IGNORED

Mobile for Thailand

yeahbabe

I go to Thailand twice a year & am interested in buying a cheap phone just to use when i am there.I will be in Pattaya in 2 weeks time. Any advice on where / what type of phone to get .....something prepaid & easy to setup please.

Thanks

I use a cheap phone while I am in pattaya, I just went to Big C, looked for a phone on special offer, paid 900bht, then bought a 12call SIM card (50bht I think), then just top up as needed from any 7-11 or family mart.

Of course you can get cheap phones from TukCom but I just could not be bothered with haggling over 1 or 2 hundred bhat.

"Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character."

If you want to get a phone before you go just look on Ebay for the cheapest, but Amazon and most tech resellers have phones. You want an unlocked, quad-band GSM phone.

'Veni, Vidi, Velcro' - I came, I saw, I stuck around.

When I'm single I like playing the field. You call it picking up hookers. - Jim Norton

Getting a phone is easy. Getting a Thai Sim that doesn't expire after a month or three is a little harder.

If you are interested in keeping the number, this is very helpful for keeping in contact with friends in town on multiple trips, you will want to get one of the Sims that is 12 months expiry.

I got sick of having to send out my new phone number every-time I came to town.

I got mine from a mobile phone shop on the second floor of Big C closest to Second Road. Right near all the arcade machines.

They had sims specifically labeled as 12 months expiry. This also allowed me to choose a number that I liked.

K-Bank also have a function on their website now to top up your phone if you have an account.

"When the going gets weird... the weird turn pro" - Hunter S. Thompson

I have my own phone and usually go to Big C or Tukom and get the cheapest prepaid sim card. Last month that was Happy network sim card that was being sold for 50 Baht. Add 100 Baht credit and you are done. I ask the shop keeper to set it up and charge it because a while back you had to speak Thai to do that, not sure about nowadays, but it is easy to get the seller to do the setup for you.

As others said before, the credit does expire very quickly. But I usually just throw the sim out when I leave Patts and buy another one next time.

Plenty of cheap phones here in Patts at the moment, I bought a Nokia 1616 to put in a club raffle the other day for 699 baht, Big C also had a Motorola going for 690 baht, that special has now finished, one place in Tukcom had a Samsung on special last week for 799 and it's probably still on special.

Like I said plenty of them, not that hard to get a 12 mth sim card here, actually a damn site easier than back in Oz and simple as slipping it in and turning it on, don't know about the other brands, but 1-2-Call send a text, follow the instructions and your done. Each time you top up the credit expiry date will extend another 12mths.

Usually there is a sticker with the number on it with the packaging, stick it on the back of your phone and you won't even need to try and remember your new number.

:Chokdee:

Bam Bam

That which doesn't kill me only makes me stronger

My mother-in-law was here a few weeks ago I bought her a new LG phone for 590 Baht in Tesco Lotus.

Al.

That pretty much covers it............I took a BG that i was with 2 days to tutcom and had her help.

Improving one Issan girls cash flow , one cash grant at a time !

Not sure how the mobiles work in Australia, but if the phone is not locked to your provider there you can use the same phone just swap the sim. When you buy the sim, ask for one for resident not tourist. The tourist ones will expire quicker. Once you add baht to your phone you will get a message you have XXX baht good until XXXX date. Each time you add baht the date is extended. I have Happy and that one does not go beyond 1 year being valid.

• 1 month later...

I picked up a Motorola phone from eBay before I left. I just had to make sure the charger was the correct voltage. Cost me about US$20 shipped. Quick stop at 7/11 and I was in business in the taxi from BKK. I missed not having a camera phone, but it was nice knowing I didn't have to worry about losing it.