IGNORED

Bangkok Airport Train

Bakwan

The high-speed rail connection between Suvarnabhumi airport and downtown Bangkok will begin service on 23 August 2010, according to their Website which you can find Here. It's hard to believe that it's finally going to happen. I wonder how this will affect the taxi drivers and touts.

Bakwan

Yeah it has been a while in the making so glad it is finally coming.

I just wish they would do a link to Pattaya.

will slow the taxi trade down somewhat.

Farang = Walking ATM. TG's push the right buttons and money comes out. PIN = BBBJ

but you still have to get from the train station to your motel.

the cost will go down but your wait will go up...

If there is much traffic and if you are in hurry and your hotel is near the Train, this is a great thing. Can save you more than an hour

I wonder how long it will be until they open up the stations after on nut??

I wonder how long it will be until they open up the stations after on nut??

Don't hold your breathe

Don't hold your breathe

I'm not. I was right next to on nut station which was always a clusterfuck being the end station but now I'm living out in the suburbs.

The high-speed rail connection between Suvarnabhumi airport and downtown Bangkok will begin service on 23 August 2010, according to their Website which you can find Here. It's hard to believe that it's finally going to happen. I wonder how this will affect the taxi drivers and touts.

Bakwan

Just looking at the map on this site for the new route, it mentions Asoke in the notes on the route but the map does not show that stop ? so can I get to Asoke from the airport ?

If God hadn't meant you to eat it , he wouldn't have made it look like a taco !

I'd rather burn out than rust away !

Just looking at the map on this site for the new route, it mentions Asoke in the notes on the route but the map does not show that stop ? so can I get to Asoke from the airport ?

I'm a bit confused about that also and, of course, haven't tried it since the service hasn't started yet. But they mention "City Line commuter trips" and I assume that's some sort of service from the Express Train to various places (including Asoke) - sort of a shuttle service. If nothing else, you could get a taxi from the Express Train to Asoke (less cost, and probably faster, than a taxi from the airport).

Bakwan

I'm a bit confused about that also and, of course, haven't tried it since the service hasn't started yet. But they mention "City Line commuter trips" and I assume that's some sort of service from the Express Train to various places (including Asoke) - sort of a shuttle service. If nothing else, you could get a taxi from the Express Train to Asoke (less cost, and probably faster, than a taxi from the airport).

Bakwan

Glad I'm not the only one confused !

You can get to Asoke, but not directly.

Take a look at wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suvarnabhumi_Airport_Link

The airport rail link connects (kind of) to the MRT (Makkasan station), and the BTS (Phaya Thai station). As I understand it the stations don't actualy connect. So if you want to get to Asoke you would take the airport rail link to Phaya Thai station get off the train, exit the station, go to the Phaya Thai BTS station, then take the BTS to Asoke. Alternatively you could take the rail link to Makkasan station, get off the train, exit the station, got to the MRT (Phetchaburi station) and take the MRT to the Sukhumvit station (which is right at Asoke).

You can get to Asoke, but not directly.

Take a look at wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suvarnabhumi_Airport_Link

The airport rail link connects (kind of) to the MRT (Makkasan station), and the BTS (Phaya Thai station). As I understand it the stations don't actualy connect. So if you want to get to Asoke you would take the airport rail link to Phaya Thai station get off the train, exit the station, go to the Phaya Thai BTS station, then take the BTS to Asoke. Alternatively you could take the rail link to Makkasan station, get off the train, exit the station, got to the MRT (Phetchaburi station) and take the MRT to the Sukhumvit station (which is right at Asoke).

Ok thanks , sounds like a bit of a pain though when arriving late at night with luggage, maybe a taxi would be easier ?

Have my doubts about travelers jumping onto the underground to get to Asoke -

1) The trains can be crowded - the may be less than happy to see the farang with his piano case sized trunk

2) Security checkpoints - you'll have to be inspected when entering the underground station - good luck with that

3) Hours of operation may be a problem - getting in after midnight?

4) I'm waiting for King Power to come up with some scam to accuse more tourists of theft - "I know you put that carton of cigarettes in your secured luggage before you had gotten it from the baggage carousel!"

5) As mentioned earlier - the taxi mafia is already upset about the loss of airport fares - now mongers will cut them out of the 75B from Thani to Suk - I have my doubts.

All this being said, the skytrain link is great - the hour from the airport to hotel is the most miserable part of the journey - I can't wait to take a shower after the long flight (yes, there are some other things I also cannot wait to do.....)

Best wishes!

Bakwan

That is not an officia(their) l website, just setup by some guy selling ads but good enough for basic info

Looks like the last train from the airport is at 7.00pm. No good for all those flights that get in late at night unfortunately.

My linkfound this the other day , hope the link works ,from the nation on the 9th saying that the rail link will be open on the 23rd august

"And were you pleased?" they asked Helen in Hell.

"Pleased?" answered she,when all Troy's towers fell;

And dead were Priam´s sons, and lost his throne?

And such a war was fought as none had known;

And even the Gods took part; and all because

Of me alone! Pleased?

I should say I was!"

Lord Dunsany

• 4 weeks later...

I tried the airport train last night to get to my hotel in Sukhumvit Soi 19 as only had hand carry luggage. Train service is excellent, I cleared customs at 1840 and took the escalators down to the basement. Paid B100 for the Express Service and had a wait of about 10 minutes before train departed - they leave every 15 minutes. Trip into Makkasan Station was very smooth and took just under 15 minutes. The Makkasan Station is large & impressive. From there things got a bit trickier. Had read that it was possible to transfer to the MRT, so followed the signs which led me out to a dark roadway underneath the expressway. Followed the signs (which were now just large paper sheets glued to walls) to Asoke but couldn't see any more directions to MRT. I think I was about half way between Phra Ram and Phetchaburi Stations. Managed to cross the road and catch a taxi to my hotel for B45. Total trip 1 hour from clearing customs.

I would recommend using this service during rush hour, however to get by train all the way to Sukhumvit would entail taking the slower city service from the airport to Phaya Thai Station and transferring to the skytrain there. The City Service is also cheaper (15B). There were also signs in the Makkasan Air Terminal for a taxi rank, so easier to grab one from there rather than walking out to roadway.

I tried the airport train last night to get to my hotel in Sukhumvit Soi 19 as only had hand carry luggage. Train service is excellent, I cleared customs at 1840 and took the escalators down to the basement. Paid B100 for the Express Service and had a wait of about 10 minutes before train departed - they leave every 15 minutes. Trip into Makkasan Station was very smooth and took just under 15 minutes. The Makkasan Station is large & impressive. From there things got a bit trickier. Had read that it was possible to transfer to the MRT, so followed the signs which led me out to a dark roadway underneath the expressway. Followed the signs (which were now just large paper sheets glued to walls) to Asoke but couldn't see any more directions to MRT. I think I was about half way between Phra Ram and Phetchaburi Stations. Managed to cross the road and catch a taxi to my hotel for B45. Total trip 1 hour from clearing customs.

I would recommend using this service during rush hour, however to get by train all the way to Sukhumvit would entail taking the slower city service from the airport to Phaya Thai Station and transferring to the skytrain there. The City Service is also cheaper (15B). There were also signs in the Makkasan Air Terminal for a taxi rank, so easier to grab one from there rather than walking out to roadway.

Cheers for the review above - am looking at doing the cityline to phaya thai so depending on the weather/flight delay will report back on that after i try it out. :001_Thank_You5:

Will be going to BKK next week. Definitely will try the airport link. From the website of the airport link, it seems to be very good particularly during heavy traffic time. Taxi can take up to more than an hour to get to central BKK during peak time. The finishing station is very close to Siam Central and can take the BTS to go to other part of the city.

Will post review after my virgin ride.

Going to BKK tomorrow and is staying at Amada DMK hotel on the opposite side of Makkasan station. Flight arrive at 9:00pm. Will try the Airport link to check it out. Will post my findings after my adventure.

• 2 weeks later...

Had tried the rail link last Week. My flight arrive at 9:00pm on Friday. After clearance, walked to the B level at about 10pm. Got onto the City line very quickly and cost 15B. The ticket machines were not working yet and the security guard directed passengers to the ticket counter to purchase the tickets. Quite a number to people using it but not packed. The trip is very smooth and took less than 15 minutes to Makkasan station.

Got off at Makkasan station. Huge station but not 100% completed. Diagram and maps are not obviously displayed (not sure they actually available in the station). I asked the ticket counter for a route map or leaflet but was told they had not got any. The airlines check-in section was still empty. Quite a long walk to the taxi stand or exit. They did have escalators and lifts so carrying big luggage was not an issue. The station was not finished and was surrounded by fence. Signage was hopeless.

Caught a taxi to my hotel just opposite (about 250m) but was taken to Ratchapraprop station first then back. Don't know whether he did in on purpose. Interestingly, the taxi I got on did the same think onmy return trip to the airport 2 days later. He dropped me off at Ratchaprarop station (the station after Makkasan towards the city)instead. May be the taxi driver still did not understand which station was which. Ratchapraprop station is in Pratunam is quite close to Central World (which is supposed to be reopen this week).

• 4 weeks later...

Had tried the rail link last Week. My flight arrive at 9:00pm on Friday. After clearance, walked to the B level at about 10pm. Got onto the City line very quickly and cost 15B. The ticket machines were not working yet and the security guard directed passengers to the ticket counter to purchase the tickets. Quite a number to people using it but not packed. The trip is very smooth and took less than 15 minutes to Makkasan station.

Got off at Makkasan station. Huge station but not 100% completed. Diagram and maps are not obviously displayed (not sure they actually available in the station). I asked the ticket counter for a route map or leaflet but was told they had not got any. The airlines check-in section was still empty. Quite a long walk to the taxi stand or exit. They did have escalators and lifts so carrying big luggage was not an issue. The station was not finished and was surrounded by fence. Signage was hopeless.

Caught a taxi to my hotel just opposite (about 250m) but was taken to Ratchapraprop station first then back. Don't know whether he did in on purpose. Interestingly, the taxi I got on did the same think onmy return trip to the airport 2 days later. He dropped me off at Ratchaprarop station (the station after Makkasan towards the city)instead. May be the taxi driver still did not understand which station was which. Ratchapraprop station is in Pratunam is quite close to Central World (which is supposed to be reopen this week).

MY88888 has summed it up nicely re the link and the problems you will have at Makassan. My review (albeit late) is that I arrived about 7ish on a Friday, and the signage at Swampy and the sirport train link itself are very good if you're travelling light. My original plan of going to Phaya Thai and swapping to the BTS I binned as i had a largish bag and thought i'd struggle to get on to the BTS at that time of day with it, so got off at Makassan. The station itslef is impressive - big, airy and light, but is nowhere near finished re signage, the automatic barriers and ticket machines, or the promised check-in facilities. The directions for the taxi were hopeless and very cabs came - its a good distance from the main road, and it took 20 mins for 3 cabs to turn up and there were plenty of waiting customers. The reason for the taxi going via Ratchapraprop for me was that all the other exit roads are either yet to be finished or were coned off, so there was only one exit which took you away from Sumkumvit north, so that was the quickest route for the driver to get to the Ibis on Nana.As others have already commented it'll be a good cheap option for those travelling light.