IGNORED

Whats Your Favorite Local Fruit?

The pinaeapple.

It's so sweet and the contrasy in flavour between the stuff available from street carts to what we get in the UK is incredible.

I'll be paying a visit to the lady with the cart outside the 7/11 at the rear of the Avenue on my first day. It's always fantastic.

Strangely, I find the pineapple in hotel breakfast buffets to be completely different. This seems to be the case at most hotels. Always under ripe and lacking in flavour compared to the stuff on street carts. 

I like the watermelon also but there's tons of seeds in them in Thailand. I suppose the stuff we buy in western supermarkets is grown to achieve a low seed content, whereas the stuff in Thailand is natural.

• 2 weeks later...

If you love mangoes like myself, visit one of the local markets instead of the supermarket and even the fruit carts on the street: If you are lucky, you will find more than one kind of mangoes. The ones sold in supermarkets are the Nam Dok Mai and Ok Rhong Damnoen varieties - cultivars bred for uniformity. 

The Ok Rhong Damnoen goes into the popular mango with sticky rice. 

If you are really lucky and in time for Mango fairs, do not miss them!

• 3 weeks later...

Dragon fruit,  the ones available in the USA are small and have no flavor, in addition to being extremely expensive.  Also, apple pears,  also hard to acquire in America.  Almost everyday have one or both from random street carts in Pattaya.  Sometimes pineapple for variety.

• 5 months later...

If I am in Thailand and if I need to choose a fruits then Dragon fruit and  Mangosteen is my first choices as they are sweet and it's part of Thai cuisines. 

• 2 weeks later...

Young coconut meat....its very soft, sweet and gelly type semi transparent fresh/meat.  We grow Orange Colour coconut tree in our home, only to take the young coconut meat and water. We used to make tender coconut shake with it.

images (6).jpeg

Edited by Buzzmetricd

Pomelo, the pink variety. It was selling in Central supermarket for 200 a punnet while the yellow variety was going for 110.

I also like the Thai sweet green mango "mamuang keow wan". It's only nice green and the only mango which is best eaten green.

30 minutes ago, Kahoy said:

Pomelo, the pink variety. It was selling in Central supermarket for 200 a punnet while the yellow variety was going for 110.

I also like the Thai sweet green mango "mamuang keow wan". It's only nice green and the only mango which is best eaten green.

I saw Whole pomelos peeled and wrapped in Soi beaukhow market today 50 B

My tastes change as do the seasons when fruits are at their best, Mangosteen when in season are amaseing and cheap, same with mango. I love the Thai Green oranges but they are not so good ATM my favorite at the moment are seedless grapes, 60-70 B  Kg ATM.

Edited by bluechef

Pineapple on the beach is my families favourite...so much so that I regularly buy whole pineapples here and slice them up at home....we are always trying to capture that sweet Thai pineapple flavour and while we get close....not quite.

kids have been to Thailand......Bkk, Hua Hin Patts, Phuket ....probably 6 times over the years and it’s a highlight.   The beach vendors were always happy to see us.

• 3 weeks later...

Hate mango. Don’t like coconut or mangosteen.

Love pineapple and a combination of that with papaya and dragon fruit usually goes down well.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

• 1 month later...

Got to be Mangosteen or Pineapple. Pineapples are always so sweet in Thailand.

Honorable mention to Lychee.

I'm not a fan of Durian at all.

I have grown accustomed to green sour mangoes.  Even when in Australia I have found a place that sells them and when paying at register they always say “you know these are not sweet, very sour”.   They are better because the seed is either smaller or very flat so much easier to eat. 

On 19/02/2020 at 15:36, BlooBell said:

The pinaeapple.

It's so sweet and the contrasy in flavour between the stuff available from street carts to what we get in the UK is incredible.

I'll be paying a visit to the lady with the cart outside the 7/11 at the rear of the Avenue on my first day. It's always fantastic.

Strangely, I find the pineapple in hotel breakfast buffets to be completely different. This seems to be the case at most hotels. Always under ripe and lacking in flavour compared to the stuff on street carts. 

I like the watermelon also but there's tons of seeds in them in Thailand. I suppose the stuff we buy in western supermarkets is grown to achieve a low seed content, whereas the stuff in Thailand is natural.

Taste better with the seeds.  I freeze my watermelon as a healthy option to other sweets like icecream 

• 4 months later...

Even after two trips I would not pretend to be very educated about Thai fruits and veggies, but I definitely make an effort to eat rambutan when I'm there. Trying a durian with some friends the first time was quite a misadventure, as I'm sure some of you can empathize with.

On 09/10/2010 at 14:30, Oeshon said:

Sa Pa Rot.

For some reason their pineapple is so much nicer than the pineapple in Australia. I buy it a few times a week easy.

Sweeter, the Saparot i buy in Broome is always sour as F#ck.....

Anytime I see the fellow driving that silver pickup truck selling strawberries I will buy some.  80 baht for a big ass bag and they're delicious.  He can be found along Soi Buakhow and beach road during the day.  I've got like 4 bags in my freezer for smoothies.  

On 28/09/2020 at 18:30, bokek said:

All fruits are healthy

I have several favorite fruits

mangosteen, mango,dragon fruits

All depends on how much sugar they have , some are loaded with sugar

On 10/11/2020 at 06:52, TNTucker said:

I have grown accustomed to green sour mangoes.  Even when in Australia I have found a place that sells them and when paying at register they always say “you know these are not sweet, very sour”.   They are better because the seed is either smaller or very flat so much easier to eat. 

You may already be aware of this but the green mango eaten green in Thailand is not just any unripe mango. It is a particular variety of mango called "mamuang keow wahn" which translates as "sweet green mango".