IGNORED

What is the biggest difference in double pricing you've seen?

I see a lot of posts about double pricing, and it never really bothered me before but maybe I hadn't been enough places to really notice much of a difference.

What is the biggest pricing difference you've seen in Thailand, between Thais and Farangs, and what kind of place was it? I'm just curious as to how much of a difference we are talking about here

I see a lot of posts about double pricing, and it never really bothered me before but maybe I hadn't been enough places to really notice much of a difference.

What is the biggest pricing difference you've seen in Thailand, between Thais and Farangs, and what kind of place was it? I'm just curious as to how much of a difference we are talking about here

Taxi's, vendors, shops, etc., will try to milk you as much as they can. I have found it's more of not knowing what you "should" pay, that causes the price to go up. Expats living here, usually get the same price as Thais.

here are some helpful hints:

1. Shop with Thais. They will usually tell if you are getting ripped off. This only works if you have a bond with this person. Otherwise, they might work against you.

2. Shop around. Once you know the going rate, you will get a better deal.

3. Negotiate. Unless you are in a store or a mall, everything is negotiable. Start at half of what it states. Don't be afraid to walk away. You can always get a discount if you buy more than one.

4. While negotiating, it is important to be friendly. The more they like you, the better chance they will work with you.

5. Don't let paying a few baht more ruin your time. Remember that most of these vendors are just trying to feed their family.

6. Learn how to speak a little Thai. It truly makes a difference.

Hope this helps!

• Like 2

A lot of places a now starting to change their double pricing for people who live here.

i took my daughter to that undersea world thing at pattaya,first thing they asked me was do i live in Thailand do i have a Thai drivers licence,i said yes showed them and paid the Thai price,was the same when i took her to Dream world.

good advice above, start at 50% of their opening offer always be friendly and then pay what you feel its worth to you,a little extra wont break us.

Have a good example:

Today, I needed some work pants (Thai version of Kahki pants). I went to to Mikes Mall and saw the pants I wanted. A very pretty girl said she would sell it to me for 1,250 Baht. I laughed and walked away. She offered 750 Baht. I thanked her and left....Did I mentioned she was cute?

I went to the Market accross from Central Mall and found my usual place. The Sales girl offered it at 400 Baht. I think I paid 300 Baht last time, but I bought 5 pair. We agreed on 350 Baht. I ended up buying 2 pair of pants.

Note: she taylored them for me.

I Also bought a Polo Shirt. The price was 180 Baht and I did not haggle.

I got 2 pair of pants for 700 Baht and a shirt for 180 Baht.

We both left happy. We call that "win, Win."

Have a good example:

Today, I needed some work pants (Thai version of Kahki pants). I went to to Mikes Mall and saw the pants I wanted. A very pretty girl said she would sell it to me for 1,250 Baht. I laughed and walked away. She offered 750 Baht. I thanked her and left....Did I mentioned she was cute?

I went to the Market accross from Central Mall and found my usual place. The Sales girl offered it at 400 Baht. I think I paid 300 Baht last time, but I bought 5 pair. We agreed on 350 Baht. I ended up buying 2 pair of pants.

Note: she taylored them for me.

I Also bought a Polo Shirt. The price was 180 Baht and I did not haggle.

I got 2 pair of pants for 700 Baht and a shirt for 180 Baht.

We both left happy. We call that "win, Win."

but then we all know the rent in Mikes is a lot more than the market so we have to accept there will be a price difference,Mikes is air conditioned etc,they have to pay towards that.markets are always the best place to buy,lower overheads,that Made in Thailand on second road offers some good prices if they know you are not a tourist aswell.

but then we all know the rent in Mikes is a lot more than the market so we have to accept there will be a price difference,Mikes is air conditioned etc,they have to pay towards that.markets are always the best place to buy,lower overheads,that Made in Thailand on second road offers some good prices if they know you are not a tourist aswell.

True. I am sure they have a higher overhead cost ratio. That is why it's best to shop where the locals shop.

I rarely buy anything in Central, Royal Garden, or Mike's if I don't have to.

One of the worst double pricing policy is even implemented by the Thai government.

E.g. the national park fee on Koh Samet THB 40.- for Thais and expats, and THB 200.- for foreign tourists.

Usually I bargain in Thai.

When you ask “Lodt dai mai? (is a discount possible?), they agree most of the times, even they discount just 10 Baht to keep everyone’s face.

Some sense of humor is also quite helpful. Adding a small joke may increase your changes to get a good deal.

Many times I tell them, if they won’t drop the price, then I’ll be forced to eat just sticky rice for 5 Baht for the next couple of months. Usually this puts a wide grin on their face and they give in.

Overall, bargaining in LOS is a combination of sympathy, fun, respect and keeping face.

BEER: HELPING UGLY PEOPLE HAVE SEX SINCE 3000 B.C.

One of the worst double pricing policy is even implemented by the Thai government.

E.g. the national park fee on Koh Samet THB 40.- for Thais and expats, and THB 200.- for foreign tourists.

Usually I bargain in Thai.

When you ask “Lodt dai mai? (is a discount possible?), they agree most of the times, even they discount just 10 Baht to keep everyone’s face.

Some sense of humor is also quite helpful. Adding a small joke may increase your changes to get a good deal.

Many times I tell them, if they won’t drop the price, then I’ll be forced to eat just sticky rice for 5 Baht for the next couple of months. Usually this puts a wide grin on their face and they give in.

Overall, bargaining in LOS is a combination of sympathy, fun, respect and keeping face.

I don't see the big deal in this,i lived in a tourist based area in oz,and all locals got discounts on pretty much every tourist park,attractions,most restaurants gave us discounts on food and drinks as well.A tourist might visit once,but a local will use these places on a regular basis,seems like good business sense to look after locals to me.We just showed our drivers license for proof

Edited by cairns8

I don't see the big deal in this,i lived in a tourist based area in oz,and all locals got discounts on pretty much every tourist park,attractions,most restaurants gave us discounts on food and drinks as well.A tourist might visit once,but a local will use these places on a regular basis,seems like good business sense to look after locals to me.We just showed our drivers license for proof

Things like these may separate the 1st world from developing countries.

Since the European Union signed the Pact for Equality of Nationalities, all member states are required to impose uniformed charges to everyone, regardless of nationality and country of residence.

Following this guideline, many tourist institutions implemented a bonus system for frequent visitors, which is from my point of view more fair.

I can’t see any fainess why a tourist who visits Koh Samet since 10 yrears should pay THB 200.-, while I vised it just once and paid THB 40.-.

Edited by Benny10

BEER: HELPING UGLY PEOPLE HAVE SEX SINCE 3000 B.C.

I have found in the past that the Made in Thailand market stall holders won't haggle too much at all, went in there looking for some B4B shorts that I would normally buy at the Soi Bhukhao markets and they were nearly twice the price, I suggested to them that I can get them from the other markets cheaper and their response was go there and get them then, haven't been back there since. :Question:

I do believe the OP was referring to the double the entry fee applied to us by the "Tourist" attractions and yes your Thai drivers license will get you into those places for the Thai price.

:GoldenSmile1:

Bam Bam

Edited by Bam_Bam

That which doesn't kill me only makes me stronger

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't think that would be good business sense as that would put most tourists off of visiting that city if it's rampant. And I'm just guessing here but the discount probably wouldn't have been 80%. Many businesses have member cards or buy five get one free promotions to reward returning customers - not a seemingly completely arbitrary policy of making non-local looking people pay 2-5 times the going rate.

But, as someone said, that's the way it is and there's no reason to have it ruin your time here. BUT, that doesn't mean we have to sympathize/agree with their (in many cases, stupid) policy; I for one buy less stuff from those vendors because of this - they don't seem to understand discretionary spending very well and must think we have to buy from one of them so why not force me to pay more by banding together. I guess they are wrong in my case.

Another thing to do is go shopping in bangkok once in a while - much better prices there.

I don't have a problem with it. No reason why Thais should pay the same as tourists to see their own heritage, national treasures, national parks and other attractions. Just because it doesn't happen any more in the politically correct West, doesn't make it wrong.

Waterfall in Ko Chang a few years ago, B20 Thais, B400 foreigners. A 1,900% foreigner surcharge!

The parks and public attractions arn't bad. I don't feel to bad helping maintain something that's interesting and, or educational, espeacily if the Thai users are mainly kids. But what get's me are the hotels that should be trying to attract us. I was at one hotel up North, Golden Triangle, We went to a hotel 1st we asked price $100 Thai girl talks $50 our Taxi driver talkes, shows them police badge, that he still carried although retired, $27. But I came out on the right end of that deal so I'm not complaining. But I wonder what that would cost a family for a week.

Great advice from ExpatDave. I think that you can apply the same principals around the world.

The worst example that I have had of double pricing was not in Thailand but in Argentina. I purchased an internal flight and had to pay just short of double what an Argentinian resident had to pay. It is a blatant policy as you have to enter your country of residence when purchasing the ticket. If you live within Europe (and I would imagine within the US) your ticket automatically almost doubles in price :unsure:

ทำให้ไม่ชอบสงคราม

There is some form of 'double pricing' in the U.S. but as touched upon above it's to more to do with in state versus out of state (and at times foreigners vs. citizens). Especially in things like education rates, etc.

From reading about dual pricing the worst are attractions like Siam Underwater World in Bankgok, and also kickboxing shows where the difference in prices can be more than 1000 baht.

GFE: Gull Friend Experience

Official Pattaya Song

From reading about dual pricing the worst are attractions like Siam Underwater World in Bankgok, and also kickboxing shows where the difference in prices can be more than 1000 baht.

Underwater World in Pattaya allowed me in at the Thai price on presentation of my Thai driving Licence. Fairtex stadium on Tepprasit Rd charges B100 for Thai females, B200 for Thai males and B1,000 for foreigners.