Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

train to thailand

gareth

my mate has been to Pattaya a few times and even though he had a fear of flying he still went , but a couple of years ago he had a mental breakdown through a genetic defect and since then he has not been able to fly .

what i am trying to find out is if there is a train route from europe to thailand , the siberia-china takes 7 days which is a long time ,

anyone know a quicker way

"And were you pleased?" they asked Helen in Hell.

"Pleased?" answered she,when all Troy's towers fell;

And dead were Priam´s sons, and lost his throne?

And such a war was fought as none had known;

And even the Gods took part; and all because

Of me alone! Pleased?

I should say I was!"

Lord Dunsany

Whilst it is possible it takes a long time and the journey itself should be looked upon as an adventure or a holiday in itself rather than just a means to get to Thailand.

It would take a lot of planning not just the trains but hotels and visas as well so rather than just trying to get here as quickly as possible overland enjoy it for what it is an experience probably a once in a lifetime one.

Thailand is not the be all and end all he would be traveling through a lot of countries take time to experience them all he may even find somewhere he likes better than Thailand.

There is another option he could speak to his doctor or psychiatrist who may be able to help.

Al.

i hope he does it and posts a trip report.i love to travel by train.good luck.

Our first stop is in Bogota

To check Colombian fields

The natives smile and pass along

A sample of their yield

Sweet Jamaican pipe dreams

Golden Acapulco nights

Then Morocco, and the East

Fly by morning light

[Chorus:]

We're on the train to Bangkok

Aboard the Thailand Express

We'll hit the stops along the way

We only stop for the best

Wreathed in smoke in Lebanon

We burn the midnight oil

The fragrance of Afghanistan

Rewards a long day's toil

Pulling into Katmandu

Smoke rings fill the air

Perfumed by a Nepal night

The Express gets you there

There is always the option of traveling by sea a lot of freighters or container ships carry a few passengers I would guess it would take 6 weeks or possibly more depending on the route taken and number of ports it stopped at.

Certainly not the quickest or cheapest as it costs around £100 per day but still an option for anyone who cannot or doesn't want to fly.

The times and costs are only my estimates so I could be way out but would IMO be a rough guide a shipping agent in the UK may have more information.

Al.

Shame that he has to do it but at the same time I think it would be an amazing journey, something that I would love to do when I retire.

ทำให้ไม่ชอบสงคราม

Nearly did london -> bkk by train last trip when I had 5 weeks but reasoned not enough time. Only 4 weeks this coming trip so same problem. Definitely going to give it a go sometime.

If anyone has done it before or has any advice on bits of it, it would be hugely appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

Nearly did london -> bkk by train last trip when I had 5 weeks but reasoned not enough time. Only 4 weeks this coming trip so same problem. Definitely going to give it a go sometime.

If anyone has done it before or has any advice on bits of it, it would be hugely appreciated.

A good forum as a start would be Lonely Planet's thorntree. Also have a look at TravelPod to have a look at the trips that others have made.

I've got friends who have done it before in 6 weeks. It seemed that there was awful lot of planning that they needed to do before they left.

Firstly the time of year and the weather ie if you want to go for Thailands high season it means travelling through Russia & Mongolia through their winter.

Secondly, visa's. It seemed that they needed to arrange several visas - Ukraine (I think), Russia, Mongolia, China - before they left.

Even at 6 weeks, they seemed to think that it was too rushed and at times it didn't feel like a holiday at all!