IGNORED

12 Month Extension of Stay (Retirement) in 5 Minutes.

Edge

I couldn't believe it either.

I hit Immigration at Jomtien at about 2pm on Monday, after they'd been closed the previous Friday.

It had to be the worst time to pick I thought and I almost didn't bother going.

Sure enough, as I parked the bike I could see the place was heaving fit to burst.

I thought I might as well take a number and clear off, on the assumption that they wouldn't get to me and it would put me up the queue next morning (done it before).

I squeezed my way in the doors and there was barely even standing room.

I got as far as the counter with the forms on and asked a surly girly for a ticket for Counter 6.

She started waving at my folder and wanted to check I'd already filled the form and got my copies done.

I wasn't even planning to stay so I said "No no, done already, everything correct".

Somehow I must have been convincing for a change as she just gave me a dirty look, stabbed the dispenser and thrust a ticket in my outstretched hand.

I took one step away from the counter, looked at my ticket, looked at the display sign and looked back at surly girl in disbelief.

"Correct?" I asked.

"Counter 6 (stupid falang - unsaid)" she replied.

Fcuk me I was next!

As I looked across to Counter 6 a farang stood up and the sign changed to my number.

I could feel people's eyes burning into me as I pushed my way through the sweaty crowds. I thought it better not to laugh out loud, but maybe some could hear me anyway.

I sat down and started unloading my folder on the desk and the very efficient Officer was stampity stamping and red ringing everything as though we were in a race.

Just as I'd intended, every copy of everything was exactly correct and I'd stapled them together by category i.e. Passport Copies, Bank Letter and Statement/Book Copies and Consulate Confirmation of Pension Letter plus Pension Statement. We worked like a well drilled team until he held out his hand and suddenly I couldn't think wtf else he wanted. For the first time, he actually had to speak to me, "1900 baht!". Fcuk I'd forgotten to put the 2k down but it was in my shirt top pocket and I had it in front of him before he'd finished saying it.

My Passport and papers were already being walked to the lady behind as I stood up and by the time I sat down again she was already tearing through them.

Done in a trice and my little purple plastic card was in my hand and I was dismissed within a total of 5 minutes from entering the building. I couldn't believe it and stood outside stupidly smiling to myself.

I had to return the following afternoon, today, when I could pick up my Passport with it's nice bright new stamp.

This afternoon was much quieter down there, but anyway it was only a matter of walking straight through to the lady at the back and she saw me coming and had my Passport in one hand as she held out the other for my purple ticket.

Easy peasy or what?

OK so this was my third time, so I ought to have got it right, but it was still a great relief to find I had.

It's well worth the effort of getting everything prepared properly before you walk in the door so that there aren't pieces of paper flying about and stressful dashes to the photocopy shop for forgotten items. There's no Q that if everything is done correctly these people can whistle through it.

I'd picked up the Extension of Stay Form the previous week and completed it in peace and quiet at home.

The Honourary Consulate was open on Friday morning so I'd dropped my Pension Statement off with Howard Miller (Super Star) for collection on Monday.

I was at Kasikorn when it opened at 11am Monday to get my Bank Letter. I needed this to go with my Pension as the exchange rate has taken that below the minimum. The required balance had been in there over 3 months as required.

Perhaps just as important as all that was that I applied 2 weeks before my existing Extension of Stay expired, so that if anything had gone wrong, there wasn't any great stress about it. It's still a nice relief to have it done though and the 12 months is added at the end of the current one so you don't lose anything. I think you can apply up to 3 months in advance.

Cost:-

12 Month Extension of Stay - 1900

Consulate Letter re UK pension - 2408

Bank Letter from Kasikorn - 100

Total Cost - 4408 baht

Or you can pay an Agent errrrr How Much?

On top of that you should consider a Multi Re-Entry Permit for 3800 if you plan to go in and out a lot.

The Single Re-Entry was reduced from 1900 to 1000 so that's confused me as I'm not sure I'll go out more than 4 times.

If you do go out and forget the Re-Entry your Extension of Stay and the Visa it's based on are history and you then have to start from scratch.

All in all I was impressed with Pattaya Immigration - and also with myself.

We both got it right first time - this time. :GoldenSmile1:

I'm staying on a students visa as i'm under 50 , all the visa paperwork is done already by someone from school who

knows what the immigration service want to see .

But always fun to see those faces of all the people that are waiting there for an hour or more and you just walk in

and are called to the counter straight away and get a visa extension in 5 or 10 minutes .

For some reason I thought a retirement visa would be for more than a year.

I had thoughts of making the bank deposit and then spending a good sum on a condo or house on 30 year lease land.

I guess that's out of the picture without more money.

Does anyone know if there is a property owner's visa? Or something like that?

Happy day for the OP and his short line!

For some reason I thought a retirement visa would be for more than a year.

I had thoughts of making the bank deposit and then spending a good sum on a condo or house on 30 year lease land.

I guess that's out of the picture without more money.

Does anyone know if there is a property owner's visa? Or something like that?

Happy day for the OP and his short line!

There are differences between a Retirement Visa, which you can only get in your home country and an Extension of Stay on the grounds of Retirement, which you can only get here, but they are both for only one year.

There isn't anything longer unless you bring in 40 Mn Baht, though you can get 15 months out of a One Year Multi-Entry by timing your border runs correctly.

Of course, with either of the Retirement options you don't have to do border runs, just 5 minute address reports every 90 days.

To answer your Q, there is nothing that guarantees your right to be in Thailand just because you "own" property.

Most people accept that if something goes wrong you may have to kiss everything goodbye.

Distressed farang sales can provide some excellent bargains for those in the right place at the right time. :GoldenSmile1:

Just out of curiosity. Do they see you as one year old when you are born. I have been under the impression this is the way thais think. Or are you one after 12 months?

Just out of curiosity. Do they see you as one year old when you are born. I have been under the impression this is the way thais think. Or are you one after 12 months?

You have to be at least 50 to qualify as Retired.

Of course, when you wake up on yout 50th birthday you will be in your 51st year and in Asia they tend to speak of the year of your life you are currently in.

Farang desperately arguing to take a year off that only makes them laugh and us look sad.

There is no confusion in this topic because they use your Passport info'.

The confusion is over there with the BG who says she's 18.

In both cases it is the Date of Birth which is really relevant. :GoldenSmile1:

There are differences between a Retirement Visa, which you can only get in your home country and an Extension of Stay on the grounds of Retirement, which you can only get here, but they are both for only one year.

There isn't anything longer unless you bring in 40 Mn Baht, though you can get 15 months out of a One Year Multi-Entry by timing your border runs correctly.

Of course, with either of the Retirement options you don't have to do border runs, just 5 minute address reports every 90 days.

To answer your Q, there is nothing that guarantees your right to be in Thailand just because you "own" property.

Most people accept that if something goes wrong you may have to kiss everything goodbye.

Distressed farang sales can provide some excellent bargains for those in the right place at the right time. :GoldenSmile1:

Thanks. That clears up a lot.

Perhaps an education visa is the way to go for awhile.

Any clues on where the right place at the right time is, would be most appreciated :)

Thanks. That clears up a lot.

Perhaps an education visa is the way to go for awhile.

Any clues on where the right place at the right time is, would be most appreciated :)

I don't know anything about Ed visas except the gossip you hear about Immigration tightening up on the dodgy ones. I think the advice now is not to go that Ed route unless you actually intend to attend and pass the course - but who knows lol.

For the right place at the right time, you have to try to get into the mindset of Distressed Farang. Sometimes his ticket out is already booked and the price will tumble as departure draws nigh.

He may advertise here or Thaivisa Classifieds. He may run round putting cards up at Friendship, Carrefour, Tops and anywhere else they have boards. They may also put boards up outside the house (like me lol - but I'm not too distressed).

Don't forget the Estate Agents though. They've got shops full of details but no farang customers, so when you walk in the door as a potential buyer, you'll be very welcome.

Many sellers are confused about EAs, thinking that they are the customer and they are not, you are. The seller will agree an asking price but open their heart to the Agent thinking they will get the best price to max the commission.

They will not. They just want turnover and will happily tell you Distressed Farang's bottom price to get a quick, or any, sale.

Spect you knew all that. :GoldenSmile1:

Same swift treatment (14 mins entry to exit) at Immigration HQ in Bangkok - the key is to have the form and supporting docs in good order. You can save yourself one trip by downloading the forms here:

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/base.php?page=download

Dead right on estate agents: No sale = No commission; have your cash ready and threaten (nicely) to walk unless you get the bottom price.

I don't know anything about Ed visas except the gossip you hear about Immigration tightening up on the dodgy ones. I think the advice now is not to go that Ed route unless you actually intend to attend and pass the course - but who knows lol.

For the right place at the right time, you have to try to get into the mindset of Distressed Farang. Sometimes his ticket out is already booked and the price will tumble as departure draws nigh.

He may advertise here or Thaivisa Classifieds. He may run round putting cards up at Friendship, Carrefour, Tops and anywhere else they have boards. They may also put boards up outside the house (like me lol - but I'm not too distressed).

Don't forget the Estate Agents though. They've got shops full of details but no farang customers, so when you walk in the door as a potential buyer, you'll be very welcome.

Many sellers are confused about EAs, thinking that they are the customer and they are not, you are. The seller will agree an asking price but open their heart to the Agent thinking they will get the best price to max the commission.

They will not. They just want turnover and will happily tell you Distressed Farang's bottom price to get a quick, or any, sale.

Spect you knew all that. :GoldenSmile1:

The Ed route for me would include the lessons; can't hurt to know what people are saying.

I have little experience buying real estate, but have the same amount of experience is distress sales. My ex and her BF decided that the equity in my house would look good in their favorite bar. I had about 3 months to sell. Still managed a small profit that paid the divorce attorneys.

I have no experience in Thai real estate, 'cause it's on the other side of the world and real estate agencies didn't make the list of places I wanted to see on my two trips. I'm just now starting the investigation into the buying (and keeping) process. On the last trip I met a man from Oz who advised me that he'd made a purchase in Chiang Rai for $28,000 AU that included 20 rai and house. He said he gets to keep it. I assume his teerak played a part, but we didn't get into a deep discussion.

I appreciate your help and candor about the agent's Desire for commission (you too Kansuwan).

I've just had my extension renewed and the same experience 5 minutes.

With regard to the consular letter I found it better to go to the consul who quoted my pension gross before tax in the letter. Previously I went to his thai assistant who only quoted the net rate, after tax. With the drop in the pound this can make a big difference. My net pension is now just over the 65,000 limit.

I've just had my extension renewed and the same experience 5 minutes.

With regard to the consular letter I found it better to go to the consul who quoted my pension gross before tax in the letter. Previously I went to his thai assistant who only quoted the net rate, after tax. With the drop in the pound this can make a big difference. My net pension is now just over the 65,000 limit.

I get my letter as a statement of my annual pension for the coming year, so there's no tax deductions shown. Maybe you used a P60 or something and she mistakenly used the net figure. It definitely should be the gross they use.

With the drop in the exchange rate and no annual increases for 2 years, mine falls short, so I needed the letter from the bank to confirm errr, whatever it said, but I also gave them copies of the last 3 months entries in the bank book.

From what I've seen, the Thai runners from the agents do it even faster, as they just walk through to the desk and leave their files there for collection next day, presumably with a tip inside.

I'm sure this process is a nice little earner for them, considering the prices I've heard mentioned.

For anyone who wonders what an Extension of Stay (Retirement) looks like, here's one I got earlier.

Note it is an Extension not a Visa and don't forget your Re-entry Permit if you go out or you won't get back in without a new Visa.

• 4 months later...

Thanks Mick,

I'll be applying for mine in a couple of months time.

Cheers

Gary

On top of that you should consider a Multi Re-Entry Permit for 3800 if you plan to go in and out a lot.

The Single Re-Entry was reduced from 1900 to 1000 so that's confused me as I'm not sure I'll go out more than 4 times.

If you do go out and forget the Re-Entry your Extension of Stay and the Visa it's based on are history and you then have to start from scratch.

Thanks Mick,

I'll be applying for mine in a couple of months time.

Cheers

Gary

Good luck and remember what I said above about Re-Entry Permits.

When I went to Cambodia last November with Mr Dom, I didn't and killed my Visa. :rolleyes::ShitHappens1:

Now I'm on a Tourist Visa and I've got it all to do again.

Maybe see you down there lol.

• 3 weeks later...

Good luck and remember what I said above about Re-Entry Permits.

When I went to Cambodia last November with Mr Dom, I didn't and killed my Visa. :rolleyes::ShitHappens1:

Now I'm on a Tourist Visa and I've got it all to do again.

Maybe see you down there lol.

I'm not going to give too much detail but, with money in the bank (for 7 days lol) from my house sale, I was made aware of certain possibilities to recover my Visa status over the next few months.

I went to Jomtien and tried to get the process started myself, but basically they wouldn't play unless I made a serious donation to the tea fund, in which case a magic wand could be waved.

In a complete about turn to my previous applications, I went for a chat with Paul at Thaivisa Express.

He got the wand waved for me at a good saving over the tea fund quote and I had my Passport back that afternoon.

Suffice to say I'm back on track and in the system with no need for border runs or Tourist Visa treks.

Only 90 day Address Reporting for me now - as long as I remember to get that Multi Re-entry Permit before I go out again.

Thanks Paul.

Only 90 day Address Reporting for me now.

Edge,

What is it they require as proof of where you live, my wife and I bought the house we were renting last month, is a copy of the owners book and perhaps a copy of the marriage cert what they are looking for ????

:Chokdee:

Bam Bam

That which doesn't kill me only makes me stronger

Edge,

What is it they require as proof of where you live, my wife and I bought the house we were renting last month, is a copy of the owners book and perhaps a copy of the marriage cert what they are looking for ????

Bam Bam

Just about anything with the address on it.

I've used a UBC bill (in my name) an Apartment Rental Agreement (not in my name) a copy of the House Book (not in my name) a copy of my Thai Company paper showing the registered address, My Thai Driving Licence (address on back) etc etc.

I generally take several things just in case, but they've always accepted whichever one I offered first.

Just about anything with the address on it.

I've used a UBC bill (in my name) an Apartment Rental Agreement (not in my name) a copy of the House Book (not in my name) a copy of my Thai Company paper showing the registered address, My Thai Driving Licence (address on back) etc etc.

I generally take several things just in case, but they've always accepted whichever one I offered first.

Ta thank you very much

Bam Bam

That which doesn't kill me only makes me stronger

• 6 months later...

I am coming up to the magic 50 soon and want to get my retirement visa in the U.K , is that a simple procedure I live a few hours down the motorway from the Consulate in Hull so was just going to make an appointment and show up with bank, retirement statements etc, sounds simple am i missing something ....

also once in los do i renew every year in jomtien , i think i need a bit of advice fellas my lump sum etc and monthly amount will more than cover the amounts...I hope.

I am coming up to the magic 50 soon and want to get my retirement visa in the U.K , is that a simple procedure I live a few hours down the motorway from the Consulate in Hull so was just going to make an appointment and show up with bank, retirement statements etc, sounds simple am i missing something ....

also once in los do i renew every year in jomtien , i think i need a bit of advice fellas my lump sum etc and monthly amount will more than cover the amounts...I hope.

No, there are two possibilities here :-

1. You could indeed apply for a Retirement Visa in UK, but it's more trouble than it's worth (Medical & CRC) and no, you can't renew it in Thailand, but you could;

2. Apply for an Extension of Stay (Retirement) when you get here. You need to come in on a Tourist Visa or One Year Non Imm O Visa (preferred) and extend that.

The latter is what this OP is describing.

• 6 months later...

WTF - now I'm here...........Bump!

when you do your retirement visa now they give you your passprt back straight away. no returning the next day. i got mine two weeks ago got there at 1300hrs had to wait 20 mins but done and dusted by 1335 very efficient

any holes a goal

• 4 months later...

when you do your retirement visa now they give you your passprt back straight away. no returning the next day. i got mine two weeks ago got there at 1300hrs had to wait 20 mins but done and dusted by 1335 very efficient

I'm planning a re-run of this next week, so it would be nice if I do get my Passport back the same day....assuming that I get it all right again.

One thing I put up there was that you can apply up to 3 months in advance.

I don't know if they changed that or I was wrong, but when I checked I was told that it's 1 month maximum, unless you can produce an air ticket to show that you'll be out longer.

Must remember to get a Multi Re-Entry Permit. :Think1:

• 3 years later...

3 years further on and it's that time of year again.

Thought of going down early but didn't....drifted down about 3.30pm.

The girl at front desk went through my papers.

I was applying on the basis of an Embassy letter confirming income, but she said she needed a copy of my Thai Bank Statement.

I'm not convinced she was right, but I had printed one anyway - not updated and not with 800k either - Thai officer came and looked and they kept it anyway, maybe better than saying she'd got it wrong?

Everything else OK so I got my queue number and went to Counter 8.....only one in front of me, but he stopped me matching the 5 minutes previously.

Thai guy outside went through my papers again.

I had photocopied everything at home, all correct, but he took another copy of the photo page for some reason.

The good news is that they have their own photocopier by the counter now, instead of sending people out for the one copy they forgot while everyone else waits....and they don't charge 5 Baht either.

The girl hadn't mentioned it, but then he asked for proof of address.

I couldn't remember if they wanted that before, but I'd taken a utility bill in my name and that was fine - took a copy and returned original.

All very efficient - gave me a ticket to collect my Passport next day after 2pm - make of that what you will, but it didn't matter to me as I only live 5 minutes away.

Collected it today no problems.

I haven't bothered to get a Multi Re-entry stamp yet as I've no immediate plans to go anywhere......just hope I don't do the same as I did last time I did that and go out without one.   

I am right that the UK got rid of the Honorary Consul in Pattaya aren't I?

Does that now mean one or two trips to the Embassy in Bangkok?

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

Archived