IGNORED

Koh Tarutao Archipelago 1989

plahgat

Hi, guys! I have just edited some more old videoclips from back in 1989,

and made this video showing the lesser known islands of The Tarutao Marine National Park,

off the southwestern coast of Satun Province that borders to Malaysia in South Thailand.

I visited here every year between 1988-1998 and loved it for the seclusion and beautiful unspoilt nature.

The mountainous inland was covered in rainforest with several small waterfalls and streams.

There's a small community of "Chao Leh" or "Sea Gypies" living on the island of Koh Lipeh, and since that island doesn't belong to the National Park

this is the most developed and spoilt island with several bungalow places and restaurants, and this is were most tourists stay.

The bigger islands of Koh Tarutao and Koh Adang are still in there pristine natural state and hopefully they will stay that way!

Lots of smaller wildlife can be seen here hiking the trails like wildboars, monkeys and even King Cobras!

One of the trade marks of this National Park are the big magnificent Hornbills, there is also fine diving and snorkeling off some of the smaller outer islands.

Haven't been back since 1998 so I don't know about the current status of these islands, back then they were still unspoilt with just a handfull of westerners visiting

although sometimes boatloads of Bangkokians would come for a few days island-hopping especially on the weekends.

Accomodation was quite basic in simple wooden longhouses where you rented a simple matress on the floor or you could also rent a tent or bring your own.

Showering was Thai-style with cool rainwater that you splashed on your body with a plastic scoop from a waterfilled concrete basin.

They also had some expensive bungalows with private bath, but they were pretty hot at night without even a fan!

Food was served in a very simple restaurant with just a few ordinary Thai dishes and quite expensive, you could buy some snacks and some home-made Thai sweets in the little shop

that served the staff working in the park.

Since I visited so many times I made many friends with the staff and often ate with them in their private houses!

For more info on the island check this website: Tarutao Marine Park

Here's a link the my website and the video:

Koh Tarutao Archipelago 1989

Enjoy! :GoldenSmile1:

Plahgat

ps would be interesting to hear from people who has been here lately for an update!

When no money... she no give honey!