IGNORED

People Posting Photo's Without Resizing Them

Highlander

Sorry Guys,

Just having a vent.

I am still getting annoyed with people not resizing their photographs or only slightly reducing the resolution which causes some BM's PC's to freeze.

There has even been a tutorial pinned on the trip report section to show people how to do it and also I read a lot of replies to the oversized topic asking the OP to reduce them

Another down side to putting a full sized photo on the posting is that people can download your photo at full resolution as if it were their own photo.

They only need to be about the 120Kb - 250kb size to be a good size and then you can put loads of pictures up.

Thanks guys, vent over

Edited by Highlander

Even worse...guys that 'quote' a shed-load of pictures just to add 'Thanks' at the end.

Yeah mate I forgot about that, why quote using the pictures anyway, just reply

Another good point mate.

People don't know and it's not obvious.

Software should handle both options automatically - resize photos - partial quote sin photos...

People don't know and it's not obvious.

We are facing two cases :

- People that just don't know about resizing.

- People that just don't care cause they have a powerfull connexion.

Both could be fixed if it was just not possible to load an attached file over 100k (wich is enough...)

Don't know if this restriction is possible on a board.

i don't know if it is possible either, but a good example is Flickr.

Can chose to upload small, bigger, original.

Then they display perfectly sized thumbnails, and can click to get big, bigger, original...

The posting of massive photos is an ongoing problem, and it is only going to get worse as the definition of digital cameras gets higher and higher. I'm not on a great net connection here, so I often give up on threads with huge pictures. Life is too short... You can't really blame the OPs - I did just the same when I was a newbie on here and didn't know how to resize pics. The only real solution to this that I can see is if the board software automatically resizes pictures to 800 x 600, or simply rejects images that are greater than a certain size. I guess that this is an Invision issue? Maybe a future update will sort this out? I certainly hope so.

H.

"I got 99 problems but a bitch ain't one." Jay Z, 99 Problems, The Black Album

If you want people to learn how to resize photos, make one of the requirements for "Advanced Membership" be putting up a post with a sized photo. It will give them something to do besides asking "When am I going to be upgraded?"

If you want people to learn how to resize photos, make one of the requirements for "Advanced Membership" be putting up a post with a sized photo. It will give them something to do besides asking "When am I going to be upgraded?"

haha awesome idea

I'm not a techie at all with pc's,can't even cut and paste,I tried some of the re-sizing advice given on here and it all went tit's up.

Then I found if I right click on my photo I can open with "microsoft office picture manager" and resize,crop or just about anything.Piece of piss even for a thicko like me.

It's so easy I can't understand how I didn't know about it before,is it on every pc ?

In fairness I was one of those who had uploaded large photos pureley because I wasnt sure how to resize photos however one of the board members posted on one of my reports how to use faststone photo resizer and suddeny the world was my oyster. Im guessing its the same for the majority of people who upload large photos because they dont know any different. Perhaps someone could put a link on this thread to how to use faststone. I would but unfortunateley I dont even know how to link to my original post where the member put the link for me.

Just a thought.

Big C

In fairness I was one of those who had uploaded large photos pureley because I wasnt sure how to resize photos however one of the board members posted on one of my reports how to use faststone photo resizer and suddeny the world was my oyster. Im guessing its the same for the majority of people who upload large photos because they dont know any different. Perhaps someone could put a link on this thread to how to use faststone. I would but unfortunateley I dont even know how to link to my original post where the member put the link for me.

Just a thought.

Big C

Is this the App you were talking about? http://www.faststone.org/

I'm on the mac side so all my pix are in iPhoto, very easy in there to export resized photos

Edited by furryman

I downloaded a photo re-sizer called Resize-o-matic. Right click on your photo and it gives you a resize option in the pop-up Windows menu. The re-sized photo appears in the same folder alongside the original or you have the option to replce it. It's basic, but couldn't be any easier...no program to run. I'm sure there are easier options for batch processing a large number of photos, but for 1 (or a few) photos it's worth a look.

I'm on the mac side so all my pix are in iPhoto, very easy in there to export resized photos

lOOKS LIKE THE ONE

Looks like the one I use and if I can use it then it must be simple.

Big C

• 3 weeks later...

Just a thought.

Big C

Hi Big,

Have found a tutorial and it is in my signature below buddy.

I'm guilty of this offense. So are many others. On occasion, I just don't have the time on hand to resize my photo's. However, I do try when time allows.

Inquiring mind(s) Can the forum software not be set to automatically re-size such photo's, or alternatively refuse them?

Sadly not an option provided by the software.

Have you read the forum rules?

Please resize your photos!

Sitting here now in this bar for hours,

whilst strange men rent strange flowers,

I'll be picking up your petals in another few hours...