IGNORED

Nikon D60

Shivers

I've got a Nikon D60 (Nikkor 17mm-200mm lens) that I'm decent with, but am far from an expert. Since I'll be taking it with me on my next trip to the LOS in 2 weeks, I'm currently reading through my user's manual, but if any of you are shooting with this make/model of camera and have some useful pointers you could give me, it would be much appreciated.

Hi Shivers

I've got a Nikon D50 which I assume is similar to your D60. Mine must be an older model.

I'm still learning how to use it and obviously I'm no expert. I'll be in Patts from 9/10 to 2/11 so if you fancy meeting for a beer and photo excercise let me know.

Cheers

Tony

My first advice would be to buy a decent prime. The 35mm f1.8 is, in my opinion, your best bet. A prime lens will gave you nice sharp images but also let you take pictures in low light without flash, and finally give you that nice 'blurry background'. 35mm is closer to 'normal' focal length i.e. what you see is what you get, and you need to zoom with your feet. A lot of people recommend 50mm primes, well, I have both, and I use the 35mm way more. The 50mm is just too 'tight' on a crop sensor like the D60.

Second thing (actually, potentially the first) would be to purchase a TTL flash that would enable you to 'bounce' from ceilings etc. Then pick up a TTL cord that allows you to use the flash held in one hand and the camera in the other. This basic trick takes the flash off axis and improves the lighting. Thirdly pick up a second flash unit and a couple of stands and ebay triggers :).

As for settings, well, that depends on what it is you're trying to do. At night with my flash I'll put the camera in manual mode, meter for the background i.e. adjust shutter speed and aperture so the background looks 'good' (don't worry if shutter speed is low and image is blurred, your subject will be pin sharp from the flash, and background blurred anyway through depth of field), then let my flash work out how much light to throw on the subject.

Edited by jojo90

Hi Shivers

I've got a Nikon D50 which I assume is similar to your D60. Mine must be an older model.

I'm still learning how to use it and obviously I'm no expert. I'll be in Patts from 9/10 to 2/11 so if you fancy meeting for a beer and photo excercise let me know.

Cheers

Tony

I have also just purchased a secondhand D40 with 35mm , 18-55mm and 55-200mm lens i am currently learning how to use this camera and live in Pattaya what i need is somebody to show me the various settings over a Beer or three!

Am looking into buying a flash maybe the SB400 any advise? :001_Thank_You5:

I didn't bring my camera to Afghanistan with me, but it has been mailed to me and I'm hoping it will get here prior to me taking off for Thailand. Provided it does, why don't the three of us hit up Billabong for some beers and around October 25th...say 3pm? Just throwing a date and time out there...not concrete unless it sounds good to you two. We can bring our cameras, have some drinks, and see if we can learn something in between getting tipsy and checking out women.

My first advice would be to buy a decent prime. The 35mm f1.8 is, in my opinion, your best bet. A prime lens will gave you nice sharp images but also let you take pictures in low light without flash, and finally give you that nice 'blurry background'. 35mm is closer to 'normal' focal length i.e. what you see is what you get, and you need to zoom with your feet. A lot of people recommend 50mm primes, well, I have both, and I use the 35mm way more. The 50mm is just too 'tight' on a crop sensor like the D60.

Second thing (actually, potentially the first) would be to purchase a TTL flash that would enable you to 'bounce' from ceilings etc. Then pick up a TTL cord that allows you to use the flash held in one hand and the camera in the other. This basic trick takes the flash off axis and improves the lighting. Thirdly pick up a second flash unit and a couple of stands and ebay triggers :).

As for settings, well, that depends on what it is you're trying to do. At night with my flash I'll put the camera in manual mode, meter for the background i.e. adjust shutter speed and aperture so the background looks 'good' (don't worry if shutter speed is low and image is blurred, your subject will be pin sharp from the flash, and background blurred anyway through depth of field), then let my flash work out how much light to throw on the subject.

Thanks for the advice Jojo, but I'm not looking to have to purchase any equipment at the moment...would prefer to learn with what I've got, then go from there. I find it easier to learn how to use one piece of equipment before buying more and having to learn 3 or 4 pieces of equipment at the same time. Guess I'm not the smartest guy in the world.

I've seen the results of pictures taken with flashes you bounce of walls and they do make quite a bit of difference (probably more so when photographing Thai girls who like to put a lot of baby powder on their faces).

Shooting at night has been my downfall due to shutter speed being slower and the shitty built-in flash on the camera (not to mention the lack of a tripod). I prefer to shoot scenic shots during the day or at sunrise/sunset. I'm not big on shooting people, as you can probably tell from my TR (555), but I wouldn't mind getting a few nice pictures of my girl in a scenic setting. I guess what I'm mostly looking forward to is getting pictures of the beach on Phuket and perhaps at "James Bond Island."

The OP didn't ask for a way to spend his holiday money , buy an extra lens , buy 2 flash units , ttl cord , some stands , ebay triggers ,

just how to use the camera .

IMHO the 17-200 will do fine as it has the 35,50,ect. in it already . Just get the iso up to 640/800 and you get the same effect .

You don't wanna make all pictures with the full aperture of 1,8 as it has almost no depth .

I think you're advise is fine for a bit more experienced photographer but things like bounce flash and manual lightning isn't the way to start .

Just start with the pictograms for sport/ portret / nightshot , ect. and find somebody who can show you the tricks .

The only way is make lots of photos with different settings and look back on your pc what works best by looking into the pictures EXIF info .

Thanks for the advice Jojo, but I'm not looking to have to purchase any equipment at the moment...would prefer to learn with what I've got, then go from there. I find it easier to learn how to use one piece of equipment before buying more and having to learn 3 or 4 pieces of equipment at the same time. Guess I'm not the smartest guy in the world.

I've seen the results of pictures taken with flashes you bounce of walls and they do make quite a bit of difference (probably more so when photographing Thai girls who like to put a lot of baby powder on their faces).

Shooting at night has been my downfall due to shutter speed being slower and the shitty built-in flash on the camera (not to mention the lack of a tripod). I prefer to shoot scenic shots during the day or at sunrise/sunset. I'm not big on shooting people, as you can probably tell from my TR (555), but I wouldn't mind getting a few nice pictures of my girl in a scenic setting. I guess what I'm mostly looking forward to is getting pictures of the beach on Phuket and perhaps at "James Bond Island."

OK then a couple of things. For beach shots put the camera in P or auto mode and pop the flash especially in the daytime. This will hopefully capture the nice background and subject, rather than the background being overblown, and subject dark. I don't know if the D60's internal flash will be powerful enough, but worth a go.

To blur the background with your lens and get a nice portrait shot then put the camera in 'A' mode, turn the aperture down to the lowest number, then zoom in, probably > 50mm, and shoot. You might need to zoom > 100mm or even > 150mm, I don't have this lens so I'm unsure.

A very cheap way to improve the lighting is to get a big bit of cardboard, cover it in foil, and use it as a reflector :).

I know other's don't agree, but to get the most out of a DSLR then a decent prime and off camera flash really change things. More important than your choice of body is lens and lighting. Zooms are OK but they don't give you all the creative capabilities of a DSLR. f1.8 actually isn't that narrow on a 35mm prime for portraits. f1.4 on a 50mm prime is a different beast :).

Here are a few pictures I've taken with the camera...will give you an idea of what I can do. Or, more accurately, what I can't do. :D

DSC_0003.jpg

DSC_0006.jpg

DSC_0017_2.jpg

DSC_0020 3.jpg

DSC_0025.jpg

DSC_0038.jpg

DSC_0082 2.jpg

DSC_0095.jpg

DSC_0106 2.jpg

DSC_0107 2.jpg

Thanks Jojo...never thought about using the flash during the day, but it makes sense the way you explained it. Those are the kind of tips I was looking for. :D Hopefully the camera will get here prior to my holiday and I can mess around with a few different settings and lighting conditions to give a some more experience prior to arriving in the LOS.

good advice here and in all your posts on this thread.

50mm has always as far as i can remember [back to the 70's!] been recommended [and it's always been slr standard prime]. but when i first used an slr [i'm not into stills much but my old man was] i thought 50mm was way too narrow. 35mm is far better. i prefer 24mm. you also hear people say 50mm = what human eye sees [although i've read that is really 40+mm]. anyway you're right. 35mm will be far more useful. fast 35mm primes don't seem very common though. [i was after an m42 35mm i seem to remember them not being fast enough]

the off camera cord idea is great [it's simple yet effective] as is the home made reflector [easy to make anywhere. all you need is alcan, cardboard, tape],

Edited by MONOCHROMEMAN

Dom...Not sure if I'm staying at Billabong again, but it's likely (provided they'll have rooms available). If not, I'll still be staying on Soi LK Metro, and Billabong is a great place to meet up (plenty of seating, good views up and down the soi, and reasonably priced drinks). As for the pink shirt...I don't think I have it anymore (no idea where it took off to). :D

I'll check out the thread in the TR section and I'll hit you up when I get into town.

Here are the locations of the pix:

1. Ft. Lauderdale, Florida

2. At a park somewhere in the panhandle of Florida

3. "Top Of The World" in Moab, Utah (and yes, I had my hand on the emergency brake driving close to the edge like that :D )

4. Top of Angel's Landing in Zion National Park, Utah (I hiked up there)

5. Taken while driving...think I was in New Mexico at the time

6. "The Narrows" in Zion National Park, Utah

7. "The Narrows" in Zion National Park, Utah

8. Lake Pleasant, Arizona

9. Lake Pleasant, Arizona

10. "The Narrows" in Zion National Park, Utah

11. The Grand Canyon in Arizona

12. "The Narrows" in Zion National Park, Utah

13. The Grand Canyon in Arizona

14. "The Narrows" in Zion National Park, Utah

15. Hell if I know...was on a cross-country trip and not using maps

16. "The Narrows" in Zion National Park, Utah

Best thing about Billabong was their 24 hour bar. Since I'm not sure what day I'll get to Pattaya (22nd or 23rd), I can't exactly book in advance, but there are a ton of places to stay on Soi 6 (most of them cheaper than Billabong). Don't get me wrong, but for 750 baht per night in the off season, and considering the room I stayed in, plus seeing as how I booked it for 26 days, I thought it was a bit on the high side.

I didn't bring my camera to Afghanistan with me, but it has been mailed to me and I'm hoping it will get here prior to me taking off for Thailand. Provided it does, why don't the three of us hit up Billabong for some beers and around October 25th...say 3pm? Just throwing a date and time out there...not concrete unless it sounds good to you two. We can bring our cameras, have some drinks, and see if we can learn something in between getting tipsy and checking out women.

Good idea. I've made a note of the time and place. It will be great to exchange info.

Your photos look spot on to me.

Cheers, and see you 25th.

Tony 0892 522095 (Ihope it still is when I arrive next week)

Edited by Derbytony

Got my camera in the mail today! :D Unfortunately I'm not going to be able to mess around with it and get some practice shots in because my parents sent me a 9v charger (for a vehicle) and no wall charger...no vehicle here to plug it into. Guess I'll be buying a charger for it when I get to BKK. At least I'll have the camera with me when I go to Phuket...very excited about the pictures I can get there.

Tony...I'll hit up you and Dom when I get to Pattaya (should be on the 22nd) and see if the 25th at 3pm is still good with you two. I'm staying on LK Metro, but not at Billabong. However, we can still meet at Billabong since it's a good spot to go to.

I have a spare charger should you need it! :GoldenSmile1:

Thanks for the offer. But unfortunately, I'll be going from BKK to Phuket to Isan, and only after that to Pattaya, so I'll need to buy one while in BKK. No worries though...shouldn't be too much.

Shivers, you got some great shots there mate you have a great Eye for a photo..

I'm in Town myself, lets all meet up with our cameras and slam a few beers down. :BeerFunnel1:

I may get called for work, but lets make a date here for all that can show up.

Again, very nice photos mate,

Mick.

Sounds good Mick. I'm thinking Monday, October 25th at 1pm would be a good time. You'll notice I changed the time from 3pm to 1pm...thinking we'd have more light to play with if we meet up at 1pm...providing you all can wake up by then. ;) As it gets closer, I'll shoot you all a PM as a reminder.

See you all at Billabong. You can't miss me...I'll be the guy with the big camera. :GoldenSmile1: