IGNORED

Newbie Guide to Baht Buses

philkrenshaw

Nope still 10 baht for a ride on the routes I travel

• 2 weeks later...

I've used the baht bus many times, but always the general 2nd rd. north, beach rd. south route. Does the baht bus run on 3rd rd. going south? I will be staying in Soi LK area next trip and I want to get to Tony's gym that is just south of south Pattaya rd. on 3rd rd. If I'm on 3rd rd. and a baht bus is coming, will it take me there? Thanks for any info.

Cheers.

I've used the baht bus many times, but always the general 2nd rd. north, beach rd. south route. Does the baht bus run on 3rd rd. going south? I will be staying in Soi LK area next trip and I want to get to Tony's gym that is just south of south Pattaya rd. on 3rd rd. If I'm on 3rd rd. and a baht bus is coming, will it take me there? Thanks for any info.

Cheers.

Rather than go up to 3rd Road from LK Metro, you can just take the Baht Buses that run both directions on Soi Buakow. Get off at South Pattaya road and walk up to 3rd; coming back, walk down to Buakow and take the bus back to LK Metro.

• 1 month later...

I was just planning some routes for my trip, using the photoguide map and I've only just noticed that 2nd road is one way only :Think1:

I'm wondering now what's the easiest way to get back to 2nd road (Pattaya City Walk) from Soi 6?

Do I go down to Beach Road and take a bus down to WS, get off, then walk up to 2nd road and get another bus from there?

Or take a bus down beach Road and get off somewhere nearer Pattaya City Walk. Is there a connecting Soi from beach road to Pattaya City Walk?

I was just planning some routes for my trip, using the photoguide map and I've only just noticed that 2nd road is one way only :Think1:

I'm wondering now what's the easiest way to get back to 2nd road (Pattaya City Walk) from Soi 6?

Do I go down to Beach Road and take a bus down to WS, get off, then walk up to 2nd road and get another bus from there?

Or take a bus down beach Road and get off somewhere nearer Pattaya City Walk. Is there a connecting Soi from beach road to Pattaya City Walk?

Take the bus down Beach Road. Get out shortly before Walking Street (Royal Garden Plaza is the best landmark). As I remember, Pattaya City Walk does not go all the way to Beach road. It's between Soi's 13/2 and 13/3, so you could walk up either of them up to 2nd Road. You might also be able to get there if you cut through the Royal Garden Plaza--I think Pattaya City Walk is just south of Royal Garden on the 2nd Road side.

• 1 month later...

Does the bath buses go along Pattaya Klang (Cental Road) between Beach Road and Sukhumvit Road?

Does the bath buses go along Pattaya Thai (South Road) between Second Road and Sukhumvit Road?

If so is the cost 10 B?

• 2 weeks later...

It is B10. Pay 10B. Stop saying that you don't mind paying B20 for the Baht Bus.

Why would you want to pay twice the going rate to a driver who would try to drive off without giving you your change?

Look, try catching one of these buses to Jomtien from Pattaya at 1am, pissed and just trying to get home with every driver pulling up next to you, rolling down the window, and saying "How mut you gib me?"

Last year I was in Pattaya with a broken leg and on crutches. I got thrown off a Baht Bus on that road that goes east-west in Jomtien to Big C on the middle of the journey because the driver picked up new passengers who wanted to hire him. Other times standing on the side of the road getting asked "How Mut?" , swaying uneasy in the heat, just trying to get somewhere.

Give them B10 a ride. Even if you take the Baht Bus from Jomtien to North Pattaya Road...give the driver B10.

• 3 months later...

After shagging some Thai bird I came out of her bar, she opened the shutters for me.  I took a wrong turning then walked around for a bit and flagged down a baht bus.

Asked the guy which way was he was going, the back was full so I just jumped in the front beside the driver.

Got out on beach road and staggered to my accommodation.

Only ones I don't like are the baht bus mafia parked around the corner from Walking Street, who try to rip people by asking stupid prices.

Edited by Dr_Dave

got on one couple days ago with a pal, went along soi Baukhao north, then left on Klang, then we hoped he would go right at 2nd road towards Soi 6, he went straight on towards beach road, he stopped just past the lights, we asked him to carry on as we had not rung the bell, he said cannot so we got off, he then did a U turn back to the lights then left along 2nd road, what he was trying to do I guess was make us get off then get on another bus hence another 20baht towards 6 but we just walked instead.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$AFBADGE.jpg

Last week I got on a songthaew just before Walking Street intending to get off half way down 2nd road. It turned up and then left onto 2nd and the only 2 people other than me got off. A group of Chinese people almost immediately got on and then the driver asked me where I was going I said soi 13/1 and he asked me to pay 10B now then get a different bus! I was confused as I thought where the hell is he going to go but assumed the Chinese people wanted a specific (more profitable!) route. I paid him the bath and walked it

• 3 weeks later...

Useful info thanks for posting. The Thai call them song thieaw=(two axles)

I always thought it was  “Songthaews" meaning "Two rows" as in the seats? 

There are some that only employ words for the purpose of disguising their thoughts.

Voltaire

• 1 month later...

Corner of 2nd road and Pattaya Klang

There are not buses going from the corner of 2nd road and south pattaya road to buakaow?

Last time in Patts I got one from lk to ws on buakaow and i guessed there were also in the opposite direction!

There are not buses going from the corner of 2nd road and south pattaya road to buakaow?

Last time in Patts I got one from lk to ws on buakaow and i guessed there were also in the opposite direction!

Get off at Kiss food (opposite Mike Plaza), then walk about 5 minutes and you are there at LK Metro.

Or walk on Pattaya Klang all the way up to Buakaow, get on Buakaow, then take baht bus.

Personally I like my original recommendation better.  Less walk.

Get off at Kiss food (opposite Mike Plaza), then walk about 5 minutes and you are there at LK Metro.

Soi Diana?

Yes, but don't expect to get change. Some will give you change, but others will just drive off, leaving you standing there with your arm outstretched. Lol! :rolleyes: Just carry a few 10 baht coins with you to keep things simple & avoid any headaches.

I have always been given change,sometimes reluctantly,other times all in one baht coins,but never been ripped off by a driver (yet). Not saying it doesn't happen,but so far they have always been correct with me.

Build a man a fire,and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire,and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Soi Diana?

Yeah, but given "newbiness" of the question, I figure a landmark (ie. Kiss Food or Mike Plaza) is much easier to spot then a none existing sign that says "Soi Diana".

• 1 month later...

If you dont have an 10 baht just put a 20 baht note in and keep your hand inside and they will give you the change. And allways try to stay away from empty Song Teaws and the ones with a lady in it... 

And a route no one talked about is Sukhumvit. You can travel most of Sukhumvit on a Song Teaw. Might be abit of a wait but they go frequantly.

And on a side note why on earth would you go all the way to Klang to get from WS to LK? Either Second road to Diana/Kiss or Tai and hope they turn left onto Buakaow (Its the first left after Tuc Com) if they dont turn left onto Baukaow just ring the bell, walk back and get on one going up on Baukaow.

• 6 months later...

Thanks for the awesome info!

• 2 months later...

Ive only had 4 trips to pattaya so still learning the ropes , but how do u tell the difference if any from a scheduled baht bus to one that screams private taxi , when u hop in the back or is that just a con to get more cash ?

ty

Edited by lostinasia41

Ive only had 4 trips to pattaya so still learning the ropes , but how do u tell the difference if any from a scheduled baht bus to one that screams private taxi , when u hop in the back or is that just a con to get more cash ?

ty

you can make one become your own private taxi, whether its empty or not before you get on. if it diverges from the standard route, other passengers have the option to get off.

if you just jump in the back, you are effectively telling the driver that you want the normal 10 baht route.

safe bet, is to only flag down a bus with other people on it. chances are, its doings its normal route.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Can I add that you also need to be careful getting onto a Songthaew. Occassionally, one will stop and then drive off just as you are about to get on it. Also be mindful of motorbikes cutting you up near the pavement.