang/Thai local-run restaurants.

Lucky-Bar was the main bar used, had 15-25 girls (remembering this is low-season) on any one night, including just a couple of LBs, 300B B/F & 1000B LT, with a couple of ST-rooms upstairs (sorry, no idea of the ST-price). Also a couple more karaoke/bar-joints up-the-hill from there, with a handful of girls/LBs, but dead at this time of year.

The main reason to stay here, rather than the more action-filled areas, is the quieter more-laid-back village-atmosphere of the area. South Pattays & Jomtien night-life are nearby & easily-accessible (by song-thaew), but you don't have them in-your-face, to coin a phrase ! I think (but didn't visit) there are other sois running down from Pratumnak Hill to the beach, before you eventually reach the start of the main Jomtien beach.

Hope this post helps anyone looking for a quieter-area, on the beach but still with access to all the attractions/facilities of Pattaya, also less-expensive & greener than the city-centre.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm posting this in the Jomtien-forum, since I couldn't see where might be more-relevant, perhaps the mods might consider a new sub-forum for this area ? It's an area of Pattaya with its own 'flavour' IMO.

I've had a couple of good holidays on Cosy Beach recently, it lies on the headland between South Pattaya & Jomtien Beach, and is perhaps best-known for the Royal Cliff Hotel or the Convention-Centre, which is 100m north of Cosy Beach. There are several larger hotels, which come-up on Agoda.com & the other usual hotel-booking sites.

I stayed for a week at the Cosy Beach Hotel with my family of 3, nice-room with balcony except the satellite-TV was limited on channels, good buffet-breakfast & a couple of OK-pools. It's grown from the original popular-with-Kuoni budget-hotel into quite a complex. Other guests included quite a few Russians, staying in the shabby old-annexe, and a mix of other countries.

I returned a couple of months later on-my-own, staying at a couple of cheaper-GHS (OK-room & 400B-450B per-night), also tried the Royal View Place (excellent brand-new room & bathroom, pleasant small-pool & relaxed-atmosphere, guest-friendly @ 650B/night). further up-the-hill but still only a few hundred metres from the beach. Would stay there again.

Plenty of places to eat, more-expensive where closer to the big hotels on/adjacent the cliff-top, included Swedish & a couple of British-bars/restaurants, plus the usual range of farang/Thai local-run restaurants.

Lucky-Bar was the main bar used, had 15-25 girls (remembering this is low-season) on any one night, including just a couple of LBs, 300B B/F & 1000B LT, with a couple of ST-rooms upstairs (sorry, no idea of the ST-price). Also a couple more karaoke/bar-joints up-the-hill from there, with a handful of girls/LBs, but dead at this time of year.

The main reason to stay here, rather than the more action-filled areas, is the quieter more-laid-back village-atmosphere of the area. South Pattays & Jomtien night-life are nearby & easily-accessible (by song-thaew), but you don't have them in-your-face, to coin a phrase ! I think (but didn't visit) there are other sois running down from Pratumnak Hill to the beach, before you eventually reach the start of the main Jomtien beach.

Hope this post helps anyone looking for a quieter-area, on the beach but still with access to all the attractions/facilities of Pattaya, also less-expensive & greener than the city-centre.

thanks for the post semi-re, I was just looking for a good spot for relax on the beach and a little swim,

but not too far from WS.

is this cosy beach better than most on this coast, which hotel would you recomend in the 2-3000b zone,

are they all g.friendly, and how do you commute to and from WS? some good condos around?

many questions but I hope you can help, thank you in advance anyway, argus

• 3 weeks later...

thanks for the post semi-re, I was just looking for a good spot for relax on the beach and a little swim,

but not too far from WS.

is this cosy beach better than most on this coast, which hotel would you recomend in the 2-3000b zone,

are they all g.friendly, and how do you commute to and from WS? some good condos around?

many questions but I hope you can help, thank you in advance anyway, argus

Usually rent a song-theaw (100B-150B), or walk (10 minutes) to the top of the hill, for a shared-one (10B-20B) along Pratumnak Hill to the Sout-Pattaya-Road/Pattaya-2nd-Road junction 100m from the start of Walking-Street. So perhaps Jomtien or North-Pattaya-Beach might be better for transport for you ?

I recently stayed in Jomtien Soi-5, and saw a few Guest-Houses (500B-700B) in the small Soi next to Thappraya Road, as it runs down to the start of Jomtien Beach. Although a fairly crowded/over-built area, these were only 20-40m from the sandy/well-served vehicle-free Dong Tan Beach, at the north end of Jomtien. And with a good mix of bars/eating-places on sois 1-8 within a few hundred yards.

I suspect I'm looking at cheaper places, than you want, however for a budget of 2-3,000 Baht a night, I'd expect the usual hotel-web-sites to deliver 4-5-star luxury ! I paid about half that, in low-season, for Cosy-Beach hotel with pools and a small beach down 80-steps. Try trip-advisor for others of similar grade in that immediate area, is my advice.

Girl-friendly nature is something which higher-grade hotels seem to like to charge for, unlike the more-relaxed/laid-back guest-houses I prefer, but it all depends on how long you're here for, and what you've got to spend ! 'Up-To-You' as we often say here in Thailand !

also tried the Royal View Place (excellent brand-new room & bathroom, pleasant small-pool & relaxed-atmosphere, guest-friendly @ 650B/night). further up-the-hill but still only a few hundred metres from the beach. Would stay there again.

Unfortunately when I tried to book here again early-November, for a week rather than a few nights, the rate quoted was a massive 900B/night, so didn't stay again after-all !

Why do Thai hoteliers over-price their almost-empty properties like this ? I simply don't understand their approach. Vote with your feet ! It's the only weapon we have !

Unfortunately when I tried to book here again early-November, for a week rather than a few nights, the rate quoted was a massive 900B/night, so didn't stay again after-all !

Why do Thai hoteliers over-price their almost-empty properties like this ? I simply don't understand their approach. Vote with your feet ! It's the only weapon we have !

thanks for the tips, I have not yet decided whether to stay in the center of everything or be at more laid back spot like jomtien.

I could afford a good quite hotel by the beach if I could be free of any hassle with having girls in your room. when you ask by mail

they do not even reply. have a nice stay