Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Grottino Residence

leadpencil

Grottino Residence advertises on the Bangkok Addicts site and I thought I would check them out.

Generally I am not one to change hotels much, I find something I like and stick with it. I had been staying at Stable Lodge on Soi 8 for the last however many trips to Bangkok. The main reason for staying there was location and the pool although when I thought about it, I can count the number of times I actually used the pool on one hand. The rooms there are more than a bit shabby now and there seems to be no sign of a renovation. They also invoked the 20 years old minimum rule on my guests last time round so I thought that this trip I would try something new.

I PM'd the marketing manager of Grottino through the BKK Addicts site and he was extremely quick to reply and answered all my questions. I made the booking and he threw in a food voucher for being a BKK member which was a nice touch.

The hotel is in a great location, between Soi 17 and 19 and right behind Robinson. It is literally ten minutes walk to Cowboy and 15 minutes (if you avoid all the street vendors) to Nana. You have got the BTS five minutes away and the Tops food hall below Robinson within five minutes.

From the outside the hotel looks a bit strange as the first time you enter through the restaurant and the outside is made to look like a Cave I guess (in someones imagination). After that you are given a key card which lets you access a private side door. That is great as you just come and go as you please.

If you want all singing all dancing bellhops etc then this place isn't for you. If you want privacy and more of an apartment block feel then it is.

The rooms are big with very comfy beds, a desk, sofa etc. The tv has a limited number of channels but I do not come to Thailand to watch tv so that is not an issue. There are nice touches such as an umbrella (useful at the moment) and underbed lighting.

The bathroom is a little pokey with the exception of the shower which can take three (tried and tested!). Another nice touch is full sized bath sheets.

The rooms at the front have a bit of a view into the street below (quiet) but the ones at the back look straight out on to the Robinsons multistorey carpark so you have to keep the shutter closed if you want any privacy.

The wifi connection does not work but they give you a cable to connect with. The connection was patchy in the first room in which I stayed however it was fine in the second.

All in all a good quality little no frills hotel. I have since stayed there again.

Hope this is useful.

ทำให้ไม่ชอบสงคราม

It would be more useful if you told us what it cost. :)

Yes, good point....

It was 1,750 baht + vat per night so middle of the road in terms of pricing.

ทำให้ไม่ชอบสงคราม

IMHO it's a great option - especially for folks that want to do both Nana and Cowboy. Plus it is right by the BTS, and not too far from the MRT. The rooms are good, the lighting around the bottom of the bed rocks, and the large towels are a big plus - then throw in the side access (no walk of shame). So there are plenty of positives. The only negative I can think of is that many times there is construction going on somewhere in the area and then noise can be an issue during the day.

All this being said, because of the number of positives they tend to have a decent occupancy rate and as such I think there are better values in the area if baht is a major factor in which hotel you will stay.

• 2 weeks later...

IMHO it's a great option - especially for folks that want to do both Nana and Cowboy. Plus it is right by the BTS, and not too far from the MRT. The rooms are good, the lighting around the bottom of the bed rocks, and the large towels are a big plus - then throw in the side access (no walk of shame). So there are plenty of positives. The only negative I can think of is that many times there is construction going on somewhere in the area and then noise can be an issue during the day.

All this being said, because of the number of positives they tend to have a decent occupancy rate and as such I think there are better values in the area if baht is a major factor in which hotel you will stay.

I have now stayed there three times in the last month. Luckily no issues with construction noise during my stay. Had a few problems with the cabled internet connection in the last room but apart from that no other issues.

ทำให้ไม่ชอบสงคราม

• 7 months later...

Now with a few photos attached.

Access from Soi 19.

IMG_0284.jpg

The front of the hotel.

IMG_0283.jpg

The bedroom.

IMG_0278.jpg

IMG_0279.jpg

IMG_0280.jpg

The bathroom.

IMG_0281.jpg

IMG_0282.jpg

ทำให้ไม่ชอบสงคราม

Thanks mate, your review brings back some sweet memories - I stayed here for a week shortly after it opened in 2005.

I had a room that overlooked the car park - didn't get much sunlight but really helped for a good nights sleep. You are rightthat the main thing it has going for it is the location and a very reasonable price for BKK.