IGNORED

Suvarnabhumi Airport to Pattaya Rail Link in Discussion

Highlander

It seems that discussions are under way with China and Thailand to create a rail network which will include Suvarnabhumi Airport to Pattaya.

Wouldn't that be good but I wonder how long it would take to build, if the Suvarnabhumi Airport to Bangkok rail link is an indication it will take a long time.

Link to Train info

NEWS UPDATE... 10th August, 2010

Thailand ready for rail talks with China BANGKOK, August 10 - Thailand and China are expected to open talks this month on plans to jointly invest in Thailand's new standard-gauge rail link and high-speed train projects

A panel chaired by Korbsak Sabhavasu, secretary-general to Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva, yesterday set up two subcommittees to work out a feasibility study for the projects.

The Thai government wants to invest jointly with China in a high-speed rail line from Suvarnabhumi airport to Rayong on the Eastern Seaboard through Pattaya and Laem Chabang, and a standard-gauge link from China through Vietnam, Laos and Nong Khai in Thailand's northeast to connect with Malaysia and Singapore. A new standard-gauge rail line from Nong Khai to the southern border with Malaysia is expected to cost 300 billion baht. The line would link at Nong Khai to a line China plans to build through Vietnam and Laos.

Mr Korbsak said the high-speed rail project linking Suvarnabhumi and Rayong was estimated to cost 30 billion baht. He said the two subcommittees were required to complete their studies in two weeks. Officials from the two countries are required to complete a draft memorandum of understanding ahead of Mr Abhisit's visit to China scheduled for early next month.

The new rail line would benefit travel through the region as the train network is expected to be built from Kunming through Vietnam, Laos, Thailand and Malaysia to connect with Singapore. The tourism industry would benefit greatly from the new network, Mr Korbsak said. He said the 1,000-kilometre line in Thailand would be developed along the existing State Railway of Thailand track and would take about three years to build.

Trains on the new line would run at 200 kilometres an hour compared with the SRT average of 60km/h. The investment is in addition to 170billion baht earmarked for upgrading the SRT's services and the speed of its trains, Mr Korbsak said. The SRT project is aimed at improving safety standards and increasing speeds on its one metre-gauge lines to between 80km/h and 100km/h from the present 60km/h. Mr Korbsak said a feasibility study for the high-speed train from Bangkok to Rayong would go ahead even if Thailand failed to sign a deal with China.

Source: BANGKOK, 10th August 2010 (Chatrudee Theparat, Bangkok Post, Business)

Edited by Highlander

They should build one like the train from Shanghai airport to the city - 430km/hr. Does the 28km's in 8 minutes.

Could be in Pattaya drinking beer in 20 minutes :GoldenSmile1:

Farang = Walking ATM. TG's push the right buttons and money comes out. PIN = BBBJ

It only took 5 years from signing the contract to the opening of the Suvarnabhumi airport to Bangkok railway.

Considering the distance to Pattaya is farther, could be even longer if all contracts are finalized?

GFE: Gull Friend Experience

Official Pattaya Song

What would happen to the taxi mafia if this happens, will they have there own trains :GoldenSmile1:

CLICK ON THE LINK BELOW FOR FULL DETAILS & COSTS

Building A House In The Village

CLICK ON THE LINK BELOW FOR FULL DETAILS & COSTS

Getting Married In The Village & Bringing Her To The UK

I think the taxi mafia will do fine.

The train is cheap and convenient, but if your plane lands late like mine's did the last few times, your only option is the taxi. Also, the train only takes you to a certain point in Bangkok, you still might have to take another train to your hotel and deal with other things. A taxi is more convenient for me and I'll pay the extra 300 baht for hotel side service (in BKK).

GFE: Gull Friend Experience

Official Pattaya Song

If there was ever a rail link between the airport and Pattaya I think I'd still stick with a taxi. Last month when I arrived at the airport I was met by a pattaya taxi and he got me to my pattaya hotel in just under 90 minutes. And it only cost mw 1000B all inclusive.

Going by taxi I was able to quickly put my luggage in the vehicle and not have to worry about the luggage untill I got dropped off at my hotel.

Where would the train station be built in Pattaya. Over on the darkside I would have thought. And I would then have to get myself and the luggage to my hotel.

Things that makes Pattaya more "convenient" (mainstream, reachable, etc.) will probably spoil it from a bargain hunters point of view.

That's just my opinion, based upon what I've seen elsewhere in Asia, though these sorts of things are virtually inevitable.