IGNORED

Unhelpful Agoda Customer Service

devil_corp

A week or so ago I tried to book rooms through Agoda's online booking portal. My booking was problematic because I had to do a group booking for 5 people who were either arriving or departing on different dates. Sensing this was a recipe for disaster, I contacted their customer service through mail and their "24/7" live chat. I asked if the prices would remain the same. They replied with what amounted to me as a yes, there wouldn't be any problems.

24/7 Live Chat customer service also replied after what seemed like 24 mins and 7 secs (so that's what they mean) and said this booking shouldn't pose a problem and they couldn't make the booking for me even after I painstakingly reiterated that I wouldn't want to be charged extra and I wanted the same published online rates.

I went ahead and completed the booking. And you guessed it, after the first booking, the prices went up. After I did the second round of bookings, it went up even more. I had no choice but to pay up as I was already committed. I wrote another email to complain and they said they could do nothing about it and even suggested that the prices were the same on their computer screen.

After calculations, I was charged 4% more for the exact same rooms on the second and 9% more on the third rounds of bookings. I am really unhappy about this because the customer service is really crappy. And to add insult to injury, the amount charged on my credit card statement was more than what was reflected on agoda's receipts. However, I concede this could be my banks fault. Still, I expected better treatment. What a terrible way to start a trip.

Most times many web sites try the bait and switch or add on's like wifi, taxes, services fees etc... I've always found it easiest to contact directly to properties and book direct. If you go a % below their listed price or a low on line price that you see many times you can avoid this type of item.

They save a service fee and you save fees...

Overall I've heard more horror stories about Agoda then it is worth it. LateStays, Wotif and others I've heard better items then about Agoda. I do know the owner of two hotel booking sites that does pretty good in Thai properties but he's mostly BKK based with a fewer good Pattaya deals. Atleast I know he's honest.

www.thaihoteldiscounts.com

http://www.otelrooms.com/

Trying to Stay Out Of Trouble, But It Isn't Working

Sorry to hear that, they normally seem to be good

"the amount charged on my credit card statement was more than what was reflected on agoda's receipts."

Have you asked for a refund?

I'm planning to. Not sure if I should bring up the matter with my bank, agoda or both. Thanks for the recommendation.

ha, ive just had to deal with Agoda this very moment, parents going on holiday but i was booking there hotels and flights, booked there hotel via Agoda and then came across the paperwork to say that my cards not going to be there,

customer service person i spoke to was like having a conversation with a brick wall atleast the brick wall would of gave a bit more of a conversation.

anyway managed to get the booking cancelled because the hotel had not actually confirmed yet. now im just waiting to see if they actually do cancel it or how much they charge me for it..

Most times many web sites try the bait and switch or add on's like wifi, taxes, services fees etc... I've always found it easiest to contact directly to properties and book direct. If you go a % below their listed price or a low on line price that you see many times you can avoid this type of item.

They save a service fee and you save fees...

Overall I've heard more horror stories about Agoda then it is worth it. LateStays, Wotif and others I've heard better items then about Agoda. I do know the owner of two hotel booking sites that does pretty good in Thai properties but he's mostly BKK based with a fewer good Pattaya deals. Atleast I know he's honest.

www.thaihoteldiscounts.com

http://www.otelrooms.com/

Otelrooms books through Agoda, but Tim, who's site it is is very helpful,.

I have used agoda lots of times all over asia and never had a problem with the bookings (never tried multiple rooms)

I did use the customer online service once and found it to be a waste of time as they just couldnt grasp what I was trying to ask.

Farang = Walking ATM. TG's push the right buttons and money comes out. PIN = BBBJ

Sorry to here about your trouble with them. I used them to book a couple of time found them cheaper then Wotif...

I had trouble with a double booking for rooms on my last visit to Pattaya, i was after 2 rooms on the same dates but booked them at different times. the auto system wouldn't let me book both rooms in the same name for the same time. The customer service was a bit slow for me about 5 minute but not enough to complain about. She told me to change the name of the person staying in the 2nd room it worked ok for me....

What i don't get is why when you email a motel up to ask for a booking then never beat what you can get on line with sites like Wotif or Agoda. Once when i was in Bangkok I checked the prices online then went down i went to reception to get the room extended for 3 extra night. She quoted a price double what was online, I told her what the online price was and she agree that was the online price but couldn't give it to me at that price. I thanked her for trying went back upstairs booked the room for the cheaper price and took the number from the booking back down stairs and got the same room for cheaper......

It's really a hit and miss affair when it comes to dealing direct with the hotel. I've found that maybe 3 in 10 hotels can beat Agoda's price.But it's definitely worth a shot. I was looking for Fraser's Pattaya contact but only the BKK sales office was listed. And they weren't too helpful. So I had no choice but to use Agoda.

Their customer service is absolutely useless !!

I booked a hotel in Beijing and noticed a discrepecny in the hotel adress between Agoda and the hotels website, I asked the 24/7 help to confirm with the hotel the correct adress and email to me. Guess what they emailed me the wrong adress !! and i didnt find out until i was in a taxi trying to find the fooking place !

also you have to be carefull with their rates , whilst they may look cheaper, many times they dont include wifi, taxes , service charges ect

the amount charged on my credit card statement was more than what was reflected on agoda's receipts.

I've booked a bunch of rooms with Agoda. Depending on what currency you are actually charged in (not just what currency is displayed on the site) your credit card company might charge a fee for "foreign currency."

I've only ever found Agoda to be cheaper for 1 hotel i've been interested in - and that was such a small saving I decided to book direct and bypass a 3rd-party customer service team. Your experience would suggest i did the right thing. Most times they quote a random 'original' price, discount that and then jack it up again with taxes and fees. You get some sort of bonus to put towards other bookings...but if the prices are already inflated, how do you actually benefit ?