IGNORED

Learning thai DVD

MunterHunter

When i arrived at Dubai airport just over 2 weeks ago i seen a counter selling packs to lean language's.

There was a tv showing the format of how these teach.

What i liked is that it had a persons face aboce the phrase or sentence being taught.

I think it was a yellow case/box they were in. I did mean to return to ask questions but was to tired.

Anybody seen these?

Rosetta Stone.

It's an awful way to learn Thai because it doesn't teach to you read and write which helps tremendously when learning Thai.

Thai <-> English translations. 100% anonymous and confidential. Cheap rates. Paypal accepted. Email Lek on "[email protected]"

My mate 'irishfella' thought it was her stuff and also said its crap.

I have searched on the web and there is no one in Edinburgh who offers teaching thai? there is a company but its a national company and they want 30 quid an hour?

I have emailed the local buddist temple to see if they know of anyone but as yet no reply and im not expecting one. I might pop in and ask.

Im pretty suprised there seems to be no one offering teaching thai where i stay.

It's an awful way to learn Thai because it doesn't teach to you read and write which helps tremendously when learning Thai.

A large number of Thai courses do not start with reading and writing - it would be a step too far for most, myself included, who will find the tones enough trouble without the daunting prospect of another alphabet. Most of us will have picked up our mother tongue using the same principles as Rosetta Stone - looking and repeating. 'Whatever works' is usually the best way to learn !

A large number of Thai courses do not start with reading and writing - it would be a step too far for most, myself included, who will find the tones enough trouble without the daunting prospect of another alphabet. Most of us will have picked up our mother tongue using the same principles as Rosetta Stone - looking and repeating. 'Whatever works' is usually the best way to learn !

The script is very easy to learn, don't be intimidated. It pays dividends very early on.

I can't imagine having to learn tones without it.

Thai <-> English translations. 100% anonymous and confidential. Cheap rates. Paypal accepted. Email Lek on "[email protected]"

I have made the decision im going to try.

Even just enough to have a basic conversation.

So far my quest to find a thai teacher has drawn a blank. I am pretty suprised at that.

My mate is supposed to be sending me a cd he learned from. Lets see whats this is like.

The script is very easy to learn, don't be intimidated. It pays dividends very early on.

I can't imagine having to learn tones without it.

My current teacher has mentioned that learning Thai script will prevent tone 'mishaps' in the future, but she's leaving that until I've mastered the Beginner's course she has prepared (which could be some time !).

I have made the decision im going to try.

Even just enough to have a basic conversation.

So far my quest to find a thai teacher has drawn a blank. I am pretty suprised at that.

My mate is supposed to be sending me a cd he learned from. Lets see whats this is like.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say for the very basics you don't need a teacher, you just need a native speaker and a copy of Teach Yourself Thai. Just buy the book off Amazon or eBay and download the CDs off Demonoid.com or I can post links here.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say for the very basics you don't need a teacher, you just need a native speaker and a copy of Teach Yourself Thai. Just buy the book off Amazon or eBay and download the CDs off Demonoid.com or I can post links here.

Basics for startes mate but thats the only real option anyway if there is no hope of finding a thai teacher here.

I have one more thing to try with the teacher route. This was going to be my little project, learning thai.

if you have broadband you could learn over skype for around £5 an hour

Got any more info on that mate?

I did see something but they wanted between £12 to £15 an hour which is okay.

A friend of mine gave me a bootleg of Rosetta, with about 30 languages on it. I'm sure there's still a torrent out there somewhere. Also, I've tried Total Immersion, that I bought here in California.

I've done a couple semesters at Wat Mongkolratanaram in Berekely, California. They have a three level course, twelve weeks long for only $120 per term. I made a lot more progress with the class method than I did with either computer-based course.

Anyone living away from LoS near a Thai temple should check and see if they offer a language class. The wat here also has a big Sunday brunch each week.

I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals.

Winston Churchill

• 3 weeks later...

My advice would be that whatever system or tutor you go with make sure that the course gives you a clear focus on word pronunciation and tones. Thai is a tonal language. For that reason you do need to be able to hear tones and identify them and be able to speak them. Any phonetic system used must show the tone, and show it clearly. Without this, any learning you do will be seriously compromised. My own Thai language learning was badly off-railed by learning incorrect pronunciation and lack of word tone awareness at the very start. I started learning well over 10 years ago, and the handicap of not being taught correct pronunciation has stayed with me ever since. Frustrating and very limiting for my communication effectiveness to say the least.

A book and dvd course I found that really helped was Speak Thai, a combined book and dvd learning course. They have a great focus on teaching correct pronunciation of difficult Thai sounds, and their tone learning practice system really made a big difference to me being able to speak Thai tones correctly. The dvd has a native Thai speaker saying the words very clearly, the phonetic is easy to read with no pre-learning of systems required, and with all words having clear tone marks. The seeing, hearing and speaking approach they have was really very effective, and overall the course was easy to follow and succeeded in keeping my interest and motivation going.

I attach a link to their website here - you can play a section of the dvd and see how the corresponding section appears in the book.

Speak Thai look inside dvd

I would also recomend the the David Smythe book someone else mentioned in this thread. It doesn't have the advanatage of a dvd showing all the words and phrases like Speak Thai but it's very comprehensive in covering the key grammar you need to know. The grammar coverage and language insight is a strength of both courses, and for me, if I were having to choose a course, this is one thing I would advise people to look out for. Too many books / courses lack this and so although you may learn some Thai words and phrases, your understanding of how you use them and their meaning is lacking. People simply looking for Thai audio learning should in paricular be aware of this, as so much of what is available, simply doesn't give you the true language undersatnding and insight you need. Most don't even try.

Sorry, for the long post -I think I may have drunk too much coffee!

Hope this is helpful.