IGNORED

Cultural Sites in Thailand

I am going to Angkor Wat in NOV and have to pass through BKK to get back to the U.S. Any ideas on sites I should check out for a few days or is their a city with a large amount of cultural temples and sites to visit? Thanks for your help. Just trying to plan my trip better. I might even hit up Patts again or maybe see Phuket.

• 2 weeks later...

if culture and temples is your thing then a trip to Ayutthaya is your best bet. Ayutthaya was an old Siamese kingdom and has many old temples intact from 100s of years ago. They are spread out a little bit so best to rent a motorbike or hire a tuk tuk. The tuk tuk guys there are fairly good and haven't ripped me off in the past. They also style the tuk tuks there differently which looks cool. The place is fairly small and has a cool vibe, yet a major highway runs through Ayutthaya which gives it a busy feel around the main road (when infact it isn't too busy a place).

Ayutthaya is only an hour or so from Bangkok so you can make a day trip out of it. It's also possible to get to Ayutthaya via the river and they have some private companies that run a boat trip from BKK to Ayutthaya.

Ayutthaya also has a few other things to do. They have a pretty cool floating market in town that is very popular with thai tourists. Can watch a cultural show there, eat some food, shop, recharge your batteries between temples etc. They do elephant rides, boat rides and other touristy stuff there too.

Ayutthaya also has some shrine to one of the old kings. I forget which one but the place is very interesting and near one of the temples. It has a bunch of chickens/roosters there.

Anyway I will put up a couple pictures of the stuff I am talking about. I think it is worth the trip if you are into cultural stuff.

Some pictures of the ruins and temples. Have lots of different ones spread around the town.

12848436.jpg

68990950.jpg

69858793.jpg

25380207.jpg

Ayutthaya Style Tuk Tuk

aaaxp.jpg

Shrine to Old King

aa1c.jpg

aa2dm.jpg

Floating Market

51232102.jpg

qqqb.jpg

qqqql.jpg

Hope I have been helpful. :D

Here's a few suggestions for the more obvious cultural attractions...

The Grand Palace is a good starting point. It also houses Wat Phra Kaew - Temple of the Emerald Buddha, regarded as the most sacred Buddhist temple in Thailand.

Also nearby...Wat Pho - Temple of the Reclining Buddha.

Wat Traimit - houses the world's largest solid gold Buddha.

The National Museum is also worth a visit.

Fancy a spectacular potted history ? Siam Niramit could be worth a look.

I like to take in some of the less obvious, but just as satisfying sights...

Koh Kret is a good day trip that will get you away from the more obvious Bangkok, and a walk through Monk's Bowl village will bag you an unusual souvenir.

I also found this Google map which may give you a few more ideas.

Edited by Slacker

Wow! Thanks for the suggestions the BG that I met on my first trip suggested these sites as well. I let her know that I am interested in visiting these temples and cultural sites. She loves her country and showing me around so it is a win win, plus she is very religious. Thanks and +1 for both of you.

if culture and temples is your thing then a trip to Ayutthaya is your best bet. Ayutthaya was an old Siamese kingdom and has many old temples intact from 100s of years ago. They are spread out a little bit so best to rent a motorbike or hire a tuk tuk. The tuk tuk guys there are fairly good and haven't ripped me off in the past. They also style the tuk tuks there differently which looks cool. The place is fairly small and has a cool vibe, yet a major highway runs through Ayutthaya which gives it a busy feel around sexy lingerie the main road (when infact it isn't too busy a place).

Ayutthaya is only an hour or so from Bangkok so you can make a day trip out of it. It's also possible to get to Ayutthaya via the river and they have some private companies that run a boat trip from BKK to Ayutthaya.

Ayutthaya also has a few other things to do. They have a pretty cool floating market in town that is very popular with thai tourists. Can watch a cultural show there, eat some food, shop, recharge your batteries between temples etc. They do elephant rides, boat rides and other touristy stuff there too.

Ayutthaya also has some shrine to one of the old kings. I forget which one but the place is very interesting and near one of the temples. It has a bunch of chickens/roosters there.

Anyway I will put up a couple pictures of the stuff I am talking about. I think it is worth the trip if you are into cultural stuff.

Some pictures of the ruins and temples. Have lots of different ones spread around the town.

Hope I have been helpful. :D

Amazing pictures!

EDIT: I'm hoping to see many sites like that on my trip in 2 weeks!

Edited by AngieJackson

• 1 month later...

If short of time visit the Ancient City just outside of Bangkok. it is an historical park with a few real building but with replicas a famous structure all across the kingdom. It is a popular site for movie shoots for that reason. Nice day trip.

p.s. I'll add a link.

http://www.ancientcity.com/?q=/en/photo-galleries

Edited by Sam Hill

If you fancy a day outside the City try the bridge over the River Kwai, always enjoy that (just saw the movie again on tv).

The movie is fiction but fun anyway. The bridge was taken out by aerial bombing, not by a team sent in. But be aware that a visit to the cemeteries can tear your heart out. :(

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

For a few days. Ayutaya is close to bkk and has great sites. With more time. Sukhothai and kampaengphet are great.