Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Will a Strong Baht keep you away?

Helios

So I noticed the baht has made a 13 year high against most other major currencies. To those of you who make LOS your choice of travel, how will this affect your future travels to LOS?

yep aussie $$ still good. Wouldnt keep me away anyway

Farang = Walking ATM. TG's push the right buttons and money comes out. PIN = BBBJ

I'll be moving over there next year, so hopefully imported goods will end up cheaper. On the other hand, it does mean that I have to save more money for an emergency fund before I go though.

Peace. :GoldenSmile1:

Edited by El Cata
sgu_banner.gif

:Biatch12::HiSexy1::Greetings9::ILoveU2::What::Pervert1::Good_One:

Same same with me, the Aussie dollar is standing firm and will get firmer towards the end of the year/start of next when the LNG mega projects go into construction in Australia North West Shelf

Woo Hoo

The exchange rate would have to get a lot worse to stop me from coming.

Strong baht will not dissuade my trip, but, sadly, two scheduled trips the same month as my planned November trip are going to force me to cancel it. I haven't had the heart to actually go online and cancel my flight (free with miles) and hotel (booked with points) yet, but I may do it this weekend.

Money isn't the killer; it's finding a way to take the time off from work for all of those trips (one trip to a convention that I HAVE to go to; the other for the Pacquiao/Margarito fight at Cowboys stadium...can't miss that!).

To console myself, I will be able to add a quick holiday weekend trip to Las Vegas. Plus, given the huge chunk of miles and points that will be dropped back into my Continental and Holiday Inn accounts, I'll be set for a trip whenever I can find the time.

Still....NONE of that makes up for missing my annual pilgrimage to Pattaya....

WOW! I had not looked at exchange rates in quite a while.....daaaaaaaamn, the USD HAS plummeted vs the baht! It's going to be in the 20s soon!

WOW! I had not looked at exchange rates in quite a while.....daaaaaaaamn, the USD HAS plummeted vs the baht! It's going to be in the 20s soon!

Yep. I got some USD travelers cheques in the cupboard, and they can stay there until the rate improves.

Farang = Walking ATM. TG's push the right buttons and money comes out. PIN = BBBJ

I'll be moving over there next year, so hopefully imported goods will end up cheaper. On the other hand, it does mean that I have to save more money for an emergency fund before I go though.

Peace. :GoldenSmile1:

lol...you have forgotten about Thai logic. They will just get larger profits... :GoldenSmile1:

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

For my last trip i worked on getting 50bt to the £, it was actually 53 on arrival. So for this trip i'll simply work on the rate a couple of days prior to departure and take a bit of extra cash to make up for any shortfall.

Unless it goes to 10 Baht the US$, I will still go, just drink less! :ShitHappens1:

Unless the US prints up another 2 trillion I dont see the $-> Baht going less than 20... I hope!

lol...you have forgotten about Thai logic. They will just get larger profits... :GoldenSmile1:

Same thoughts, they rather have their right hand cut-off than lowering the rates.

BEER: HELPING UGLY PEOPLE HAVE SEX SINCE 3000 B.C.

depends on how strong the baht got to the pound, if it dropped well before 40 baht i might consider somewhere more favourable to the exchange rate until things balanced out,

or atleast not be so keen to book until things balanced out

For me me, the big losers are going to be the "Irish" Pubs and any place where there are ++ next to the menu prices.

More street food, have a couple of beers from 7-11 before hitting the bars, no more 3000baht long times etc

Since 2005 I have been visiting Pattaya two times a year. If the strong baht continues I might only be able to do one visit a year BUT I will try my best to continue with two visits a year

1.00 GBP = 47.9314 THB

It was almost no 46 earlier this week. Hopefully it will go back up to 48/49. Overall though it won't stop me going, it's cheap as chips if you tried to do the same sort of thing somewhere in Europe or Brazil.

I was actually running some numbers thru a calculator to see how this plays out:

- pretty sure baht was around 33 baht/USD on my trip last November (think most places gave me less, but that's a nice round number)

- for purposes of this calculation, I'll use a rate of 30 baht/USD (again, it may be even lower)

Now let's say a LT -- LDs, bar fine, tip, everything -- ran you 3000 baht (obviously, most on here pay a LOT less, but I'm using that as a round figure).

The difference in the exchange rate would work out to just over $9 USD ($100 USD instead of $91 USD).

While that IS a 10% increase, the amount isn't significant enough to change my plans.

The bottom would really have to fall out before it would really change my plans, and, if the dollar dropped THAT much, it would be due to economic issues that would likely prevent my trip, in any event.

Good news BoT has stepped in to stop the Bhat strengthening further as they consider it is bad for exports so £ $ has recovered a bit today.

Hell do not know about Exports as I thought all of us mongers were imports or are we implanting?

Loving it on Soi 6

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the Bars are almost empty, the streets are quiet, hardly any Europeans in sight.

This year is without doubt, the slowest years since 2000.

A few areas doing good, like Walking Street and Soi Buakao - else it's dead.

The spinners now go with Indians and Arabs due to lack of other tourists.

So Where are all you guys who say the bad exchange rate don't matter ? :Busted:

I put parachutes on my U.S. money, because of the free falling.

image.png image.png