IGNORED

Orangutan abuse at Nong Nooch

QuotaMan

Video caption says it was filmed at Nong Nooch flower garden which I assume is the one in Pattaya.

GFE: Gull Friend Experience

Official Pattaya Song

Thats terrible, I've emailed a link to the video to the their website.

Thats terrible, I've emailed a link to the video to the their website.

Thank you, it's still upsetting to see.

Official Pattaya Song

I'm not a big of animals in captivity unless they are I'll in the first place but this is just shocking.

Unfortunately animals in Thailand are just seen as a cheap way to make money. I hate to see elephants in Soi Cowboy, the snakes in Walking Street and those poor slow lorises that are dumped on people in the bars. The main tourist attractions are just as bad and people just buy into it for the sake of a silly photo. I remember reading a claim that the tigers at various places like Sri Racha are not drugged, but I defy anyone to sit next to an un-sedated one (baby or not). The snake and crocodile 'shows' are just abuse at a slightly lower level. There are genuine sanctuaries in Thailand that do care about their animals, but not in tourist resorts like Pattaya.

I wonder if Laamok will get a response from Nong Nooch ? I hope so, but sadly doubt if anything will change.

Edited by Slacker

my trip to the crocodile farm was distressing enough on my last visit,never again..steve irwin would turn in his grave..100s of them stacked up in small pens..but that is fecking disgrace i was willing the monkey to break his nose..send it to the guy in cornwall someone "chimpanzee world" or summat..

I'm surprised he was allowed to get away with it. Ok the orangutan was a bit overweight and probably old but still they are extremely strong and that one could have sent that guy flying if it wanted.

I went there a few years ago - will not go again or any other attarction with animals in Thailand.

Hope this is not racist, but Asians seem to have a different idea one what is acceptable regarding animal treatment. That Orang is grossly overweight, probably drugged, and they are all youngsters (where are their mothers, dead in an Indonesian forest !!) and what happens to them when they become too old. They also have drugged up tigers that you can stroke, sit next to and have your picture taken. Disgraceful

yeah this is my one complaint with thailand its animal abuse. i'd never visit one of their zoo's / shows etc

Neither Nong nooch has replied, nor has The nation newspaper, I will keep trying.

no way is nonnuch going to reply nor do anything about it,

the phuying who owns that is rather wealthy and could care less.

the best you can do is not support these places or people.

Member since Dec 06.

no way is nonnuch going to reply nor do anything about it,

the phuying who owns that is rather wealthy and could care less.

the best you can do is not support these places or people.

a 4th place on google might get a reply? shall I ?

Ok if you want this to get some attention you could create a facebook group and then watch it snowball. We done something simialr against a Dolphinarium.

Or you could report this to the WSPA who are actually based on BKK.

WSPA Asia

19th Floor, Olympia Thai Tower 444 Ratchadaphisek Road, Huay Kwang, Bangkok 10310 Thailand

Phone:+66 2 513 0475

Fax:+66 2 513 0477

Email:[email protected]

Web:www.wspathailand.org

Ok if you want this to get some attention you could create a facebook group and then watch it snowball. We done something simialr against a Dolphinarium.

Or you could report this to the WSPA who are actually based on BKK.

WSPA Asia

19th Floor, Olympia Thai Tower 444 Ratchadaphisek Road, Huay Kwang, Bangkok 10310 Thailand

Phone:+66 2 513 0475

Fax:+66 2 513 0477

Email:[email protected]

Web:www.wspathailand.org

Good idea with the facebook. I am waiting to see what the management say first, they might be unaware of it. I don't want to slam a business until I know the owners thoughts on it. If they are happy with the abuse, then its fair game.

I have sent an email to the wspa and will do a follow up phone call.

Good idea with the facebook. I am waiting to see what the management say first, they might be unaware of it. I don't want to slam a business until I know the owners thoughts on it. If they are happy with the abuse, then its fair game.

I have sent an email to the wspa and will do a follow up phone call.

If support is needed with additional emails to lend weight to the complaint, then let us know. I expect that this may be easier from 'in-country', especially if they want to follow up with the complainant.

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the concern and efforts to get the establishment to take note.

I've found a few orangutan sanctuary types to get their opinion on this and see what they say.

Official Pattaya Song

i saw the same stuff when I visited Nong Nooch last year. It was a different Ape/Monkey though. It was being uncooperative with posing for photos so the thai guy started laying into it. He fired off a good 8-10 flurry in the face of the animal infront of everyone. Karma prevailed and everyone waiting for a photo walked off in disgust (except for one family who I think were Russian?).

Let me send the video to my friend at CNN. Maybe it will get some serious airtime...

I've emailed a couple of ape centers, including Monkey World, but haven't gotten any responses.

Maybe they don't care or it's low on their 'priority' since it's thousands of miles away. Who knows.

Official Pattaya Song

I got no problem with humane treatment of animal's in zoo's or wildlife parks, but if this Orangutan is anything to go by there are serious issues that need to be addressed at Nong Nooch.

"If it feels good, just keep doing it!"

• 1 month later...

I just received this response lately from Monkey World:

Thank you for taking the time to e-mail Monkey World regarding Nong-Nooch gardens.

Apologies for the delayed response but we have been inundated lately. Sadly we are aware of this place and have had several reports from concerned animal lovers such as yourself in the past. Like the rest of the zoos/wildlife parks in Thailand, we do not have the legislation behind us to get involved. Unless it can be proved that they have been smuggled into the country illegally we are powerless to help.

There is little we can do for animals being kept in establishments that hold a Zoo License and operate within the legal framework for that country.

We are constantly campaigning to the National and International Authorities to amend their laws for the benefit of animals – and we will continue to do so.

In the future I hope there will be some kind of international standards committee that will ensure animals kept in at least comfortable, suitable conditions.

We are aware of the huge problem in South East Asia and the Directors do travel to this part of the world regularly and are keen to help the various authorities to establish their own laws and regulations. We have recently gently opened a rescue centre for Endangered species in Vietnam which houses over 14 gibbons already, many confiscated from Thailand.

Our mission is to assist Governments to stop the smuggling of primates from the wild. At our centre the refuges of this barbaric trade are rehabilated into natural living groups. We cannot rescue all the monkeys living in poor conditions in zoos/parks across the world as we would not be able to survive both in terms of space or financially as we would be full in days.

If you would be happy to, please write to the Thai Embassy expressing your concerns and asking that they look into the situation, other places that you could complain to are ;

Commander

Forestry Police Division

Phaholyothin Road, Chatuchak

BANGKOK 10900

Tel: +66 (2) 579 15 13/5

Fax: +66 (2) 940 62 34

Email: [email protected]

National Park, Wildlife and Plant Conservation Department

61 Phaholyothin Road, Chatuchak

BANGKOK 10900

Tel: +66 (2) 561 48 38

Fax: +66 (2) 561 48 38

Email: [email protected]

These are both involved in enforcing wildlife law.

Official Pattaya Song