IGNORED

Passport for baby with Thai Mother/Uk Father.

stevejfh

I know this section is titled 'Visas', but this seemed the best place to put this thread.

6 weeks ago my Teerak gave birth to our 1st child, the lovely Sofia, in Khon Kaen. The Thai side of her family have had the opportunity to fuss over her, buy her presents, etc, etc, but now we'd like to bring her to meet the English side of her family. She is a British citizen by descent & therefore entitled to a British passport. I'm trying to get this for her, but it's not proving striaght-forward.

I began by ringing the passport office here in The UK. They told me that she can't apply for a passport in The UK unless she's living here. Call The British Embassy in Bangkok. I do that & they tell me that they no longer deal with this & all applications are dealt with in Hong-Kong. They also gave me an 0208 (London) number to call. When I called this number they wanted my credit card details before they'd talk with me! Call me tight if you wish, but I hung up!

I managed to find an application form on the ukinhongkong website, but it says that, contrary to what The Embassy in Bangkok told me, the forms have to be returned to Bangkok!

Have any board members been through this process before & can point me in the right direction?

Thanks.

Why not bring your wife and baby to the uk on a holiday visa. Then once you are in the UK there is no way the UK passport authority would have the balls to turn down a passport application for a UK citizen when they are in the UK

They no longer renew passports at the embassy/consulat in BKK. But they will process the paperwork for new (1st time) as well as replacements for lost/stolen passports in BKK. The renewal of all UK passports in the area are now being processed in HK.

Here are a few links that should help:

Confirming that new (1st time applicants) passports should still be processed in BKK:

http://ukinthailand.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for-british-nationals/passports/

http://ukinhongkong.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for-british-nationals/passports/apply-from-se-asia/thailand/

How to apply:

http://ukinhongkong.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for-british-nationals/passports/apply-from-se-asia/thailand/other-categories

Even for 1st time applicants the actual passport is processed in HK, but they at least will do the front end work via the consulate office in BKK or Chang Mai.

You apply in Thailand for your passport you register the birth at the embassy and you send your application to Hong Kong pop across to see me.

It recently took 3 weeks for the passport to arrive.

Why would he want to travel to the UK and pay a visa fee for the child ?

Thai Visa Express

Registered UK Immigration Consultants 

OISC F200700163 UK Immigration Consultants

Impartial UK Immigration Advice - Expect An Honest Visa Assessment - NO Win No Agents Fees.

Web: www.thaivisa-express.com

Face Book : Thaivisaexpressthailand

OISC : https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/office-of-the-immigration-services-commissioner

Email : [email protected]

Tel : 0801022328

Tel :038420313

Tel UK : 020 -0281 -338 -059

You apply in Thailand for your passport you register the birth at the embassy and you send your application to Hong Kong pop across to see me.

It recently took 3 weeks for the passport to arrive.

Why would he want to travel to the UK and pay a visa fee for the child ?

Thanks for your reply.

To clarify, I'm back in The UK now (and missing my 2 ladies real bad!) with no immediate travel plans for another trip to LOS. It suits our situation far better to get the 2 of them over here.

I have some really simple questions which I'm astonished I can't find the answers to on The UK Embassy's website (no doubt to ensure plenty of people are ringing the extortionate help-line).

Can you post the application forms to them or do you have to apply in person?

It says that Visa card is an acceptable form of payment, but there is nowhere on the application form to put card details! Do they call you for card details? Do I just write them on a seperate piece of paper?

And they want the photos signed by a professional person in The UK to say it's a true likeness. Er... without a passport in the 1st place, no-one here can see her to judge?!!

Thanks again.