IGNORED

Bangkok: Do not travel says DFAT

deanjames

Sorry for posting this here but I am not allowed access to the Bangkok forum yet.

I am due in Pattaya in 2 weeks, i really hope the shit isnt hitting the fan again?!

Anybody know what this is all about?

Thanks

http://www.travelmole.com/stories/1142395.php?mpnlog=1

19 May, 2010 Adjust font size:

Bangkok: Do not travel says DFAT

Australians are advised not to travel to Bangkok (excluding Suvarnabhumi International Airport) due to the extreme risk of violence around military cordons and the possibility of widening violence. The Thai authorities have intensified military operations around a cordoned area in central Bangkok and heavy fighting is likely. There is a risk of violence breaking out elsewhere in Bangkok. Australians in Bangkok are advised to stay indoors, monitor local media and follow the advice of local authorities. Australians in Bangkok without essential business should consider departing if it is safe to do so.

At this stage there are no reports of civil disturbances affecting the operations of Suvarnabhumi International Airport.

DFAT advises intending passengers to reconsider their need to travel to Thailand due to the deterioration in the security environment caused by widening political unrest and civil disorder occurring in Bangkok and other parts of the country. Australians in Thailand should avoid any protest sites, demonstrations or military cordons and exercise extreme caution due to the strong possibility of further violence.

The Australian Embassy in Bangkok is still operational. However, due to ongoing violent clashes in central Bangkok, including in front of the Australian Embassy, the Embassy will be closed to visitors from Monday 17 May 2010 until further notice. Australians in need of urgent assistance should contact the Embassy by phone, or they can contact the 24 hour Consular Emergency Centre in Canberra (see Where to Get Help for details).

By: Philip Thorniley

Hmmm...I'll only be in BKK for a day (going from there to Phuket), so hopefully it won't interrupt my plans...would seriously suck. I'll be arriving on the 13th or 14th...just enough time between now and then for things to get heated up.

months ago mate, dont worry its all been sorted for now. Where you been hiding?????????????

Ahhhh...I didn't click the link, nor pay attention to the date...no worries then. :GoldenSmile1:

i wouldnt worry about it everytime ive beeen to thailand there is something going on bird flu, red shirts/yellow shirts, airports being stormed but ive been lucky to not notice any of it

Sorry guys I just noticed the date too, the stupid thing is that I received the email with that link in it today!

They are obviously trying to drive more traffic to their website, well it worked...

DFAT and other government departments are always issuing warnings...if you believe everything they post absolutely no where is safe.

Sure, there are some problems, but its aslo an ass saving exercise, so if something were to happen, the government can say, "well, we warned you, didnt we?"