IGNORED

Had a Cataract Operation here?

Jumbo

Where did you have your Cataract operation? How much was it and who did it for you ?

"If you think you can do it, or you think you can't.....You are right!"

Henry Ford.

I'd be interested in knowing the details as well as on a recent visit to PIH one of the doctors said I was starting to develop a cataract

• 10 years later...

Has anyone got details on cost and outcomes for cataract surgery in Thailand? In Australia it will cost me at least $4,000 per eye as I don't have private insurance. I have been on a list for 15 months just to get a consultation which is finally happening next week but the actual operation could be months away.

Had mine done ten years ago at Bumrungrad in Bangkok.  THB 70,000 per eye, about AUD 3,150 at today's R/E.  Perfect results.

Bumrungrad was not the cheapest; I got there after

a)  web-based research on when and where the surgeons  had qualified, languages spoken and if/when they had practiced in the UK/US/Aus or Europe.  

b) checking out the contenders in person.  That eliminated one hospital that had broken equipment and another where the surgeon had a tremble and kept dropping his eye-poker.

I ended up, completely satisfied, with https://www.bumrungrad.com/doctors/Chate-Kietrsunthorn

In each case, a diagnostic visit, surgery itself (about 50 minutes) and a postop check-up.  

I payed 50K baht per eye 3 years ago at the Pattaya Eye Center (mono focal lense on one eye). A completely stressless operation without any problem.

The Pattaya Eye Center is located behind the Big-C on Pattaya Klang

Had mine done at Khonkaen Ram Hospital bout 79,000bt both eyes 2013, interocular, good results, 20/20 and only wear reading glasses. At the time had a lump over my left eye and cataract in the right eye. Doctor did biopsy on Friday and said he could do cataract surgery on Monday, done deal. After a couple of biopsy and a bit of time past on a Thursday emailed  the doctor and asked to do left eye so wouldn't need to wear glasses on Friday he replied the earliest he could do it was Monday, another done deal say what you want about the health care system here, but it beats the USA by a bunch. 

Bangkok Pattaya Hospital about 6 years ago. 130K for monofocal. At the time I researched it patient satisfaction was higher with it than multi, it was cheaper, and I am ok with wearing reading glasses. I did not have any serious problems but they measure your vision in order to give you the right lens. The nurses fumbled around with that and one side was off a bit.

I think the doctor's name was Bundit. I don't recommend him as while the surgery went okay later I went back to ask about some possibly related issues and was not at all confident the way he handled the inquiry.

It's convenient to have it done locally of course, but if I could go back in time, I would go to one of the Bangkok Hospitals, probably Rutnin. Probably cheaper as well.

3 hours ago, Hot&Spicy said:

I payed 50K baht per eye 3 years ago at the Pattaya Eye Center (mono focal lense on one eye). A completely stressless operation without any problem.

The Pattaya Eye Center is located behind the Big-C on Pattaya Klang

Same here; had the IOL procedure done on both eyes shortly after the center opened around 2007/2008. Can't recall exact price but with exchange around 65THB to the £ and a small discount far cheaper than done on a private hospital in the West. As Hot&Spicy said; procedure completely stressless and I'm very happy with the result http://www.pattayaeyecenter.com/