Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | The Night Wish Group | Thailand 24/7 Forum | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News | | Pattaya Investigations | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

End of trip - antibiotics assistance

manchero

To cover any nastys that haven't yet developed?

If yes.

Which antibiotics type/course/duration covers the most?

Any recommendation for a pharmacy in pats?

Or if Im way off with this one, pls let me know.. Just thought it was an idea. Of course preventions are in place but nothing is 100% right?

Regards.

If you want to be overly cautious, take a course of Zithromax (Azithromycin). It covers most of the 'curable' STDs... However, nothing beats just being 'safe' while you're having fun. Also, keep your immune system up during your trip and that will help a lot. Exercise regularly, eat healthy, and drink plenty of OJ and water.

Well I'll admit that I take a course of antibiotics when I travel. However by taking Antibiotics you develop a resistance to over time and those little bugs can get resistance too also... So it's one of those do as I say not as I do type things.

There is a nasty strain of Gonorrhea running around Pattaya right now that is difficult to get rid of for example... And that's due to the strain evolving over time getting resistant to the antibiotics.

It is never a good idea to take a pill unless you show a symptom, but I also think it is OK to self prescribe if you KNOW what you have and what you are taking... You can grab some antibiotics for intestinal issues, or drippy dick syndrome or other things only if you know what you are doing.

In Pattaya... that means that you can walk into a pharmacy and tell them your issues AFTER you get any issues then tell them and they will prescribe. If you don't want to listen to a Pharmacist then you can go to a clinic, there are millions of them all over Pat's...

Trying to Stay Out Of Trouble, But It Isn't Working

To cover any nastys that haven't yet developed?

If yes.

Which antibiotics type/course/duration covers the most?

Any recommendation for a pharmacy in pats?

Or if Im way off with this one, pls let me know.. Just thought it was an idea. Of course preventions are in place but nothing is 100% right?

Regards.

Check out this thread here for answers.

Never take a drug 'just in case' and if you think that you have something always get it checked out. Sorry Tansak KTV but it is not ok to self prescribe, that is exactly how a strain of an std becomes resistant to antibiotics in the first place.

Edited by leadpencil

ทำให้ไม่ชอบสงคราม

I would recommend taking 2-3 tabs\caps before travelling. This would build up the anitbodies even before the bacteria get into the body. Builds up short term immunity...

Doxycycline is easy on the stomach and is a broadbased antibiotic...

sorry Tansak KTV but it is not ok to self prescribe, that is exactly how a strain of an std becomes resistant to antibiotics in the first place.

Accepted but to each his own, By self prescribe I am talking about after you see doctor for same issue so many time I have no issue with walking into a thai pharmacy and getting the med's and taking them without going back to a clinic every time. I also find it acceptable to talk to a Thai Pharmacist over going to a clinic.

Accepted but to each his own, By self prescribe I am talking about after you see doctor for same issue so many time I have no issue with walking into a thai pharmacy and getting the med's and taking them without going back to a clinic every time. I also find it acceptable to talk to a Thai Pharmacist over going to a clinic.

I agree with you on the pharmacists and I find them far more knowledgeable and helpful in Thailand than back home in the UK. This ties in with the fact that they have a greater freedom to issue drugs that may be prescription only.

IMO the danger comes when someone experiences symptoms in Thailand which are similar to an infection that they have previously experienced back home. In a tropical climate that particular infection or drug may react completely differently or, of course, the infection may be something entirely different in the first place.

ทำให้ไม่ชอบสงคราม

I usually go to Patts Methodist hospital and get a proper set of medications.

Can I ask what for? For STD or pre-existing condition or general check up?

I go to two pharmacy's and bring back a bunch of med's due to the fact I can't get many med's at home and the cost of med's I can get are expensive (some are just illegal in my country also). And due to the poor medical situation we have and my need for testing for work reasons I do a lot of medical work in Manila / Bangkok / China.

For many cases a local clinic in Pat's can do most the testing and analysis that most folks would need done and I wonder what you get done at Methodist hospital and their costing and turn around time.

I got hammered by the mozzies during my first trip & developed a very bad infection in my legs; bad swelling, weeping bites etc. They seem to leave me alone now, but occasionally one bite does get infected.

I self prescribe Amoxycillin & 600mg Ibuprofen every time, which seems to not only clear up any infection, but prevent any further one for the duration (1 month) of my holiday.

They are both cheaply available at every pharmacy (not Bee, don't ever go there). Ten Amoxycillin tablets (3 day course) for 50B & ten 600mg Ibuprofen tablets for ~75B.

People have assumed that you were asking about treating STDs. If this is the case, consult a doctor (300B consultation) as specific medication is required to treat specific STDs; a broad spectrum antibiotic will not do in this case.

Peace. :GoldenSmile1:

EDIT: 600mg Ibuprofen tablets should be taken no more than TWICE a day. A good pharmacist will tell you this, but TIT.

Edited by El Cata
sgu_banner.gif

Can I ask what for? For STD or pre-existing condition or general check up?

I go to two pharmacy's and bring back a bunch of med's due to the fact I can't get many med's at home and the cost of med's I can get are expensive (some are just illegal in my country also). And due to the poor medical situation we have and my need for testing for work reasons I do a lot of medical work in Manila / Bangkok / China.

For many cases a local clinic in Pat's can do most the testing and analysis that most folks would need done and I wonder what you get done at Methodist hospital and their costing and turn around time.

I talk to the doctor and ask for a generic antibiotics for urinary tract infections ..etc. These things can get really nasty and it gives me a peace of mind to get the medication. I admit that probably it is not much of use and more of a psychological affect than anything else.

As to why the hospital instead of a local clinic, I have never been to a local clinic in patts before. First time I needed to see a doctor in Patts (a severe case of sub burn), I was recommended to go to the methodist hospital since they had a dermatologist. Since then, wherever I needed to see a doctor, it was back to the methodist hospital.

It is not expensive at all, remember that "Expensive" is subjective like many other things, and what I consider not expensive, might be expensive to someone else.

it is not good for anyone to take antibiotics unless they need to as your body builds up immunity to them so when you actually get do sick it is a shit load more difficult to shake any illnesses and eventually almost impossible.

Just wear a rubber.

I talk to the doctor and ask for a generic antibiotics for urinary tract infections ..etc. These things can get really nasty and it gives me a peace of mind to get the medication. I admit that probably it is not much of use and more of a psychological affect than anything else.

As to why the hospital instead of a local clinic, I have never been to a local clinic in patts before. First time I needed to see a doctor in Patts (a severe case of sub burn), I was recommended to go to the methodist hospital since they had a dermatologist. Since then, wherever I needed to see a doctor, it was back to the methodist hospital.

It is not expensive at all, remember that "Expensive" is subjective like many other things, and what I consider not expensive, might be expensive to someone else.

Peace of mind is the most important thing. But... just some comments...

Take Cranberry Pills or drink a few cups of cranberry juice a day if you worry about UTI's or get it often.

You should be able to just walk to a pharmacy for the same as what you get at the hospital. UTI's are so common in Thai that unless you want specific testing and are going for peace of mind you can just get Doxycycline, azithromycin or such and take home with you.

it is not good for anyone to take antibiotics unless they need to as your body builds up immunity to them so when you actually get do sick it is a shit load more difficult to shake any illnesses and eventually almost impossible.

Just wear a rubber.

Sorry to be pedantic here mate but,

An individual does not build resistance to ABs. If an AB is predominant in a population then the surviving bacteria mutate to a resistant strain. Then the 'herd immunity' of the population is reduced. Same same but different!

Edited by El Cata
sgu_banner.gif

Sorry to be pedantic here mate but,

An individual does not build resistance to ABs. If an AB is predominant in a population then the surviving bacteria mutate to a resistant strain. Then the 'herd immunity' of the population is reduced. Same same but different!

No worries mate, the outcome is the same but thanks for correcting my obvious error.

No worries mate, the outcome is the same but thanks for correcting my obvious error.

No problem matey. I have a bee in my bonnet regarding these things, so no offense meant. Although I'm one post ahead now :P .

sgu_banner.gif

No problem matey. I have a bee in my bonnet regarding these things, so no offense meant. Although I'm one post ahead now :P .

Return serve he he he

Return serve he he he

Hey I saw Rocket Ronnie make a 147 yesterday. He was a bit slow this time, last time he did it in 5 minutes. Game on! Tick tock tick tock.

sgu_banner.gif

Hey I saw Rocket Ronnie make a 147 yesterday. He was a bit slow this time, last time he did it in 5 minutes. Game on! Tick tock tick tock.

Fuck it, it is the Australian Football League grand final in an hour or so so I am heading out for a beer or 12 he he he

Fuck it, it is the Australian Football League grand final in an hour or so so I am heading out for a beer or 12 he he he

OK mate. You have a good night watching your upside down football team. Chat later. :Good_Night:

sgu_banner.gif

Thanks mate, watched the match, and it was a draw, more beer he he

I would recommend taking 2-3 tabs\caps before travelling. This would build up the anitbodies even before the bacteria get into the body. Builds up short term immunity...

This is the type of use that is wrong.

When a doctor prescribes anti-biotics they usually say that you have to take them for so many days or until they are finished. This is for a very good reason. The length of time that you have to take the drug is what has been found to totally remove the bacteria from you body. When you start taking the drug the more susceptible bacteria get killed first with the most resistant ones dying last. If you don't finish the course you leave the move resistant bacteria in your body. As the bacteria gets passed around (and with abuse of drugs) the bacteria builds resistance. The drug may become useless against the bacteria.

• Like 1

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

Indeed, what Scumbag says. But I think you have a bit of an misconception here. Antibiotics have nothing to do with your immune system. They are chemicals as any other drug (vs. vaccinations) and will not leave anything in your body once washed out. In fact, some antibiotics can actually lower your immune system if taken regularly.

So it's not just a bad idea because it'll build up resistant germs (and not just the STD ones you're actually thinking about) in your body but the concept plainly isn't working.

Cheers,

mo