IGNORED

motorbike

deathlay

ok,coming to Thailand for the third time next week and each time i allways think about hiring a motorbike but allways end up not doing it as i allways hear all the horror storys about motorbikes and Thailand,i am not an experianced biker but guessing these bikes are throttle and go, so am i being stupid and should just hire one or is it really that dangerous to be riding over there.Thinking it is a cool way to get around,any input would be helpfull..cheers

Edited by jay2fruity

Theres a bunch of threads related to hiring riding bikes safely in Pattaya try to search and come back with more specific questions

Cheers

Who is fit to govern others?

He who governs himself. ?

You might as well have said: nobody.

do a google search for "motorbike accidents pattaya"

maybe then you get a clou about what to avoid to drive safely in Pat's..

That was my point,if i google something like motorbike acciendents in pattaya you allways get the bad storys up,was just asking generally if it really was safe or not.Anyways just was looking for a"dont be a idiot its ok the ride around"or a"dont be stupid loads of accidents evreyday"kinda thing.Thanks for taking time to reply

okay

ALWAYS wear a decent helmet, proper foot wear, eye protection at a MINIMUM.

Riding in pattaya is not for the faint hearted.

Who is fit to govern others?

He who governs himself. ?

You might as well have said: nobody.

have insurance that allows you to ride a bike, the bills can be really bad. One mate had serious surgery and 3 months in hospital , came to 2.5mbt

its not so much you that you need to worry about, its all the other nutters on the road. Drunk drivers 24/7, generally indication is out, so be good at guessing. Overtaking/undertaking everywhere- so eyes in the back of your head

in the last 2 nights I have seen 5 different BG's all the same newly bandaged up around the knees ankles and ass

my guess is 100+ motor cycle accidents a day in and around Pattaya

if your a betting man the odds are fairly good you will have some sort of accident- if you do rent I hope its only a small accident

good luck

I wouldn't call Pattaya safe for motorcyclists and certainly wouldn't recommend to a newbie biker but if you have some experience and drive safely it's do-able. If first visit I'd hold off a couple of days and get a feel for it before I jumped on a bike. IMO (unless you know it well) bangkok is a definite no. Places like chiang mai and other spots further out are fine.

defo will skip getting a bike seems like it isn't worth the risk for how cheap it is to get around anyways.thanks for the replys.

defo will skip getting a bike seems like it isn't worth the risk for how cheap it is to get around anyways.thanks for the replys.

Now you see... I think that is totally the wrong opinion.

If you know how to ride a bike with an average level of proficiency, and understand that traffic just kind of flows... that if the front wheel is in front of the other bikes that gives them the right of way... use your mirrors a lot... use your signal and understand that others do not use their mirrors and signals... then you'll be fine :GoldenSmile1:

Having a bike means you have more access to other things that the average punter doesn't get to see or experience. Now you have to have a place to stay that gives you parking and you should be there for a decent length of time. If I was there for a 5 days I would skip it, but my trips are weeks not days.

Trying to Stay Out Of Trouble, But It Isn't Working

Now you see... I think that is totally the wrong opinion.

If you know how to ride a bike with an average level of proficiency, and understand that traffic just kind of flows... that if the front wheel is in front of the other bikes that gives them the right of way... use your mirrors a lot... use your signal and understand that others do not use their mirrors and signals... then you'll be fine :GoldenSmile1:

Having a bike means you have more access to other things that the average punter doesn't get to see or experience. Now you have to have a place to stay that gives you parking and you should be there for a decent length of time. If I was there for a 5 days I would skip it, but my trips are weeks not days.

Thanks Tansak for the advice,think i have just read to many horror story's that put me off,think i will throw caution to the wind and get one but just try to go easy,better get my insurance cover now ready :).

If you are new to biking get used to riding around in the daytime mid morning when it is light and less likely to be drunk drivers around. Head down to Jomtien or up to Naklua where the soi's are quieter and get a feel for the bike more. Get used using the mirrors (smaller than car mirrors) while still being aware of the road in frount, and try an emergancy stop so you are used to how the bike handles when you have to stop suddenly.

As previousally mentioned don't on any account wear flip flops, wear tough leather trainers as a minimum, if possable wear jeans and a thick long sleaved T shirt at first. Is not always possable to hire decent helmets from hire shops, but try and pick the most sturdy looking one they have. At first don't blast through gaps between traffic in beach road, and as your confedence on the bike grows, don't ride don't get cocky and always expect the unexpected from Thai drivers and riders. Do a basic check of the bike tyres, brakes, steering etc before you rent and rent a fully auto bike as you will have enough to concentrate on at first without worrying about gears.

All that said is a good way of exploring areas out of centre of Pattaya, some lovely quiet beaches if you out past Jomtien on Sukhumvit road, and nice chilled out area if you go inland to round Maprachan Lake.

I have really enjoyed the freedom from riding bikes both in Pattaya and other places in Thailand. I always take a steady appoach to riding and have never had any real problems.

cheers

Thanks Tansak for the advice,think i have just read to many horror story's that put me off,think i will throw caution to the wind and get one but just try to go easy,better get my insurance cover now ready :).

Check the fine print of your insurance cover bro.

Mine states that i need a Thai license or i will not be covered if i have an accident.

Nice pointers thanks.Think i will defo get one now and do as said and drive around like a grandad for first day or 2 and not drink and drive.Last thing,filling up a bike in thailand same as in u.k or different if i remember rightly they have people who fill your bike/car and you do nothing,correct me if im wrong.

Nice pointers thanks.Think i will defo get one now and do as said and drive around like a grandad for first day or 2 and not drink and drive.Last thing,filling up a bike in thailand same as in u.k or different if i remember rightly they have people who fill your bike/car and you do nothing,correct me if im wrong.

All the petrol stations have attendants. Check that the pump is zeroed before fuel delivery commences. If you want the tank brimmed say "dem tang kap".

All the petrol stations have attendants. Check that the pump is zeroed before fuel delivery commences. If you want the tank brimmed say "dem tang kap".

thanks gogo dog..How much baht roughly fills up a moped?

ok,coming to Thailand for the third time next week and each time i allways think about hiring a motorbike but allways end up not doing it as i allways hear all the horror storys about motorbikes and Thailand,i am not an experianced biker but guessing these bikes are throttle and go, so am i being stupid and should just hire one or is it really that dangerous to be riding over there.Thinking it is a cool way to get around,any input would be helpfull..cheers

Have you ever ride a Bike back home or anywhere?

Do you have nerves of Steele, and fast to learn the local traffic pattern ?

Rule No 1: always expect the unexpected (against all laws and normal behavior in traffic).

Not many follow traffic rules, many don't even have a DL, neither do they care 'one way', or right or wrong side of the street.

Is it dangerous? some 100+ accidents a day is a deadly proof of that.

Only you know how good you are, riding a motorbike.