IGNORED

New Super Bug out there

Tansak KTV

Here we go folks... keep getting new superbugs out there... India / Pakistan / Bangladesh but the scientists are rechecking all of SEA , Canada, USA and others...

My mate just cancelled his holiday as he researches these areas and this is a big deal spreading out of control. Reacts to only two meds right now, a real super bug he reports to me and it is jumping over to animals already.

SuperBug

Google NDM-1 for more info...

As of now.. no cases reported in Thai but with the tourism how long do you think taht will last?

Trying to Stay Out Of Trouble, But It Isn't Working

Thanks for posting. Here is some more info on NDM-1.

Experts have warned that a new type of drug-resistant superbug is emerging in UK hospitals.

Q: What is NDM-1?

New Delhi metallo-ß-lactamase-1, or NDM-1 for short, is a gene carried by bacteria that makes the strain resistant to carbapenem antibiotics. This is concerning because these antibiotics are some of the most powerful ones, used on hard-to-treat infections that evade other drugs.

Q: Why is this a problem?

NDM-1 (or more precisely the DNA code for this enzyme) can easily now jump from one strain of bacteria to another.

Experts are worried that it may end up in another bacterium which is already resistant to many other antibiotics.

Ultimately, it could produce dangerous infections that would spread rapidly from person to person and be almost impossible to treat.

Q: Can it be treated?

Other treatment options are available to fight these infections but they present major challenges for clinicians and will often demand combinations of antibiotics are used.

Scientists have identified some strains that have been resistant to all known antibiotics.

Q: How would I know if I had it?

So far, many of the UK cases have been in patients who have recently travelled to India or Pakistan for medical treatment and who caught the infection while there.

But, some of these patients have passed the infection on to others in UK hospitals upon their return.

The infections have ranged from mild to severe - and some have been fatal.

Two types of bacteria have been host to NDM-1: the gut bacterium E.coli and another that can invade the lungs called Klebsiella pneumonia. Both can lead to urinary tract infections and blood poisoning.

Infections such as these would usually be spotted in patients by medics.

Q: Can its spread be stopped?

Experts say the way to stop it is through surveillance, rapid identification and isolation of any hospital patients who are infected.

Normal infection control measures, such as disinfecting hospital equipment and doctors and nurses washing their hands with antibacterial soap, can stop the spread.

NDM-1 is already widespread in the Indian subcontinent and has also reached countries including the US, Canada, Australia and the Netherlands. Scientists believe it has the potential to become a global public health issue.

And they say we now need new drugs to treat resistant strains.

Q: Are there new antibiotics that could help?

While there is a great deal of investment in research to find new antibiotics, experts say that most of the drugs currently in the pipeline will be useless for treating NDM-1 positive patients.

This is because the bacteria that carry NDM-1 are Gram-negative, while most of the work is being carried out for Gram-positive bugs like MRSA.

The Health Protection Agency says "multi-resistant Gram-negative bacteria pose a notable public health risk and it remains important that the pharmaceutical industry continues to work towards developing new treatment options".

The Department of Health said it was investigating ways of encouraging the development of new antibiotics with European colleagues.

Q: What will happen now?

The government said HPA would continue to monitor the situation and would regularly review the data and the need for further action.

In the meantime, hospitals should ensure they continue to provide good infection control to prevent any spread, and consider whether patients have recently been treated abroad and send samples to HPA for testing if necessary.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-10930031

Here we go folks... keep getting new superbugs out there... India / Pakistan / Bangladesh but the scientists are rechecking all of SEA , Canada, USA and others...

My mate just cancelled his holiday as he researches these areas and this is a big deal spreading out of control. Reacts to only two meds right now, a real super bug he reports to me and it is jumping over to animals already.

SuperBug

Google NDM-1 for more info...

As of now.. no cases reported in Thai but with the tourism how long do you think taht will last?

At last - I was wondering where this years health scare had got to…..

Swine Flu?

Bird Flu?

SARS?

MRSA?

CJD?

Keep calm

and

carry on.

Should probably be merged with the thread about bedsheet changing intervals on Soi 6.

I caught a superbug at the Baccara Bar on Walking Street the other day - I was fucked in the morning when I finally got rid of it. :hello09:

Farang = Walking ATM. TG's push the right buttons and money comes out. PIN = BBBJ

Keep calm and carry on.

Nothing slows me down.. just find it funny that I'm probably going to die from eating a piece of chicken or such and not from HIV.

But I find it funnier that my mate gets his holiday canceled as he gotta research this bug while I get to keep party on...

I caught a superbug at the Baccara Bar on Walking Street the other day - I was fucked in the morning when I finally got rid of it. :hello09:

What number? Cuz if it was my Gik she's going to be tied up (literally) from this Sunday forward... :Raspberry6:

Trying to Stay Out Of Trouble, But It Isn't Working

I have to say I do not take any news outlet serious anymore. I think half the articles they print are garbage.

Usually starts with, experts warn or say. When the reality of it is they have no clue. They are a business who needs people to use their product.

Look at the swine flue and the panic that one caused. Yet everyone seemed oblivious that the the garden variety flu killed more that year.

There is always going to be some new super bug, illness, tragedy, or disaster.

I do not have time to worry about such, life is too precious to worry about it.

I am a fat kid in a sweet shop, I just cannot choose and want it all.

What number? Cuz if it was my Gik she's going to be tied up (literally) from this Sunday forward... :Raspberry6:

nah wasnt Gik. Was a lot of good lookers

Farang = Walking ATM. TG's push the right buttons and money comes out. PIN = BBBJ

I have to say I do not take any news outlet serious anymore. I think half the articles they print are garbage.

Usually starts with, experts warn or say. When the reality of it is they have no clue. They are a business who needs people to use their product.

Look at the swine flue and the panic that one caused. Yet everyone seemed oblivious that the the garden variety flu killed more that year.

There is always going to be some new super bug, illness, tragedy, or disaster.

I do not have time to worry about such, life is too precious to worry about it.

You should be concerned. Sooner or later one of these things will take hold and a lot of people will die. It is the medical profession that post these warnings not the pharmaceutical industry. The aim is to limit the chance that a particular outbreak takes hold.

For anyone who wonders why some people say do not take medicine unless you have to this is the reason why. Over-use or misuse of antibiotics builds bacterial resistance to the drug.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

You should be concerned. Sooner or later one of these things will take hold and a lot of people will die. It is the medical profession that post these warnings not the pharmaceutical industry. The aim is to limit the chance that a particular outbreak takes hold.

For anyone who wonders why some people say do not take medicine unless you have to this is the reason why. Over-use or misuse of antibiotics builds bacterial resistance to the drug.

As I respect an opinion I have to say that I do not live my life by it.

Sitting in the desert I was told that we could die from a number of things. The most non threatening was a virus (cant see it so why worry)?

A little background on myself and maybe it will shed some light. As a child, according to my mum, I almost died from whooping cough?

At the age of 14 and again at 23 I was hospitalized with strep throat. At 14 it was a precaution, but I was in there for a week. At 23 I was in for another week and almost killed me. I guess I just have perspective on things that can kill you. I have never heard of any news outlet warning of the dangers of strep throat, but If I choose to ignore it with myself, I am sure it will kill me.

Now I am not going to do anything stupid. I just think that the majority of these warnings are for people who do not think and act responsibly. The article clearly states that people were coming back from third world countries after surgery.

If your time is up, it is up. Control is an illusion that people put into each others mind. Watch any TV commercial that says spraying you phone with lysol with protect you. Just like saying driving the latest super car will keep you safe from harms way.

Our bodies were meant to absorb small traces of diseases and infections so it can protect itself.

I consider myself a somewhat intelligent individual. With that in mind I educate myself, but do not let it rule my life.

If that were the case I would never even take the chance of indulging with any girls from Thailand.

I am a fat kid in a sweet shop, I just cannot choose and want it all.