IGNORED

Bringing a laptop

lateralus

Traveling with a laptop is a big deal to me...for entertainment more than anything else. I need access to my slingbox set up for television viewing. Yes, I know....why travel just to watch TV.....I like being with me and the "electronic fireplace" as John Lennon described it. I'm new to the board. This post is but my 2nd so I won't warble on about how great the Slingbox is as I shall do some reading to see if it's covered elsewhere. Simply put, though, the device allows me watch my home television dish on my laptop anywhere in the world I have a high speed connection. http://www.slingmedia.com . (I hope it's ok to put that link....it ain't advertising....off to see what I can find using the search feature....).

There are things known and there are things unknown, and in between are the doors of perception.

-- Aldous Huxley

• 2 weeks later...

You can always rent a safety box with one of the companies who rent them out.

There is one in South Pattaya near to TukCom and there are others.

If you need to use your Laptop every day make sure you look it in your Suitcase and out of sight of the cleaning ladies.

I am not saying they would steal it but if nobody knows there is a Laptop then temptation is kept to a minimum and that cant hurt.

It is really UP TO YOU.

• 3 weeks later...

i just leave my lap top out all the time and have never had a problem.

i might just be lucky but i donot think so

It really doesn't cost that much to have a little netbook just for travel. I've have had one for last 3 years, delighted I got it. Don't keep anything uber personal on it, buy a lock, a snall one will fit in the standard room safe, and anyway as everyone is testifying there's very little chance of it being pinched in any case. I only take my 'big' laptop with me if I'm going on a long trip, and am staying at least 4*.

• 2 weeks later...

It really doesn't cost that much to have a little netbook just for travel. I've have had one for last 3 years, delighted I got it. Don't keep anything uber personal on it, buy a lock, a snall one will fit in the standard room safe, and anyway as everyone is testifying there's very little chance of it being pinched in any case. I only take my 'big' laptop with me if I'm going on a long trip, and am staying at least 4*.

doesn't matter if the hotel is 4 or even 5*, the cleaning ladies are all on the same wicket! (sweet fuck all). if ur worried about having ur laptop stolen keep it out of site.

Traveling with a laptop is a big deal to me...for entertainment more than anything else. I need access to my slingbox set up for television viewing. Yes, I know....why travel just to watch TV.....I like being with me and the "electronic fireplace" as John Lennon described it. I'm new to the board. This post is but my 2nd so I won't warble on about how great the Slingbox is as I shall do some reading to see if it's covered elsewhere. Simply put, though, the device allows me watch my home television dish on my laptop anywhere in the world I have a high speed connection. http://www.slingmedia.com . (I hope it's ok to put that link....it ain't advertising....off to see what I can find using the search feature....).

+1. My laptop is my best friend whilst travelling. I stay at the LK Renaissance and I have never had any problems with leaving my laptop out(or other valuables for that matter such as sunglasses, ipod etc.) whilst absent from my room. Even when I take girls back I don't lock my laptop up but I never take freelancers and I like to think of myself as a good judge of character so can usually suspect if she is shady before BFing her. So far so good

i think that if you have a laptop or netbook that you take on the road with you then you should install prey

http://preyproject.com/

once installed, it runs silently in the background. if the laptop is stolen you can signal it from another computer or with an sms message, if it goes online (and you can set it to automatically connect at intervals) then you can record the ip address where it's connecting, a google map location, take screenshots, enable the webcam and take pictures of anyone in front of it, erase passwords, and even password-lock the system. unless the thief is fairly technologically proficient - they would have no idea that any of this is going on.

it's open source (free) software.

I bring mine and haven't had a problem. I don't leave it out on the desk. In fact, I don't generally let my guests or the staff know that I have one with me.

And yes, I make sure the cleaning crew are properly gatuitized, but that's for reasons beyond laptop security.

Edited by jasonbalmer

I bring mine and haven't had a problem. I don't leave it out on the desk. In fact, I don't generally let my guests or the staff know that I have one with me.

And yes, I make sure the cleaning crew are properly gatuitized, but that's for reasons beyond laptop security.

Gatuitized? Didn't know what you meant so I looked it up and all I found was cauterized - don't think you mean that either.

Then I figured that you give them a gratuity.

DrDepravity is currently servicing this region:

i bring my laptop for many years now stayed at Secrets in pattaya never a problem leave it open and wide in the room, same as when i stay at baan tip top in Phuket. when in bangkok i lock it in my suitcase , the only reason is that there is no wifi in the hotel and i only stay 1 or 2 nights in bkk

having a big dick doesn't mean you have a big wallet

• 2 weeks later...

As someone suggested, lock it in your luggage as the cleaners will not leave your room carrying that.

• 2 months later...

I always travel with laptop. I stayed in few patts hotels and always leave my laptop in the room and never have problem. Also i traveled in Cambodia and my laptop still with me.. :D