Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | The Night Wish Group | Thailand 24/7 Forum | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News | | Pattaya Investigations | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Mobile phone unlock or purchase new?

thetrader

I have a HTC Desire that I really don't want to bring with me incase it gets stolen so I intend to take my old phone a Sony Ericson K800i with me.

this phone is locked to the 3 network in the U.K so I would need to get it unlocked when I arrive in Pattaya for it to take a thai sim.

My question is, where and how much to unlock the phone - or is it cheaper just to buy a phone there rather than get this one unlocked?

I did read somewhere you can get a basic nokia for about 800 baht, not sure if its true?

Can't remember how much it was when I got mine unlocked but it wasn't very much at all and certainly cheaper than buying a new handset.

I'm not sure about service in the UK but I just called AT&T here in the US and got the unlock code for an old Samsung phone. I'm all set now and I can throw away the piece of shit Nokia I bought last year. I paid 900 for it with a SIM and minutes but it was so bad many of the TG's laughed at it and call me Cheap Charlie. :GoldenSmile1:

I have a HTC desire that I really don't want to bring with me incase it gets stolen so I intend to take my old phone a Sony Ericson K800i with me.

this phone is locked to the 3 network in the U.K so I would need to get it unlocked when I arrive in Pattaya for it to take a thai sim.

My question is, where and how much to unlock the phone - or is it cheaper just to buy a phone there rather than get this one unlocked?

I did read somewhere you can get a basic nokia for about 800 baht, not sure if its true?

any phone shops will unlock your phone for 300bt

i had my unlocked on soi buakhao 2 doors up from 18 coins hotel.

Dayo...

I don't know if you can unlock phones on the 3network to work with other providers sims as they may use a different bandwidth.

For instance if you look on EBay you will find lots of unlocked handsets from Orange, vodafone etc that say unlocked to all networks except 3. So I assume it's the same the other way round?

Edited by DavidL

i paid 300 baht in tuckom to get a nokia e71 unlocked last february.. :GoldenSmile1:

shop around in tuckom as some "shops" were looking for 800 baht as tyhe phone was a fairly new model !!!!! :Circle_Sharks:

Ok, thanks guys. Looks like unlocking is the way forward for me then and at least I will know how to use my old phone. Whenever I get a new one it takes a week or more to get used to it.

You will need to buy a SIM and credit as well. I usually just get the cheapest SIm and it goes OK 99 or 199 baht. 50 baht credit from the 7/11

Yes, thanks Cyclone. Not worried about the sim, I heard they were as cheap as chips anyway and credit seems cheap as well. My service provider in U.K said it would be £2 + a min to call back home with my U.K phone. I won't bother at that price, thats what the internet is for!

I bought a basic Nokia phone in mid May as I arrived for my first trip. I think it was 900b plus a sim card good for a year 100b ??? and 300 b "time" It ran out yesterday , end of first week on 2nd trip. No problems at all.

Was in a bar in Jomtien(when time expired) gave phone to a BG I knew for the week and 300b. She's back from 7/11 in 5 minutes, credit on phone and even a reciept too.

hone.

So for +/- 1300b basic phone good for a months trip, more sms than calls so YMWV. I did not think that I would really need/use a phone but every BG I have met in 5 weeks time had a phone. Plus side get some numbers and you can just call a BG to come to loom( after you get to know them) Feeling like a shag, sms a BG simple , sms to BG, "you come to my room ? LT ? " presto a whole new meaning to "take out"

If she is working you will still have to pay her BF plus whatever you and her agree for the ST or LT.

PS I love Thailand , "what a country"

Mark

Improving one Issan girls cash flow , one cash grant at a time !

I always take with me a phone or 2 that has been reported lost or stolen in the uk,(it has been blocked and is unable to be used here)

i buy a thai sim and credit and it works fine without being unlocked..something to do with the records of the imei number being blocked covers europe,

but when the phone is taken outside europe no records are held..

ps. the phones i take are ones i have recieved to cover payment of the taxi fare when they had no money..they have not been stolen..

• 6 months later...

I just bought a cheap phone for my Son to use while he is out here. 599 Baht at Tukcom.

• 1 month later...

HTC's are different from other phones and it takes longer to unlock them as the process is different. I asked in a few shops in London how much it would be to unlock my HTC Wildfire, and the average price was £35. I have seen an online company that send you a code to do it yourself for £20. I know HTC are in Thailand so I would expect it to be cheaper but has anyone got any knowledge of this?

I am with T-Mobile and they can request an unlock code from HTC which takes 14 - 28 days to arrive and the cost is £15

• 1 month later...

Back in April I bought a new phone from an Orange shop.

So before I fly to Thailand at the end of July I need to get in unlocked so that when I arrive in Thailand my thai sim will work when I insert it into the phone

So earlier this week I phoned Orange and asked them to unlock the phone and explained why I needed it unlocking. They told me that I had to wait 3 months after I had purchased it before the would unlock it and it will cost £20

Earlier today I had a walk around my local market and visited 3 shops that offered to unlock mobile phones. I expected them to be cheaper than Orange but I was wrong. The prices I was quoted were £30 - £38 and £45

I might look on the internet to see if I can do it cheaper otherwise I will get orange to do it next month

Yes, thanks Cyclone. Not worried about the sim, I heard they were as cheap as chips anyway and credit seems cheap as well. My service provider in U.K said it would be £2 + a min to call back home with my U.K phone. I won't bother at that price, thats what the internet is for!

If you buy a INTERSIM sim card on the True Move network you can call UK for 1baht a minute most 7/11s have them cost 99baht when i last bought one

i have 2 sims use the INTERSIM sim card for calling home also with true move its 1baht to another thai mobile if i remember rightly

tukcom will charge you 200baht for the card so best go 7/11

Edited by pattayaguru

I took a few phones with me and went to Toucom...My little Samsung cost me 200Baht to unlock plus I got a 100Baht Sim..Took about 20 minutes...There were so many different phone shops that I'm sure you can negotiate a good price.

There are some that only employ words for the purpose of disguising their thoughts.

Voltaire

I unlocked my iPhone 3gs outside TuCom for 300 baht.

My father unlocked his iPhone 3gs outside TuCom at another store for 800 baht.

Chek around to see their prices!

CXNID=1000015.12NXC.gif

• 5 weeks later...

I don't know if it's still the case, but O2 phones didn't used to be locked (Orange and T-Mobile, on the other hand, were). Anybody tried an O2 iPhone with a Thai sim?