Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Getting my Sak Yant

yankee99

A fellow board member in town on holiday told me he wanted to get a sak yant (tattoo). I had been wanting to get one also but never got around to it. He told me about a monk in chonburi. I had my Gf call as i wanted to confirm it was a real monk. Well come to find out he was trained by a monk. I think if i am getting a sak yant i want it blessed so i want the real deal.

My friend then contacted Mr Ts taxi as we booth have previously read about his service to wat bang phra. Mr T is excellent for trips to and from the airport. Mr T quoted 6500baht for the booth of us this included the offering to the monk. This seemed very high as the offering is basically up to you. The minimum that 99% of thais pay 125baht (a plate with cigarettes flowers etc 100baht and 25baht cash). Now you can leave a envelope also but the thais that were there didnt. We left 2500 in the envelope for the 4 of us. This was probably over the top but we liked the monk. Mr T also said 3500 baht just for the taxi service. I also thought expensive.

OK we will just drive as i have a vehicle. Got the GPS coordinates off the web which were incorrect. Had my GF call for directions and it took about 3 hours and we arrived. Found a monk doing tattoos. In front of him they sold the offerings 100baht. We purchased 4 as our GFs decided they wanted yants also. The girls decided on oil instead of ink. This way no one can see the yant. Also if you have a yant already you will be asked to sweep (clean) the yard around the temple. I dont know if falangs are asked to do this too.

Our monk had no line but i understand they have 3-5monks in different areas of the temple working. The girls yants seem to be done in 10minutes or so. Mine seemed to take forever but maybe 20 minutes. The pain was about 6 of 10. The healing was only a few days and no pain at all...

This is the first temple if you are here you are lost

P1000153.jpg

They also like Zebras if you see them you are still lost

P1000157.jpg

5 minutes down the road we are at the right temple

P1000158.jpg

P1000160.jpg

P1000161.jpg

This lady was there when we showed up so we just did what she did

P1000162.jpg

Here is the needle.

P1000163.jpg

Here they mark for the oil tattoo. These guys need to clean their fingernails.

P1000164.jpg

Here is the oil tattoo finished. Looks like a mess to me?

P1000170.jpg

Here is the ink tattoo finished

P1000171.jpg

fellow board members tattoo

P1000178.jpg

One of the monks helpers yants

P1000179.jpg

some more pics from the temple

P1000176.jpg

P1000181.jpg

P1000182.jpg

P1000183.jpg

P1000184.jpg

P1000185.jpg

P1000186.jpg

P1000187.jpg

P1000188.jpg

Playing with the zoom

P1000190.jpg

Edited by yankee99

A fellow board member in town on holiday told me he wanted to get a sak yant (tattoo). I had been wanting to get one also but never got around to it. He told me about a monk in chonburi. I had my Gf call as i wanted to confirm it was a real monk. Well come to find out he was trained by a monk. I think if i am getting a sak yant i want it blessed so i want the real deal.

Sak Yants don't have to be done by a monk to be the "Real Deal" they can also be done by an Ajarn or Archan (depending on the translation) which means Master

Have a look at this website, he's 15 mins from Pattaya over on the Dark Side, he is a highly respected Ajarn / Archan here in Thailand

http://www.poodumtattoo.com/

:Chokdee:

Bam Bam

Edited by Bam_Bam

That which doesn't kill me only makes me stronger

Have a look at the 3 photos attached first 2 are my back and the third, an English guy that had his back done in 3 weeks, took 7 days in total

Archan Anek is a true Artist and his work is second to none.

Halfway there

WMbackworkinprogress2.jpg

Finished

WMFinished.jpg

English Guy

backpiece_day7_complete.JPG

Bam Bam

wow the guys pretty dam good, is there any meaning to the tattoos ?

ive always wanted to get something done but never really found something that i want(ed) to be put on my body for life,

The vast majority of it is meant to bring you good luck in all it's varying forms, love life, career etc.

Archan Aneks brother in law is a monk and he tells me that I have some special bits on my back, that he has never seen him give to other people, claims I have magic, well believe that if you wish, not sure I do.

:GoldenSmile1:

Bam Bam

i thought monks were not allowed to touch females, or have i got it round the wrong way females cant touch/give gifts to monks, either or, still nice pictures, and hopefully its been a good experience. and atleast you got there in the end :)

• 2 months later...

I was keen to get a Sak Yant this trip and asked the missus to help in my quest. I initially asked Bamboo Tattoo on Soi 3 for a quote. Bamboo wanted 2500 Baht for the job although they had no definitive book of designs. Disappointed by their attitude (and lack of authenticity), I asked my GF to speak to Poodum and get an estimate, etc. His website states that you will get a quality tattoo at a fraction of the cost of other places. This didn't sound very spiritual to me and the quoted price...3500 Baht - didn't strike me as 'a fraction of the cost'. Finally, my GF discoved a Ajarn operating in Kabin Buri and we duly made arrangements. Quite a drive from Pattaya - approx 2.5 hours - and we arrived at the building he works from. There was a small queue ahead of us (all girls I might add) and we waited about an hour. The Ajarn apparently used to be a monk at Wat Bang Phra - I'm not sure of the veracity of that statement. He was certainly covered with Yant - whole body icluding several visible under his hair. His English was restricted to "Move your head" when I wsn't leaning forward enough, but he was a highly personable chap and chatted with everyone freely while tattooing. My GF and her friend were along for oil tattoos and assisted with the Yant by holding my skin taut to ease the process. 30 minutes of cross-legged seating left me in agony - enough to blank out the marginal discomfort of the tattoo process. One quick wipe with a Sangsom soaked rag and we were on to the blessing which involved some gold leaf on the forehead and both hands. Some words or symbols (?) were inscribed in the gold leaf and it was then rubbed into the skin with a candle. I had some doubts about the prospects for the tattoo with regard to the repeatedly-used instruments and the aftercare, but after the Ajarn had finished the area felt hot for about an hour and after that I didn't know it was there. No blood seepage and with a modicum of care (mild wash and light moisturiser) the tattoo was completely healed in a couple of days, although it took about 5 for the full colour to reveal itself. I would still advise caution with swimming and sun-bathing until healed. Cost ? 199 Baht plus floral offering. I added an extra 100 and didn't ask for the change. :rolleyes: Once the girls had received their oil yants - both involving lurid sexual positions - I left a further tip of 500 Baht for the three of us. The Ajarn would accept no more !

A couple of notes for would-be seekers...

You will need the assistance of your GF (or other Thai speaker) to find the place and aid you with the process, as English is most-definitely not spoken. I'm pretty sure he works every day and continues until evening. A couple of assistants will ensure the skin is held taut and eases the whole process. I think fellow Yant-seekers in the queue will assist if necessary - it was a good-humoured crowd and plenty of yakking and showing of Yants already owned. Once again, no 'book of designs' to choose from - basically you request the kind of spiritual assistance you are looking for and the Ajarn will suggest a design. I got the Gao Yod (literally 'nine peaks') which is for good luck and opted for red ink, which I think looks more pleasing. The closer to the head, the better for this tattoo...so be prepared for one that starts at the base of your neck.

I thoroughly enjoyed the day despite the long drive. Heading back to Pattaya we stoppped at a gas station with a restaurant behind it. Good basic food - chicken 'something-or-other' and rice all round plus 3 bottles of water - and the bill a whopping 210 Baht ! Below is my Yant after a couple of days - the colour has yet to fully deepen. Another one beckons on my next trip.

IMG_0144 (Medium).JPG

Edited by Slacker

Sak Yants don't have to be done by a monk to be the "Real Deal" they can also be done by an Ajarn or Archan (depending on the translation) which means Master

Have a look at this website, he's 15 mins from Pattaya over on the Dark Side, he is a highly respected Ajarn / Archan here in Thailand

http://www.poodumtattoo.com/

:Chokdee:

Bam Bam

in the village its the grandfather is prefered to do these tattoos

i remember my tgf brother being upset at his grandfathers passing and

not having these done