IGNORED

Calling all Photography experts.... Help Needed

7-Eleven

Hi guys

I have managed to acquire a DSLR for my upcoming Nov/Dec trip. I have a Canon S90 P&S already but I thought I would give this ago before I decide if I want to buy a DSLR setup of my own.

The camera is a Canon EOS350D...

post-11269-084571000 1287314662.jpg

post-11269-029144500 1287314672.jpg

And I also have the use of these two lenses...

post-11269-034326300 1287314681.jpg

post-11269-050756900 1287314689.jpg

post-11269-059558900 1287314697.jpg

So guys... looking for advice on what settings to use, is it just trial and error or should I be reading up before I go... if so any sites I should pay particular attention to?

Is it worth even taking it as I will also be taking my S90?

Any advice to this complete photography newbie great appreciated :GoldenSmile1:

The Canon EOS350D, aka Rebel Xti, has some creative modes -- landscape, night shot, portrait, action, etc -- that are selectable by the main dial. You might consider shooting some things (before the trip?) using that feature and comparing the settings it chooses versus the results produced. That could give you an initial feel for some of it.

Boring though it may be, read the manual and learn the controls so that you're not fumbling around as a shot opportunity passes by.

Realize that although that camera and lens set cannot produce output in the league with Slapman (he has pro level gear) you can still produce many interesting and compelling images with that rig. Shakespeare wasn't great because he had a really good pen.

To be honest... with this lenses you will hardly be able to get better quality compared to your point and shoot camera.

The real advantage of a slr is the ability to us a lens with a big aperture, so you can have better low light performance and a blurry background when shooting portrait. So If you would like to have any advantage compared to your s90, you should get a low budget lens with a big aperture, such as a canon EF 50mm f1:1.8. It is cheap and produces very lovely pictures

First, I use a Sony set up so I can't help much on Cannon. But I found some downloadable guides for the Sony Alpha systems that helps a lot. I have them in a digital file I can try to email to you but they are about 800 mb each video so we'd have to set up a dropbox or something for you to get access to or share some A drive file system or such... Yes these are for Sony systems but they give you the basics of manual / programing / special systems, ISO, etc... for you... There are two of them...

I'd surf YouTube for guides on your DSLR... I find video guides best for newbies instead of printed books.

But what do you want to do with this? You just entered an expensive and nasty hobby that you will either buy a lot of equipment or this camera will sit and never use. DSLR you use for the lenses and many times you will need a tripod or a monopod, a separate flash as the built in flashes suck and don't do jack shit for you, maybe a slave flash, then stands for those, etc... The joy of a DSLR is playing with lenses. But to get those perfect shots with a DSLR and mongering they are all set up and staged or such and to get girls to do that isn't easy.

For mongering your S90 is best, safest, easiest to move around town with you, etc.. I just picked up a new sling bag for my DSLRS as I run dual Alpha systems with a few lenses but I NEVER use these for mongering. I use my Sony TX5 (waterproof / shockproof) now (before used the olympus tough / shock proof / waterproof camera) for mongering mostly.

Do you really want to LUG around a large camera, multiple lenses, different filters, flashes, etc... Surprisingly for me, I use my pocket Sony TX5 more then the DSLR's, but on my DSLR's I use my Minolta 100 and 50 macro lenses as well as a sony alpha wide angle lens the most. After that I use a super high end zoom that costs more then the camera systems but is a bitch to lug around.

Trying to Stay Out Of Trouble, But It Isn't Working

I agree with a previous post that you will get better pictures with your S90. The key when buying a DSLR is not to get hung up on the latest body, but to focus (no pun intended) on the lens. The body will be obsolete in a year or two, but a high quality lens will never be obsolete. Now I only take a high end point and shoot with me when I travel. Taking a DSLR kit around is a pain.

Thank you for all the comments so far. The camera has been borrowed from a good friend for the duration of my holiday so unless I buy an accessories then it won't cost me anything.

I am tempted to travel hand luggage only again this trip so if i'm not going to get much more out of it than the S90 then I doubt I will take it.

I probably wouldn't take it out and about with me, I just wanted to get some good room shots taking advantage of the extra DoF that the DSLR has over the S90.

I have downloaded a copy of the manual and am going through it. Will give Youtube a look for tutorials, if no good I will let you know Tansak... I have Dropbox already.

Thanks again.

Hi guys

I have managed to acquire a DSLR for my upcoming Nov/Dec trip. I have a Canon S90 P&S already but I thought I would give this ago before I decide if I want to buy a DSLR setup of my own.

The camera is a Canon EOS350D...

post-11269-084571000 1287314662.jpg

post-11269-029144500 1287314672.jpg

And I also have the use of these two lenses...

post-11269-034326300 1287314681.jpg

post-11269-050756900 1287314689.jpg

post-11269-059558900 1287314697.jpg

So guys... looking for advice on what settings to use, is it just trial and error or should I be reading up before I go... if so any sites I should pay particular attention to?

Is it worth even taking it as I will also be taking my S90?

Any advice to this complete photography newbie great appreciated :GoldenSmile1:

Well I only use a small point & shoot & my pics are ok but do not have that pro look to them like some of our members produce.

One of my friends has a Canon S90 & he just pulls it out shoots away & has great pics & it just fits into his pocket.

Its in & out so quick & he has a fine collection of pics this year 2010.

Another friend is into the DLSR & takes it around & does all the pro stuff as he is nuts on Photography.

Its big & with his bag of lenses he is a walking traveler.

When he pulls it out or girls see it around his neck they just fuck of or run for cover.

The fact he looks like a camera man at the Olympics girls ask him for money if he wants a photo of them.

I would say take your Canon S90 for sure but also try the DSRL & then report back & lets us know just how you experenced the times both day & night with the Camera.

On the spot pics & girl pics I also just pull out my little super Sony HX5 & I do ok I think.

I love small cameras & to be fair I am no Camera man with great knowledge.

Hope I have some points that help you. :GoldenSmile1:

Greetings Serpentine,

Im a canon user. The first trip I took only my g10. This trip I am taking my 5d and the G10.

It really depends what you want to get from having the DSLR. will it automatically give you better pictures. Yes and No.

The S90 has a good oversized sensor in comparison to many Point and shoots and it also has a fast lens ( 2.0 ).

The advantage of the DSLR is the larger sensor. Bigger Glass and a higher density of pixels per inch. less noise at higher iso etc etc.

I guess what you need to decide is will you be in a situation that a DSLR will be of use. For me its a yes. Girls in room. pool beach etc etc. Shots from the outlooks. For the party nights and quick shots down soi sex etc. the PnS will be in my pocket. less confronting than a big slr for sure.

http://www.photographybay.com/2009/10/30/canon-g11-iso-test/ - this link shows you a comparison between the DSLR and a G11 that has the same oversized sensor as the S90. shows you some comparison photos.

good luck

coops

ITS MY GAMBLE YOU DON'T LIKE IT THEN GGF

Club C4C

Club BB (sigh)

Club 3DR

I am an olympus user. So not much help on the canon particulars. But a DSLR is a DSLR. Manual, A, S P, etc... The trick is to learn the camera first. What exactly type of shots you are looking to create. Lots of questions to answer before deciding. But if you are getting it for free for your trip, why not. I would travel with the smaller lens for everyday use.

You have a nice setup. That camera and those 2 lens will probably cover all your shooting needs in and around Pattaya. You should definitely learn to use your gear before you arrive though. For the most part you will get good shots just setting it to "auto" and firing away. If you want to maximize your potential in that setup then invest some time into learning how to use it and practice. If you don't have the time then trial and error can be aa lot of fun too. I would suggest you bring your other camera with since you are probably familiar with how that one shoots just in case the dslr just becomes "too much" for you to deal with.

I'm a Nikon user and I bring my D90 along with a single really nice universal lens (18-200). I'm not hardcore enough and much too lazy to carry around a bunch of glass with me while travelling and for the types of photos I am after it works wonderfully. I also find that lugging around my dslr becomes inconvenient at times but I still like to snap photos so I also bring along a small point and shoot that I can just carry around in my pocket. I can also hand that camera off to the girls to let them have some fun snapping photos while I use the dslr.

I used to own a similar camera(Canon 1000D) and both of the same lenses. Replaced teh 1000 with a Canon 40D.They aint bad lenses and i only got rid of them when i upgraded to higher standard glass. I loved the Sigma 70-300 and it was my main general purpose travelling lens. I only replaced it recently with another Sigma lens. The 18-55 is probably better close up and at 18mm its pretty wide too.

If you have the time, see if you can get a hold of a Blue Crane DVD on the 350D. The DVD goes through how to use all the features of the camera to ensure you get the most out of it. If its your first DSLR these DVD's are a really good intro that talk you through things. As you are pretty computer savy, you may be able to download the DVD from a torrent site. Ive managed to find a few. Even if you can't find one for the 350D, see if you can get one for the 400D or 450D as the cameras are very similar.

The only other tip i can suggest is that you play play play with the camera as much as you can to get used to it. Personally speaking i try to use the preset/auto settings as little as possible. Its more fun to get creative and see what you can come up with. The more time you spend using it the better you will get. I actually travel with 3 cameras. A DSLR, a compact and an older waterproof/beerproof compact for beach/pool. I use em all every trip.

Good luck and have fun.

Testicles

That is nice camera for very creative photography - if you know how to use it. Impossible for us here to tell you what settings you should use because it depends on so many things but one thing is sure, you have to use it in Manual mode to get the best out of it. Reading instructions is a MUST and very important, you have to know how to use every single feature.

As for deciding what camera to take with you to LOS I can only tell you to do some test shooting in your own room/place. If you think you got so much better pics with DSLR your choice will be easy....but again, shooting indoor, at night is not so simple. I'd say it's mostly about lighting. Have you got that good you can do great pics even with P&S.

do some test shots now to sus out if the built in flash casts a shadow over the lens onto the pic in low light.

it does with my nikon 24-70mm.

other than that the guys above know more than me.

Thanks for all the good advice given so far guys.

Here is a little experiment...

post-11269-060372000 1287413091.jpg

post-11269-012757800 1287413100.jpg

I fucking hate spiders BTW!

im a nikon d5000 user and i had take many photos in Pattaya. the best way to shoot is in manual or aperture priority.

for low light portrait photos with bokeh you need a big aperture lens. 1.4, 1.8, 2.8.

i had before the 50mm 1.4 but i sell it and i bought the 35mm 1.8 and i like it more. you can see my new trip report in advance section.

for indoor photos you will need also a flash to bounce it in the ceiling to have a more natural picture and cast the shadows.

start shooting different things at home and try different settings. it will help you before you go to Pattaya!!!

happy shooting!!! :)

• 4 months later...

Regarding setting, I have a little tip that you might find useful:

When shooting with flash indoors (your room fx):

If you want even lighting of the whole frame, you can easily let the program mode take care of the settings (combination of shutterspeed and aperture) and get a nicely evenly exposed photo.

However, if you want your subject to stand out from the background (or hide a messy background), shift to manual mode and underexpose the background (anything that is not lit up by your flash). You do this best by setting a faster shutterspeed (higher number) than recommended by the cameras lightmeter. This will cause the background to turn darker while your main subject is still perfectly lit. You can practice this at home with any subject.

Just remember that the Aperture controls the illumination of the flash and the Shutterspeed controls the illumination of the background. Especially useful when shooting wideangle photos.

I would probably recommend you to bring the 350 for in room shooting and and general shooting around town. When out playing, I think the S90 will get you a lot more shots to take home.