IGNORED

Hangover 2 is going to take place in Thailand

Zizou Z

http://www.examiner.com/comedy-in-national/confirmed-the-hangover-2-will-take-place-thailand-do-its-best-to-be-as-good-as-the-original

So I personally think this is just terrible news. Now every weekend millionaire with a little bit of savings is going to invade Thailand so they can be "cool" like Bradley Cooper & Zach Galifianakis.

I may be wrong but I believe this will cause Thailand to get more saturated with guys who are willing to fork over 3000 for ST with a BG. This in turn will drive up costs for the rest of us. Moreover your family is going to start having some serious questions about your frequent trips to Asia, because they will probably view the film.

All of a sudden your nephews and nieces are going to suspect that your a lady boy lover.

I hate to be bearer of bad news but I just don't see anything positive coming from this for the rest of us mongers.

Agreed... thanks hollywood. This is not good at all.

Edited by Heineking

Call me old fashioned, but I believe in having sex with a girl at least three times before I'll buy her dinner.

I don't know.

It's not like people around the world already don't have preconceived notions about Thailand. It seems like just about every Western movie set in Thailand features scenes from a go go bar or Soi Cowboy.

So obviously the 'stereotypes' are already there. I'm sure if you ask a bunch of people about Bangkok, one of the things they'll mention is the sex trade. When I tell people I'm going to Thailand, you can tell what's on their mind and sure enough the jokes start flying about happy ending massages, 'whores,' and so on and so forth.

It's not like people out there aren't aware of what happens in Thailand, and there's probably a reason why they are going to film parts of the movie there. We can already predict with certainty that the usual Bangkok cliches will be in there including ladyboys. Certainly it isn't fair to portray the whole country as one big red light district but it is what it is and it exists (and we take part in it).

I doubt this movie alone will cause an increase in tourism because I have a feeling that movies like these are one big joke about the Thai sex industry and stereotypes. They certainly can't capture how cool and intimate and rewarding a GFE is from a bar girl. One would get a more accurate feel for Thailand from the PA forum than a movie.

GFE: Gull Friend Experience

Official Pattaya Song

http://www.examiner.com/comedy-in-national/confirmed-the-hangover-2-will-take-place-thailand-do-its-best-to-be-as-good-as-the-original

So I personally think this is just terrible news. Now every weekend millionaire with a little bit of savings is going to invade Thailand so they can be "cool" like Bradley Cooper & Zach Galifianakis.

I may be wrong but I believe this will cause Thailand to get more saturated with guys who are willing to fork over 3000 for ST with a BG. This in turn will drive up costs for the rest of us. Moreover your family is going to start having some serious questions about your frequent trips to Asia, because they will probably view the film.

All of a sudden your nephews and nieces are going to suspect that your a lady boy lover.

I hate to be bearer of bad news but I just don't see anything positive coming from this for the rest of us mongers.

Maybe it's time to brush off my SAG card. :D

I think the movie could be really good but I agree that it is likely to have a negative affect for mongers and Thailand in general. No doubt it will increase tourism in a huge way but I expect lots of young pissed up cunts coming over trying to pull a "hangover" holiday. This is coming from someone who is 23 too.

i hope they cast real bar girls, mamasans, ladyboys, mongers and expats to some extent to bring in some originality to the place...we shouldnt be too selfish...let the bar girls get some spotlight and let people come and spend more money on them...let them make some extra money.

Long after hangover 2 is forgotten..we all will be around...i don't think anybody is going to spoil the market with a movie..i hope some up and coming thai actress gets a break and becomes a major star in hollywood or better fs she is a bar girl :)

Edited by lavista4u

i hope they cast real bar girls, mamasans, ladyboys, mongers and expats to some extent to bring in some originality to the place...we shouldnt be too selfish...let the bar girls get some spotlight and let people come and spend more money on them...let them make some extra money.

Long after hangover 2 is forgotten..we all will be around...i don't think anybody is going to spoil the market with a movie..i hope some up and coming thai actress gets a break and becomes a major star in hollywood or better fs she is a bar girl :)

Consider what the movie "TheBeach' did for backpackers. This will have an even bigger impact with the difference being it won't be backpackers coming. It will be groups of young dudes drunk and looking to cause as much trouble for the "hangover" holiday. I'm not worried about prices going up. I'm worried up fights and trouble that will be caused and the negative impact it will have on us.

Young drunk dudes full of machismo don't already cause trouble in Pattaya (not all of them)?

Official Pattaya Song

Young drunk dudes full of machismo don't already cause trouble in Pattaya (not all of them)?

It certainly exists. But it will multiply. One of the reasons I went to Thailand for my Holiday is because I was fascinated by the "Beach". In fact most of the young people I spoke to in Phuket stated the movie as their inspiration to visit Thailand.

Maybe I'm just a Debbie Downer but I don't want a gem like Pattaya to loose its sentimental value and turn into Bangkok.

It depends how they portray Thailand in the movie. I'm sure some of you know the movie Hostel, right? Well if you don't check out some clips from youtube. People are basically afraid to travel to those parts of Europe due that movie. As for Hangover part 1, well Las Vegas hasn't seen an increase in tourism since that movie came out. And if it did, then it was slight. Las Vegas is going through a bad depression right now. IMO thought, I really was hoping this film wouldn't take place in LOS.

Consider what the movie "TheBeach' did for backpackers. This will have an even bigger impact with the difference being it won't be backpackers coming. It will be groups of young dudes drunk and looking to cause as much trouble for the "hangover" holiday. I'm not worried about prices going up. I'm worried up fights and trouble that will be caused and the negative impact it will have on us.

Agreed, other films have shown the seedy side of thailand, but this film although overrated I think, will only help do what The beach did for thailand except with more morons coming.

not good at all.

Anyone think they will be casting for extras? i would give it a go, what local company would handle that side of things

It certainly exists. But it will multiply. One of the reasons I went to Thailand for my Holiday is because I was fascinated by the "Beach". In fact most of the young people I spoke to in Phuket stated the movie as their inspiration to visit Thailand.

Maybe I'm just a Debbie Downer but I don't want a gem like Pattaya to loose its sentimental value and turn into Bangkok.

Actually, the movie The Beach was also the reason why I visited Thailand, so that makes a few of us here on PA.

This was an interesting article I found:

http://www.fs.fed.us/ne/newtown_square/publications/technical_reports/pdfs/2006/341%20papers/warnick341-2.pdf

The findings of this study suggest watching or seeing

a movie about Thailand does not induce travel to the

country. For this case of Thailand, this movie, “The

Beach” was not effective in the tourism inducing purpose.

While the sample surveyed in this study does travel, they

were not highly likely to consider Thailand as a travel

destination. College students do not appear to consider

viewing a movie as an important factor that actually

encourages them to visit the filmed location. This was

well supported by the findings from the controlled study.

The likelihood to visit Thailand of the controlled group

did not change even after immediately watching the

movie.

This study does support some of the findings of Kim

and Richardson (2002). In their study of Vienna, they

concluded that a movie did affect some destination

image components but that a movie did not enhance the

degree of familiarity with the destination. In this study

of Thailand, the total effects of a single movie did affect

the ratings of selected features or attributes of Thailand;

however, it did not lead to an increased likelihood to

visit the destination. This study’s findings do appear

to support the aspects of cognitive and affective image

change noted in Kim and Richardson’s (2002) study.

Consequently, the specific movie content does appear to

affect the viewers’ image and perceptions of a destination

portrayed in a movie, but in both positive and negative

ways. However, differences in terms of recall of places

and features about a destination, such as Thailand did

enhance the degree of familiarity (an important variable

noted in the Kim and Richardson study); but, this level

of familiarity appears to fade over time.

While tourist statistics (Tourism Authority of Thailand

2001) did show an increased number of visitors and an

increased number of students of college age to the filmed

location during the run of the movie, “The Beach”,

other causes rather than the movie should be considered.

What might be some of those other causes? It was

possible that the number of visitors increased because of

Thailand’s aggressive overall promotional campaigns at

that time. People might visit the filmed location when

they were already in Thailand for example. No evidence

exists that conclusively suggests that travelers made a

decision to come to Thailand just because of the movie.

However, this study did not survey those who actually

visited to determine if this movie or other movies or

even a combination of movies or other reasons may have

prompted or affected their visit intentions. The study

was structured to determine if the movie would have

an effect. Nevertheless, the movie was found to change

perceptions about some of the features of Thailand.

Consequently, selective visual aspects of the use of this

medium do have an impact in changing perceptions of

destination attributes.

The results from the pre-test survey indicated that most

students did not know much about Thailand; thus,

their perceptions were mainly neutral. This could be

considered favorable to tourism promotion purposes.

Although it implies harder work, putting an image in

a neutral mind is much easier than correcting negative

images and changing various stereotypes. Furthermore,

it may be more worthwhile to target students in the

research process who are more highly motivated to travel

to Asian countries and focus their perceptions upon

creating a positive image that encourages their travel to

Thailand

Official Pattaya Song

Anyone think they will be casting for extras? i would give it a go, what local company would handle that side of things

That would be cool, I'd love to be an extra, with my Pattaya Addicts hat and Devil's Den T shirt.

I'm just praying that old stickman doesn't worm his way into this movie lol.

Anyone else want to take bets on what kind of things we'll see in this movie (assuming it's in Bangkok):

1. ladyboys and jokes about them

2. Soi Cowboy

3. Nana Plaza (maybe)

4. massage parlor complete with ladies in fish bowls

5. ladyboys

6. Scenes inside a go go bar with dancing, gyrating ladies on stage

7. tuk tuk misadventures

8. eating bugs or strange foods

9. the one "good" Thai girl one of the protagonists falls in love with

10.Did I mention ladyboys?

Official Pattaya Song

That would be cool, I'd love to be an extra, with my Pattaya Addicts hat and Devil's Den T shirt.

I'm just praying that old stickman doesn't worm his way into this movie lol.

Anyone else want to take bets on what kind of things we'll see in this movie (assuming it's in Bangkok):

1. Ladyboys and jokes about them

2. Soi Cowboy

3. Nana Plaza (maybe)

4. Massage parlor complete with ladies in fish bowls

5. Ladyboys

6. Scenes inside a go go bar with dancing, gyrating ladies on stage

7. tuk tuk misadventures

8. eating bugs or strange foods

9. the one "good" Thai girl one of the protagonists falls in love with

10.Did I mention ladyboys?

LOl you said it perfectly....they will surely put a clichéd joke about ladyboys and misidentification and taking one to the room etc and yeah the typical one good thai girl who takes care of one the guys in trouble and he falls in love and one local mafia who are after them etc etc

I didn't care for the first Hangover movie, but everyone around seemed to think it was the funniest movie in years. Everyone was talking about it, but I don't know of one person that went to Vegas in search of a "Hangover" adventure.

I don't think Thailand will see a surge in two week millionaires. I make a good living but by no means am I rich. It's taking months of planning and savings for my mongering holiday. I don't see the average guy in the Hangover movie demographic, being able to jump on a plane to Thailand. Add to that the falling US Dollar to the Bath. The way it's looking the Bath will be at 25 to $1 by the time the movie comes out. I'm more afraid of that falling exchange rate then the few drunken dudes the movie may inspire.

The one thing I hope the movie doesn't do is put mongering scene on center stage. Everyone knows Thailand's gogo/bar girl reputation. But, it seems like folks dont think about it much, or realize how bad (or awesome) Thailand really is. If this movie makes the mongering scene a large part of it's plot and associates Thailand with mongering in the minds of the people, it would make it much harder to come up with a believable excuse for my trips.

I didn't care for the first Hangover movie, but everyone around seemed to think it was the funniest movie in years. Everyone was talking about it, but I don't know of one person that went to Vegas in search of a "Hangover" adventure.

I don't think Thailand will see a surge in two week millionaires. I make a good living but by no means am I rich. It's taking months of planning and savings for my mongering holiday. I don't see the average guy in the Hangover movie demographic, being able to jump on a plane to Thailand. Add to that the falling US Dollar to the Bath. The way it's looking the Bath will be at 25 to $1 by the time the movie comes out. I'm more afraid of that falling exchange rate then the few drunken dudes the movie may inspire.

The one thing I hope the movie doesn't do is put mongering scene on center stage. Everyone knows Thailand's gogo/bar girl reputation. But, it seems like folks dont think about it much, or realize how bad (or awesome) Thailand really is. If this movie makes the mongering scene a large part of it's plot and associates Thailand with mongering in the minds of the people, it would make it much harder to come up with a believable excuse for my trips.

You make some very interesting points. What your saying is there is still hope Pattaya won't get infested. Kudos to you sir.

• 2 weeks later...

Mel Gibson was supposed to come in to shoot a few scenes--Wouldn't mind talking to him over drinks at a Pattaya bar. However, Liam Neeson got the job instead as a local tatoo artist.

My sister works at Warner Brothers in Los Angeles. They are filming indoor thai bar scenes in LA including the portrayal of ladyboys. Liam Neeson is filming his role in LA I heard Phuket is where the local filming will be.

My sister works at Warner Brothers in Los Angeles. They are filming indoor thai bar scenes in LA including the portrayal of ladyboys. Liam Neeson is filming his role in LA I heard Phuket is where the local filming will be.

There's going to be ladyboys? I would have never guessed :)

Official Pattaya Song

• 2 weeks later...

im pretty sure they are filming in bangkok, not pattaya. wouldn't suprise me if u see some stars floating around patts though.

There is a poster advertising the movie already in the Bangkok Ekami cinema.I noticed the other night when i went bowling there

Ahh my two favourite places on earth Vegas and Thailand. Loved the first movie about vegas and im sure this will be even better.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2much2soon

• 2 weeks later...

I've seen a few people who find it comes naturally to get pissed and act like an Arse...... :GoldenSmile1:

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$AFBADGE.jpg